Player Types, what are you?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MadWolf
11/30/02 06:30 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I figured that there hasn't been a hard strikeing question in a long time, so I am asking one.

What type of Player are you? and What type of player do you hate? (make note that MUNCHKINS are not a valid player type)

Examples : Power Players = PPC's and heat problems
Fast and Light = You pray to the dasher god!
Long Range = AC\2's and gauss are your best friend.
Close and personal = No matter how slow the mech its got to be within 3 spaces of your opponet.
Ammo junkie = If is enegry leave it at the door.
Light show = HAnd me those Mlasers
Cant stand the heat = will sacrifice firepower to keep kool.
ETC...............
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Xar
11/30/02 06:37 PM

Mix between Long Range and Heatsink Junkie. I like my mechs to be able to run/jump and fire everything and gain very little if any heat :P Of course, that running/jumping is moving towards the farthest distance I can be and still hit the other guy :P
Karagin
11/30/02 06:56 PM

I tend to fall in to all of the catogeries you listed. I try to play as the mech should be played. Just because the mech's weapons are in range doesn't mean I have to fire all of them.

Playing tactically is the key and if you are out just to win then I think you are playing the wrong game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NathanKell
11/30/02 07:53 PM

"CAS exists for a reason."
Failing that, Light Show.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
11/30/02 09:21 PM

While I'm willing and capable when it comes a 'Mech's (or lance's, or company's) preferred combat style, I generally prefer to engage in flat out, brute force slugfests. Such fights are a delight at any range (although I usually shy away from physical combat), especially when participants start riding the red line on the heat scale in order to squeeze out just a bit more firepower.

While I respect the "fluff" reasons for speed demons, I object to their large-scale use (and duels) for a couple reasons: first, the initiative rules make fast 'Mechs much more dangerous than they should be, especially in duels, and second, I get annoyed when round after round goes by with no one able to hit anything (10+ to-hit at short range? no thank you )

To sum up...give me my trusty TDR-5S Thunderbolt, and I'm happy
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
BroCaptMaximus
11/30/02 11:58 PM

I prefer mechs that have a powerful primary armament. Especially dual PPC's or Gauss Rifles; and a triple is even better (Thunderhawk). But I want them to build up very little heat when they use them so I really like Gauss weapons. I'm also really fond of missile boats especially the Viking and Archer. The thought of the enemy charging through that hail of destruction just makes my day. I have a penchant for creating custom Mechs with jump jets, good speed and close combat/short range weaponry. (Maces/Hatchets and medium lasers)

Really and truly I enjoy all the forms of Mech v Mech combat equally at different times. What I want to use depends on the tactical situation and my current mood. So I can't really say that I'm a particular type of player, I am in essence a conglomerate of all the various types.
Zwischy
12/01/02 02:05 AM

I definitely like mobile tactics - striker capability, if you will. I'll take lesser armor for extra speed and firepower almost every time. I'll admit, however, that my tactical ability doesn't always support my style of play - I think sometimes I just get too emotional (hotheaded or lazy or despondent) and overestimate my chances.
Vapor
12/01/02 02:38 AM

My choice of 'mech and loadout depends primarily on the terrain I expect to find myself in, and the goal I hope to accomplish.

In heavily forested areas, I'll go with jump jets, and mostly ballistic weapons. Probably take a flamer along to start controlled fires.

Mountainous areas call for jump jets and mostly long-range weapons, with a good medium-range weapon to use at closer quarters. LRM's are always good.

Gentle hills or plains call for a little more speed and long range weapons, especially direct-fire weapons.

City fighting means jump jets, close range weapons, and physical brawls.

I can fight equally well in all terrains, but it is the terrain that will influence my 'mech choice, if I am given one.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
MadWolf
12/01/02 04:11 AM

Ok, You all have said what you are, but the question remains, what type of player you hate,

Im the type of player that likes rideing the red line on mech and pushing the envalope, This kills alot of pilots but i uaually win the battles with that.

I hate the guys who put one mech out for slaughter and have the rest in a clump somewhere thats out of the way, too much time is spent breaking them up and with the unbalance they throw themselves into, they usually make a slow painful death forthemselves...
Vapor
12/01/02 04:36 AM

There aren't many player-types that I hate. There are a number that I dislike, but few that I hate. The one I hate the most, however, is the player who complains about everything. If he misses a shot, he wants a new set of dice. If you get a good hit on him, he wants you to reroll with a new set of dice. If he tries a DFA, misses, fails the piloting roll and falls, he wants to try it again. That kind of player drives me nuts, and thank god I've only played a couple people like that, and never more than once.

