Thinking of building a custom PC

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Greyslayer
07/31/02 09:57 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I know the opteron is coming ... I've known for awhile and I believe I've heard that it is still a fair while off market production (ie still 'demostrating' just like demonstrating games at E3 it doesn't even mean that would be released for several months).

I'm dealing with current chips and their potentials, like others have pointed out a p4 1.6 can be pumped up to 2.5 without serious issues (though I doubt Soy would need to thus making it a supurfluous ability). The AMD chips are cheaper but they require added heat sinks to cope over the P4s.

My main experience is reading the odd article I see posted on a lan forum, talking to those who know what they are talking about and my personal experience with my rock solid p4. 16 months ago I would've brought a AMD, struth I almost brought a K2-300 like my younger brother's pc was at that time I brought the celeron 400 (which WAS pretty ordinary in performance), but things change and AMD didn't leading up to the time I purchased my p4.

You quoted ancient material to back your initial arguments, try to take at least that under the hat.

Greyslayer
Greyslayer
07/31/02 10:24 PM

'My step-bro still has his AMD Duron ar 200mgz and it
has NEVER failed.'

It helps if he would actually switch it ON!!

Isn't that chip using totally different architexture than the chips we are talking about. Thats a K2 era chip around at the time of the release of the P3.

'But from what my step-bro say, the government is changing over
more and more to ....you guessed it, AMD. WHY??? They are cheaper and more powerful for the
money AND they last longer'

And being from the military you would know the Government ALWAYS buys the best equipment for their people right (sarcasm for those not knowing it ... murphy's law of combat). Then again maybe a top official played alot of games 18 months ago or uses old reading material (like you did) to base their decision on (rather than current market knowledge like sites such at Tom's Hardware) ....are they going to purchase this mythical Hammer chips or the Palamino or some other silly horse name (and today being the horse's birthday and all ) set currently being produced?

I'm not the only one with an opinion here ... lad.

Greyslayer
ErichRaulfestone
08/01/02 10:04 AM

"It helps if he would actually switch it ON!!"

He's had it on 24/7 since he bought it, any other bright quips child???

Then again maybe a top official played alot of games 18 months ago or uses old reading material (like you did) to base their decision on
(rather than current market knowledge like sites such at Tom's Hardware) .

Insinuations will get you no where. Grow up. Sooo....just keep to the subject matter that this thread was started for and keep it there, thnx
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
Greyslayer
08/01/02 04:41 PM

Exqueeze me? Grow up? A couple of light quips within a few statements (which you failed to address which does show a servere lack of maturity anyway) would give you the right to say that?

Now if you had actually given a well-thought out answer to the other areas I addressed with this at the end you might actually get some respect ....boy

Greyslayer
Nightward
08/02/02 01:35 AM

Wow, Scott. Were you born this antagonistic, or do you just practice every day?

It's a *FRICKIN'* computer. Who cares? Present what facts and opinions you have and stop attacking each other. Im sure SoyBigHead is bright enough to make his own decision on what gear to buy...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 14735

Contact Admins Sarna.net