Boarding a Jumpship a How To?

Pages: 1
TRYCORP
07/02/02 04:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok, thanks for answering all my questions thus far. Now lets see how you do with this one. I want unit A to take jumpship from unit B in orbit, I have single dropship and infantry, how do I take it? If I don't have what is required please tell me what is.
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
Acolyte
07/02/02 06:18 PM

If the JumpShip has been charged, then only subterfuge or extreme surprize will keep that ship from jumping.

If the ship is not charged, the it's a matter of docking with a hostile ship and overpowering the crew and defences. Keep in mind that the advantage is with the crew. One mean tactic is to suck all the air out of most of the ship (preventing explosive decompression) and floating some frag grenades rigged with motion detectors down the hall. The boarding party has to enter in vac-suits, and the schrapnel makes mincemeat of them.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
CrayModerator
07/02/02 06:19 PM

1) It's extremely abnormal for a jumpship (not counting warships) to be in "orbit". They are at the zenith/nadir jump points, which are stationary (non-orbital) positions over the north and south poles of the local star.

2) If it's a normal jumpship (except an Invader), you probably just pull up alongside it, send the infantry across in space suits with magnetic grapples to avoid falling off [1], and cut your way in. Then some screaming and bleeding follows, then you control the jumpship. Clan jumpships may have battle armor on board and can probably shrug off infantry.

[1] Except for Scouts, jumpships can accelerate at .1G. This is non-trivial to infantry with nothing more than zero-G maneuvering packs, but easy for a dropship to pace. However, the jinking and twisting a jumpship can pull will be annoying, too. It won't bob and weeve like a fighter, but it can tumble, and that sucks for boarding infantry.

And, of course, the jumpship could jump if it's at a jump point. Then you might get turned inside out if you're too close.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
TRYCORP
07/04/02 04:36 PM

So should I just have a Mechwarrior 2 or 3 out of mech mission with infantry boarding the ship and killing the defenders?
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
CrayModerator
07/08/02 04:04 PM

Something like that would work. AT2 does have boarding rules.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Bob_Richter
07/09/02 09:24 PM

This is news to me. Maybe I just missed them.

BSpace has boarding rules, but I've never seen them in AT2.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
CrayModerator
07/10/02 02:45 AM

BS, AT2, same difference. One of those rulesy aerotechish books.

Acolyte
07/12/02 03:45 AM

Heh. And I'm usually the GM. My players thought that taking a JumpShip would be easy. heh

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3120

Contact Admins Sarna.net