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Karagin
12/01/02 05:46 AM

The players I dislike are those who use one of the following:

Alpha Strikers...you know these folks they LOVE the computer games because they can do this all day long. And they wonder why folks get so tried of playing against them...and they act as if they aren't doing anything wrong...

Targ/Pulse Alpha Strikers...the worse of the Alpha Strikers...what's the point of playing if you can pick a location, fire and not have to worry about heat and can do this every bloody turn...I refuse to play in any game where this happens and I have dropped out at least three convention run games because of it. It is no fun when a 1/3 to 2/3rds of the other side is made of these mechs. Loophole abuses like this should be rules out by the GMs prior to running the game.

The Solaris Areana Style Combat is the only way to play, this is the player who seem to think that terrain is not needed and does his best to run out into the middle of the board and then spends most of the game either trying to hug your mech or running around in circles trying to get a back shot....this type normally has the Targ/Pulse no need to worry about heat Alpha Strike type mech as well.

These are the kinds of players that I won't game with since they also tend to be the Power Gamers who's only aim is to win and if that means ruining the game for everyone else then to them that is fine, as long as they win and no else does.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
SSFSX17
12/02/02 12:54 AM

For LVL 1 and 2 Inner Sphere, I use all speedies with all kinds of neat electronics and special ammo so that I can lay nasty traps and other things. The heaviest mech that I might use is 55 tons, and that mech would be the one with C3 Master or a single Arrow IV.

For Clan, I just load up a TC, two PPCs or GRs, and a bunch of MPLs. I know this is absolutely munchkinous, but I am the kind of guy that plays to win rather than to have fun. If I'm forced to actually use my imagination, and I can't use IS technology, then I generally use light or medium sniper-types or try to experiment with hunter-killers.

The type of player that I hate the most is the kind that just loads up a 100-tonner with a bunch of heavy stuff without any thought or consideration as to what that heavy stuff actually does.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
ChalengerII
12/02/02 05:38 PM

I hear you on that point Vapor
as to my player type it doesn't realy fit into those slots.
I suppose cautious heat sink maniac with a dash of cav commander thrown in for good messure. or thats how I plan to play if I'm not having a good day I have been know to go "ahh sod it charge the buggers".
Challenger
Zwischy
12/03/02 12:12 AM

I hate the type of plodding, win-at-all costs player who just picks a good piece of terrain with an assault Mech and just sits there firing away while you have a hard time hitting back because of partial cover and trees. Nothing wrong with playing defensively, especially in scenarios, but when it's all you do (and I game with several players who will do this if they aren't forced to attack), it gets tedious for those who try different tactics and just play to have fun.

Perhaps this stems from one too many failed attacks on an entrenched enemy position, but I'm always trying new things to see if they work. Which most of the time, they don't.
Bloodrider
12/04/02 05:57 PM

Whatever it takes to get the job done, depending on what my ride happens to be...
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room..." -from Dr. Strangelove
spork
12/19/02 10:47 AM

for single mech, or lance combat, I like fast-jump capable machines, loaded with energy weapons (I hate running out of ammo). It is always fun to use small fast mechs against a player using nothing but heavies and assualts that can't jump. It is only a matter of time before I can split their forces up, and then use my small guys to concentrate on 1 target at a time. By the time they realize what is happening, it is too late to bring theri other mechs up for support, and that usually just spreads them out more.

For larger campaings, I actually set up my lances in a straight forward military fasion. I will send in spotters for my hidden artillery, or LRM mechs. After the enemy is softened up a bit, I send in my Heavies. The enemy will usually engage the heavies, and then my Light fast forces will move around and flank the sides and rear of the enemy. After that, it is just a matter of time.

As far as styles I hate... can't think of any. There are mech styles I hate, but playing styles are playing styles.
Cheapbuzz
12/23/02 06:52 PM

How about none of the above. Since every mech requires a different strategy to be usefull.
Vapor
12/26/02 03:23 AM

I'm sure that MadWolf will agree with you on that point. However, I believe his question was a little more general than that. For example, assuming a level playing field, everything else being equal, and you were able to choose any 'Mech you wanted. What category would your choice of 'Mech put you in?

Cheapbuzz
12/26/02 04:57 AM

As long as I have a gauss rifle and a buttload of meduim lasers I'm pretty much happy.
Alex_Kerensky
12/26/02 11:03 PM

Well, I think I am one of those Heat freaks. Whenever I mod an Omni or pick a variant, I go with the one that is the most heat effecient. I do not know why, but I have always felt that a 'Mech which cannot fire all its weapons without overheating is pretty ineffective. My view is probably, no it IS, flawed, but oh well.

