IQ tests

Pages: 1
Greyslayer
05/31/02 04:29 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A funny thing happened yesterday. My gf sends me an email asking me to do some quiz she made on quizfriends.com where one question went similar to this:

Q: <GF's name> is:

a) blah blah
b) blah blah
c) blah blah
d) Smarter than you
e) blah blah
(with blah blah meaning something but inconsequential to the actual story). Of course knowing my gf well enough I selected d).

Later she did an online IQ test at www.emode.com and came back with a result of 131. Not bad as I knew the gradients and she wasn't far off Genius. I did the same test while watching tv at work and got 136 . She did another test on www.iqtest.com and again came back with 131 so first thing I did when I got up this morning was do the same test and came back with 155. She now wants best of 5 tests .

Of course being the poor winner than I am I have been rubbing her nose in it *grinz*

There is one thing though a high IQ in no way means that a person is more intelligent than another in everything. In fact most Nobel Prize winners for science rarely figure above 120, but still its good to have the edge over your gf .

Greyslayer
novakitty
05/31/02 09:44 AM

Irony is the greatest justice.
meow
KamikazeJohnson
05/31/02 06:35 PM

heh...try this one...I defy anyone to make sense of question B5 :-\

http://www.surfonby.com/
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson

Edited by KamikazeJohnson (05/31/02 06:52 PM)
Bob_Richter
05/31/02 06:43 PM

But you knew that.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
KamikazeJohnson
05/31/02 07:25 PM

Espacially when the person taking the test is smarter than the person who set up the test...as in my case
--Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
05/31/02 07:28 PM

almost by definition.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
KamikazeJohnson
06/01/02 04:39 PM

I heard a story about a woman (a mathematician, in India, IIRC), who scored a 236 on an official IQ test...the highest possible result on that test...scary
--Thomas Jefferson
Spartan
06/02/02 02:43 AM

Most IQ tests IIRC are biased towards people with that kind of background. Not intentionally, just that many of the questions asked require skills mathematicians have in spades.

I've taken some different tests and have had my IQ range from 130 to as high as 165. (incidentally, I have a degree in math) A better way of testing is to use tests that are geared to something more specific. After all, someone who can do advanced partial differential equations in their head might have the social skills of a howler monkey. Where as someone who couldn't count to 2 might be able to recite every line Shakespeare ever wrote. I had a prof who could speak four languages and was a math genius but could not do even simple arithmetic without writing it down.

But, our society has an obsession with quanitfying or diagnosing *everything*. So, people still try to imagine IQ tests as being useful. And that Freud is the best source of pyscholgical data, when in fact, most of his theories have been proven wrong. Not to mention that he was a coccaine addict who probably needed as much if not more head shrinking than his patients.

Well, now that I've begun rambling and going off on tangents I think it best to stop typing. This post anyways.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Spartan
06/02/02 03:06 AM

Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Black_Phoenix
06/02/02 10:47 AM

>>Imagine if I actually paid attention, I just might get a 3 figure>>

Only if it learned to feel pity for someone like you.

IQ tests are overrated. Any smart person knows that they have flaws just like any other test.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

KamikazeJohnson
06/02/02 01:13 PM

I totally agree with you. IQ tests are generally a means of measuring your ability to analyze data. They more or less succeed at that, but there are still flaws. For example, I took a test (online) a few years ago, and one question was "which number is least like the others", with four choices. Believe it or not, there were at least 4 different ways to draw a similarity between three of the choices...each labelling a different one as "od man out". In other words, depending how you looked at it, all four answers could be correct, but of course, only one was "correct".

In other cases, questions are somewhat ambiguous, making more than one choice plausible.

Even so, as Spartan pointed out...IQ tests measure only a pecific type of intelligence, namely math/logic. Tested that way, I have at least 30 IQ points on my sister, but there are many many things she can do that I can't. Unfortunately, her form of genius is impossible to quantify.
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
06/02/02 05:45 PM

Ack. I did the e-mode one at 7:21 am the mornning before an exam on a day that I *HAVE NOT HAD COFFEE* and got this:

--Your IQ score is 120

This number is the result of a formula based on how many questions you answered correctly on Emode's Ultimate IQ test.

The even better news is that at Emode, we've taken your IQ test one step further. During the test, you answered four different types of questions — mathematical, visual-spatial, linguistic and logical. We were able to analyze how you did on each set of those questions, which allows us to shed light on the way your brain uniquely functions.

At the same time, we compared your answers with others who have taken the test, and according to the sorts of questions you got correct, we can tell your Intellectual Type is a Precision Processor.

