Sagittaire IIC

Pages: 1
Black_Phoenix
03/17/02 01:37 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Before I start this post I must thank Cray for a suggestion he offered when I posted this at CBT. Instead of the normal ER PPC I he suggested a Large Pulse Laser, I agree that a LPL is a better weapon and so this mech mounts a third one.

Sagittaire IIC (Drawing Board Mech)

Tech: Clan
Tonnage: 95
Type: Biped

Internals: Standard
Engine: XL Fusion
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 3

Heat Sinks: 18 [36]
Armor: Standard

H: 9
CT: 44/15
R/LT: 30/10
R/LA: 31
R/LL: 39

Weapons & Ammo
Large Pulse Laser- LT
Large Pulse Laser- LA
Large Pulse Laser- RA
2 Medium Pulse Lasers- RA
2 Medium Pulse Lasers- LA
Medium Pulse Laser- RT
Medium Pulse Laser- CT(R)
Medium Pulse Laser- H(R)
Targeting Computer (7 crits)- RT
Jump Jet- RL
Jump Jet- CT
Jump Jet- LL

HS: 1 LA, 4 LT, 1 RT, 1 RA
No Lower Arm or Hand actuators

BV: 2,851
Cost: 20,177,625
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Karagin
03/18/02 08:02 PM

Once again I must point out that the name of this mech is taken form 4th centuary Roman archers...where are the missile weapons????????
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
novakitty
03/18/02 08:28 PM

Why must an archer be paralleled with missiles? If that beleif was held, the Trebuchet and Catapult would be artillery mechs. It has enough range to validate the name, even without missiles.
meow
Hellbringer
03/18/02 08:32 PM

Yeah...I don't see any Atlas's holding the heavens on their shoulders either. :-P
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Karagin
03/18/02 09:34 PM

Given that for the most part each mech that has a name from some form of bow and arrow armed warrior has missiles the preisident was set by those mechs.

The Sagittaire from the TR3067 has ONE ranged weapon, an that is the ER PPC on it. The rest of it's weapons are all engery ones, no missiles nothing to suggest that the designer had any idea of what the name meant or took the time to look at the mechs that were based off of archery weaponary for the names had.

As for the two mechs you pointed out, they BOTH have missiles and their IS an artillery version of the Catapult...
Karagin

novakitty
03/18/02 10:21 PM

Your argument is weak and flawed. The names of mechs do not neccessarily reflect the origin of the name. This is seen in many mechs of stock design. Condemning a fan-built variant for not holding up to a rule that the official mechs do not follow is foolishness. If you wish to complain about mechs not resembling the origins of the names, start by spamming former FASA employees, especially when the custom mech is a IIC variation of one of thier mechs made with the intent of keeping the original designers pattern to the mech.
A mech's name is chosen most often by whatever word sounds fitting, not the term that is historically appropriate.
meow
Karagin
03/19/02 12:57 AM

Excuse me? Each mech that is named after an archery weapon has at least a missile system on it. So far NO variant of the Sagittaire fan or offical has even tried to follow the set status of atleast paying homage to the idea that a mech with a name of an archery weapon has at least one missile system on it.

And yes the name does have some baring on the mech weapon load out, take a look at the original TR3025 and look at each mech that is named after a some form of arrow weapon does it not have at least ONE missile system? The Rifleman has it's autocannon, just a rifleman would have his rifle...

If you have not noticed, the original mech, I do believe the thread is below somewhere on this board, is NOT well liked since it's nothing more then a munch mobile with the pulse targ combo and this attempt at making a Clan version is again not straying from the munch origins of the original...
Karagin

novakitty
03/19/02 01:26 AM

If you are an opponent of the original design, then it is no wonder that you are an opponent of the refit. You should warn a person of that before condemning their efforts.
meow
Karagin
03/19/02 01:27 AM

You have a point, and I should have.
Karagin

CrayModerator
03/19/02 06:39 AM

Karagin, you do know the Sagittaire is a FanPro-designed mech going into the TR:3067, right?

Your question is directed at the wrong person entirely. You should ask this in the General forum either here or on CBT, or maybe pester Randall Bills about it.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
03/19/02 06:57 AM

Cray did you know that I knew that already about the mech being in the 3067 TR?

The point is still valid...
Karagin

CrayModerator
03/19/02 07:07 AM

No, I didn't know, not from your opening complaint.

The point may be valid, but complaining in Black Phoenix's thread is not the place to do it.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
03/19/02 07:10 AM

How is it not the place? He took the munchist mech and made even munchier and still can't figure out that the darn thing is named after late 4th century AD Roman light skirmish archers...

Besides what good is it going to do to point that out to Randal? The book is alreay at the printers...
Karagin

Black_Phoenix
03/19/02 07:46 AM

Okay, first off, who cares? It's only a game. The name makes little difference.

Second, how many people actually knew what the word meant? 'Cause I had no clue. I just like the design.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

CrayModerator
03/19/02 11:06 AM

>still can't figure out that the darn thing is named after late 4th century AD Roman light skirmish archers...

Why is that Black Phoenix's issue to figure out? Why is that in anyway related to how munchy the design is?

Your question rates a thread of its own.

Karagin
03/19/02 12:22 PM

Do your home work a little better next time, Longbow has missiles as does the battledroid the Crossbow and the Clan version of the same. Also the Apollo has missiles since according to Homer the Greek god Apollo used a bow and arrow...

Other Arrow like weapons for which mechs are named after have missiles on it like the Javelin for starters...so the precident was set and followed for the most part. As to why it wasn't for the original version of the Sagittaire well I guess Randall would be the one to ask...
Karagin

Karagin
03/19/02 12:41 PM

You win, it clear that nothing I point out about the mechs in question having missiles and their names come form the use of or in name of the arrow useage weapons or weapon users is going to get you to see my point, so let's move on.

You win.
Karagin

CrayModerator
03/19/02 03:49 PM

You're going to take this as fault finding, but I mean it as constructive criticism:

Why didn't you say, "Touche! Good points, Zippy. I was talking a bit more broadly, though, about the mechs in question having missiles and their names being from missile tossing weapons and/or warriors"?

I mean, you REALLY have the power to avoid this nastiness you bring on yourself, but with a poor sport attitude seen in the words, "You win, it clear that nothing I point out..."

Sure, other people have their fault in the flames but, geez, recognize there are alternative responses you can use to end a thread without BEGGING for more nasty responses.

Karagin
03/19/02 03:54 PM

It's over let it die...
Karagin

NathanKell
03/19/02 10:05 PM

Indeed, it was over here.
And I, for one, am rather interested that that's what Sagittaire means...
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
03/19/02 10:21 PM

The info comes from the Osprey Book on Late Roman Infantry. I will get the actually title of the series and the number and post it in the morning. But it's there talking about how these were light archers who acted as skirmishers along with javelinmen and few other troops.

I wonder if the same mech style could not be done say on a 65 ton chassis, keep the same name and weapons and be better able to live up to it's name? Or should it have missiles?

That gives me something to mess around with tomorrow at work...
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7058

Contact Admins Sarna.net