That is the only hard-fast characteristic that describes me. If the other 'Mech is packing short-range weapons, I stay at long range. If he is packing LRMs up the butt, then I go to SR.

However, I do have a preference for faster 'Mechs. Generally, I prefer 5/8 and 6/9, but I will go with 4/6 assault machines. I have been and seen too many battles that ended badly because a 'Mech was too slow.

I do hate players who just slap on as many PPCs or AC/20s or what-not onto a Dire Wolf. It is really boring and turns the game into a simple slug-fest. You know how it is: I move some hexes, you move some hexes. You fire, I fire. Great fun. I prefer the games like: I jump over the cliff, you cannot target me. That sort of thing.

Ah! MadWolf, you are from Ohio? What part, if I may ask? I am from a bit north of Cincinnait.
"The fool gives full vent to his anger, but the wise man keeps himself under control."
--Proverbs 29:11 NIV
spork
12/27/02 12:16 PM

I am in Columbus, OH
MadWolf
12/27/02 05:27 PM

I am in Hamilton If you know where that is...
MadWolf
12/27/02 05:30 PM

Yep, id hate to see someone try and play a RD-1 Roadrunner like it was an Awesome.... that pilot would really have to have a want to prove somthing...
Zwischy
12/27/02 06:23 PM

Sure, a GR and some lasers with the mobility of a medium? I'll take that anyday. Though, of course, an ER PPC would give you unlimited ammo. :P
Alex_Kerensky
12/30/02 10:25 PM

MadWolf, you are in Hamilton, quiaff? I live like 5 mins away from Hamilton, now that Rt. 129 has been built...
"The fool gives full vent to his anger, but the wise man keeps himself under control."
--Proverbs 29:11 NIV
MadWolf
12/31/02 03:48 PM

You ever hang out at cincinnati Sci-fi?????
Cadet
01/08/03 12:24 AM

I can play with whatever strengths a 'Mech has, but given a preference, I want long range. The PPC and Heat Problems would be closest to me. It helps that I'm not scared of building up heat or "Riding the Red."

I think it is very telling that I can blow roll after roll for to-hit, but never blow it for heat stuff. I can't tell you the number of times I've been at 27+heat and still haven't blown an ammo roll or shutdown.
Does not play well with others.
Vapor
01/09/03 03:06 AM

There's always a first time for everything, and when it comes, it'll prolly be a doozy.

Cadet
01/09/03 03:14 AM

I'm sure. And given how I disable auto eject...well, I'm glad that mechwarrior is just a piece of paper ;-)
Does not play well with others.
Vapor
01/09/03 03:36 AM

lol True, true. Though I must say there is some satisfaction in seeing the enemy pilot sprayed all over the countryside.

MadWolf
01/09/03 01:46 PM

I have the weirdest luck, all my pilots die but the mechs are usualy in decient shape when that happens, and i cant kill a pilot of my opponets to save my life, but there mech is usually not even worth a salvge crews time after i get done with it.
SinOriginal
01/19/03 07:21 PM

A thirty-five ton mech with masc and a super charger, no arms, and xxl engine and xl gyro for 10 walking mp, max armor and 2 large lasers with TC with little to no heat problems and you have a Demon Catcher, +6 avg to hit per turn running. I like it because its able to close range quickly and can cause some serious hurt with a ramming attack.

So I used to be into clan speed and lasers and no heat problems. I'm working on balancing my tactics to favor heavier mechs with mixed weaponry and IS omnimechs.
Vicen_Korel
10/13/03 12:08 AM

hmm...I like a mech that can deal as much damage as it has tonnage with out overheating. I also like for it to be able to take a hit in return. This could be why i am a clanner...
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
widowmaker
10/14/03 05:52 AM

Good grief, where'd you find this one? The last post on this thread was 9 months ago!

That said, I'm a low techie... give me the purity of Level 1 play any time, any place. When I must play Level 2, well, my name should tell you everything you need to know.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
10/14/03 01:27 PM