The first thing we can tell you about that is you've got a very experiential way of learning and a strong mathematical mind. But that's just scratching the surface. --

I couldn't do the other test because you need a credit card to get your results.

How *WRONG* is that? Ask Scott-he's seen me at tournaments. I use a calculator to work out my target numbers for BattleTech because I get confused! With numbers below 12! And I'm supposed to be a maths whiz? Bah! I managed a staggering 13% overall for Physics at University last year and only just barely scraped through maths!

That, by the way, is the lowst I've ever scored on an IQ test, and I think that at 7:30 am and without coffee it's about the best that could be expected. I have taken other, longer, and harder tests at sane times and with caffeine in my system and scored between 145 and 168. Thing is, I read and think quickly. Since time is a deciding factor for most tests, I get a huge boost when the numbers are crunched. The second test took me a little over 4 minutes to do. I am not what you would consider 'a Genius'. I learn very, very quickly but I am only good in two areas- Biology and BattleTech. And the second's debateable. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a friend who is what I would consider a genius. He got an OP of 1 (ie, is in the top 2% of all Australian students) and has a GPA of 6.9 (down under, the best you can get is 7). He took some IQ tests as a joke and scored 208 and above. Freaky. And I know for a fact that he really is that smart...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
06/03/02 10:31 AM

I completed a few public service exams as well as military entry exams. These have alot of questions similar to iq tests but have more variety and do cover areas where the iq tests do not (such as mechanical representation questions which I find as strange to not be included in iq tests). Couple this with an unreasonable time limit (I never completed the tests in the alloted time though).

Greyslayer
Greyslayer
06/03/02 02:36 PM

Simply because they target people with full colour spretrum recognition. Just because a person may not see in colour does not make them any less likely to be a genius than the person next to them.

On www.highiqsociecty.org alot of their exams involve complex spatial contructs that differ in colour. Now consider that roughly 20% of ther 35 questions are these types of questions and you can see the problem that will happen in this situation. I do know that people can define colour by their different shades but what if they used 3-d shading on the objects to make it harder on even those non-optically challenged? I had enough problems with my work computer displaying only 16 colours!

Still the test certainly pushed me and certainly is a difficult one to complete. I managed to get 138 at 4am on my first night of a week of nightshifts *yawn*. And to counter Nightward ... I never take caffiene to 'wake up' .... I only have caffiene in the odd chocolate bar I might have.

Now if only they had a 'common sence test' we would see how all those supposed genius-types would rate eh?

Greyslayer ... stupid until you put a test in front of him.
KamikazeJohnson
06/03/02 03:02 PM

>>Now if only they had a 'common sence test' we would see how all those supposed genius-types would rate eh? <<

Try www.thespark.com 's "Un-telligence" test. I scored 157 on their IQ test, but only 45% Un-telligent
--Thomas Jefferson
Greyslayer
06/03/02 03:05 PM

It will have to wait ... work has that link firewalled out. Hmmmm 1 hour left of nightshift before I can head home and get some sleep .

Greyslayer
Nightward
06/03/02 05:12 PM

"And to counter Nightward ... I never take caffiene to 'wake up' .... I only have caffiene in the odd chocolate bar I might have."

Ja? You ever tried to do an IQ test on a *MONDAY* morning at 7:30 without caffiene? I know caffiene is mostly a placebo, but it does help m sort of wake up. Though, the 3 teaspoons of sugar I put in it may have the same effect

The people here at Griffith are excessively cruel. They are scheduling quizzes on Origin Wednesday! Do they *WANT* every male science student to fail?!
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Swedberg
04/21/20 03:39 AM

Are IQ tests biased or meaningless? – David Didau
The IQ test has a dark history - The Week

A comprehensive IQ test usually takes about an hour. Rex Jung from the University of New Mexico calls an IQ test "one of the most reliable and solid behavioural tests."

Edited by Swedberg (04/21/20 03:40 AM)
Swedberg
04/29/20 09:10 AM

Quote:
Are IQ tests biased or meaningless? – David Didau
The IQ test has a dark history - The Week

A comprehensive IQ test usually takes about an hour. Rex Jung from the University of New Mexico calls an IQ test "one of the most reliable and solid behavioural tests."

W. Joel Schneider from Illinois State University writes about various methods to assess the academic and cognitive performance on Assessing Psyche, his personal blog.
GalebG4
08/31/20 04:49 PM

I don't know, I've done hour long tests with professional psychologists at different ages and always got something around the 145 mark, although I've never been oriented towards math, physics and science in general; quite the contrary, I've studied and started a career in foreign languages.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12628

Contact Admins Sarna.net