Hollings York

Pages: 1
NathanKell
03/02/02 07:35 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Not to steal Cray's thunder, but his post reminded me of another ComStar incident.

{NB: since I have but FM: CS and the BT timeline to go off of, and not the CS SB, this info may be wrong / distorted / whatever}

{Part One, Alternate History}
Hollings York. Tried to disband ROM, was assasinated. What if he succeeded? Or, for that matter, could he?

{Part Two, Real History...but hidden}
Also...we all know that Adrienne Sims had rather...detailed (and accurate!) visions. An in-universe source (in Explorer Corps SB, an excerpt from "I Want to Believe") speculates that she might be a Wolverine / MT plant.

What if (and this idea I'm slowly working on) she's not.
But York is.
Now, things play out in one of 3+ ways:
1.) Despite her being distant enough to be an acceptable (to ROM) replacement, she's York's (probably secret) ally. Perhaps he confided in her? Perhaps he did some tricky psych stuff and she's not a conscious ally, or is, but the visions are induced?
2.) He confides / does whatever, but she *encourages* ROM to assasinate him, because she doesn't trust a foreign-power agent on principle.
3.) The assassination was *all* a plot. Hollings York planned the whole deal (perhaps he even was willing to die, just to make it work...or perhaps advanced Wolverine technology let him escape?)

4+) ????

Anyways, since I lack CS SB, this may be pre-empted by canon evidence / history I'm not aware of. Barring that, or even in spite of...

Whatcha think?
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
03/02/02 11:25 PM

Comstar without ROM is hard to picture. A lot depends on the attitude of succeeding Primuses. The folks who would splinter off to form WOB were the descendants of a long chain of Comstar conservatives by York's death in the 2900s. By this point, proto-WOBblies had been involved in Operation Holy Shroud, re-igniting the second and third Succession Wars, and generally attempting to knock mankind back into the *coughcough* Dark Age so it could rescue them.

What I'm getting at is that ROM was not the source of this evil - it was the tool through which the taint acted. Take away ROM and I suspect the Comstar conservatives would find other means to do their dirty work.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
NathanKell
03/03/02 12:40 AM

Hmmm. Quite.
Ah well.

So what about Part Two?

Your point makes the idea that in fact the abolishment of ROM was a botched attempt at reform by a well-intentioned foreign agent rather interesting, IMO (since it also, by your points, seems that anyone who "grew up" in ComStar, as it were, would know better).
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
03/03/02 01:50 PM

Part 2? Sims encourages the assassination of York? End result seems to be the same as what FASA wrote. ROM continues, York is dead.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
NathanKell
03/03/02 02:13 PM

Ah, I rather meant the entirety of Part Two (i.e. ideas 1-3) where the main idea is that York is the plant, rather than Sims (since for some reason I find it hard to believe that Sims herself is a plant...dunno why...).
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2992

Contact Admins Sarna.net