Web 'turns people into goldfish'

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
02/23/02 02:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
In reply to:

A US EXPERT RECKONS obsessive web browsing can cause attention spans to drop to as little as nine seconds - equivalent to a goldfish.
"Our attention span gets affected by the way we do things," says Ted Selker, a professor at MIT. "If we spend our time flitting from one thing to another on the web, we can get into a habit of not concentrating," he told the BBC.

check out the complete article:
http://www.theinquirer.net/22020216.htm

read it and be warned ;-)
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
02/23/02 05:17 PM

Sorry, that was awfully wordy. Could you summarize for me? I've got pages to see, the web to surf.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
NathanKell
02/23/02 07:17 PM

Durnit, it took me a whole 10 seconds to get that! I'm slipping!
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Black_Phoenix
02/23/02 10:18 PM

That post is so full of (deleted). I mean after all.......um, what were talking about again? Oh, well. Time is... something or other.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Bob_Richter
02/23/02 10:27 PM

As my father always says, "consider the source."

Wait. What was I talking about?
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Nightmare
02/24/02 11:34 AM

Sounds like channel surfing your TV set?
Hey, I need to go to another site already!
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
SoyBigHead
02/24/02 08:50 PM

i luv goldfishes cuz they're so delicious...gone goldfishing
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
Nightward
02/24/02 09:02 PM

iwasgoingtopostareplytothisbutthenareallyhotchickwal;kedpastandigotconfusedbecauseshesaidhiandtheninoticediwaswearingblacksocksandohlookivegonecrosseyed

Hmmm. I think Goldfish actually have 3-second attention span. This explains their behaviour (ie, swimming in circles) because they say 'Oho, I have not been there yet', and when they arrive they see where they have come from, swim back, and it all starts again.

I would be more concerned with the Sesame Street Conspiracy
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Black_Phoenix
02/25/02 07:28 AM

*Whisper* He forgot to meantion that he paid her.

*Normal Voice* Oh, hello Nightward. We were just taking about you.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

Nightward
02/25/02 06:22 PM

*Thwack*

Yes. I am only average looking, but I am exquisitely polite and refrain from swearing around women. This has gotten around through the Science female students and now they argue over who gets to be my lab partner.

I am never going to get anywhere, but it's kinda nice.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Black_Phoenix
02/25/02 09:56 PM

Wow, the ladies in your science class are that afraid of you?

You've probably got better luck then me.

Black_Phoenix
02/26/02 07:28 AM

Hey, at least people only think you are depressed. I don't smile and I keep my eyes half closed (I hate bright lights, especially when there is a white wall nearby), so I've gotten everything from depressed to stoned (?). Oh well, let them think what they want.

Nightward
02/26/02 03:58 PM

Meh. I think it's the novelty factor of seeing a male capable of stringing more than 3 words together without using an expletive. This is unusual in any male, particularly an Australian one...
KamikazeJohnson
02/26/02 04:01 PM

What the %$#$C is that supposed to ^%##$ mean, you ^%#$%@$ piece of $%@#@#@%^%*$%#@*(*(^%@@!# ?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
02/26/02 04:18 PM

Ah.

Case in point, no?

Black_Phoenix
02/26/02 04:25 PM

Hey, you watch your @!*$# mouth. @&#*@! like you shouldn't *#(@!& talk so much. You *#*@&!.

Black_Phoenix
02/26/02 04:28 PM

Could be worse. Among the small group of friends I have a greeting includes insulting, cussing and puching. All in good friendship though.

Nightward
02/26/02 04:32 PM

So it's a case of 'Oh, Hi....ooops. Broke your nose!', then?

I would be talking to you on Messenger but those asses at MSN have cripple the download site again.
Black_Phoenix
02/26/02 04:37 PM

Not that much of a greeting. More like just punching each other in the arm (and I've got one friend that can hit the same spot each time).

>>I would be talking to you on Messenger but those asses at MSN have cripple the download site again.>>

That figure, doesn't it? Never trust MSN (they're out to get ya).

Nightward
02/26/02 04:39 PM

Accursed Micro$oft. We will all be forced to 'Upgrade' to XP in the next few years at obscene prices...
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4270

Contact Admins Sarna.net