Heh if we are dragging up the past we might as well all contribute right...
Personally I am low tech lover with a particular love of energy weapons. In later tech I like the assault mechs that wade into battle to use big short range hitting power, especially *drool* the Beserker, the Kodiak, and the King Crab.
In low tech I primarily look for decent armor and energy weapons. Favorites include the Thug (the downgraded one), FLashman (again downgraded), Warhammer, and the Catapult K2.
Personally I love all type of players (except uber munchkinny, always clan cheese balls), but in battle I tend to get most annoyed by large sized fast little units (horde of wasps), and the super long range units (lrms, gauss rifles, and ac 5).
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Diablo
10/20/03 07:27 AM

i'm hi-tech. Hardened armour *drool*.... max out a 100 ton clan mech with hardend armour and add some gaussrifles, ER large pulse lasers, ERPPC's, and of course Angel ECM with at least 2 AMS systems, plus the occasional CASE II system and I've taken down a company of mechs! hehehe.... unless this is considered munching.... in that case.... GAUSS RIFLES! and PPC's where space allows....
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
tgsofgc
10/20/03 12:11 PM

Yup I am pretty sure that would qualify as munchkinism.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
10/21/03 02:43 AM

Can it truly be munchkinism without a targeting computer?
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
10/21/03 02:49 AM

Lol he probally uses the level three is targetting comps too, no offense...
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Firekid
11/11/03 04:05 PM

I am a number man I'll go for less firepower but more mechs. I don't like Bombarders, all they do is stay FAR away and fire missle salvo after missle salvo
wartang
11/18/03 07:48 AM

i like all ranges, missile boats, snipers, very few brawlers but then agian I use a lot of vehicals
i love this game
tgsofgc
11/18/03 12:53 PM

So what are your favorite mechs? (comon just give a us a couple at least)
Avanti's Angels, 3058
wartang
11/20/03 02:24 PM

a lot of home brewd stuff
saam
lineman

veeks
hellfires
hellstroms
hellmakers
tincans
sheildbearers
i love this game
MadMage
11/23/03 10:57 AM

I like to be a support kinda player.....Usually go with 70 tonners and long range balistic (mostly AC/10) and LRM 20 and sometimes a MASC or Supercharger when I need to get into the battle fast.
Ignorant_Savage
11/23/03 11:23 AM

i like to use 'mechs with a good balance of speed and firepower. i tend to let things like heat managenent and ammo sort themselves out in battle.

some of my favorites:

warhammer whm-7m
caesar ces-3r
dragon fire dgr-3f
marauder mad-5s
berserker brz-a3
barghest bgs-2t
"Those who trade away essential freedoms for a little saftey deserve neither freedom or saftey."
- Benjamin Franklin
John
11/25/03 04:12 PM

I'm right there with you brother ... just add 1 thing ... I don't like to die when my torso is shot off, so I like standard engines also.

Fire everything and weather his incomming fire.

Gowron
Sarge
12/17/03 02:07 AM

I am a flanker and a reservist: I love to turn flanks and hold back a fast reserve to shoot gaps.

I am wearied by UberPowerGamers that create battle tech battalions that are so saturated by Clan Tech and level 3 devices from Max Tech that they can can wipe out Wolf's Dragoons with little trouble.
-Sarge
JStallion
02/04/04 09:46 PM

definently a light show. saggittaire is fav assault, wolfhound for light, then theres just numerous medium and heavy i can enjoy. NO ammo needed!! who doesnt love that?!?!
neven
02/09/04 01:30 AM

Me, i like templars, hellfires, blood kites, daishis, and of course my fav. the hellion.
i mostly like fast and lite, and heavy and loaded with weapons.
then there are diferent designs, i do like wolfhounds, atlas, i usually like fast + lite, and heavy-assault. my favourite medium mech is da crab, its made for underwater, and is packed with lasers!
-***"ADAPT TO SURVIVE"***-
Silenced_Sonix
02/13/04 01:01 PM

Pulse lasers, LRM's and the odd autocannon. Also lots of ECM suites (anti-C3, etc.), and a preference for medium to heavy 'Mechs that can move when needed to.
Evolve or Die
HardKorHippy
03/02/04 09:14 PM

I'm a very unorthodox player. Some of my favorite weapons are Infernos, Flamers when using my home rules (2 Damage & 3 Heat to target), Melee weapons, MRMs, etc. I'm also a big fan of Ultra AC/20s. You could use an LB-X, but why? It's not worth giving up the double rate of fire for those crappy Cluster munitions.
Death_Fire
04/23/04 12:02 PM

Yo! I'm a Power Freak all the way! I can't tell you how mutch I enjoy using a large Mech (Thor [see What's your favorite mech]) to run up to you, and blow out your center torso in 1.62 seconds!
(crappy salvage though)
The winning team is the first team that wins!
-Hitchikers Guide To The Galixies
Death_Fire
04/26/04 12:30 PM

True, but teh worst types are the ones who use the fastest waek mechs and just run around in circles never geting anything done.
Nevik
04/27/04 09:19 AM

Gauss, gauss, baby! I have a prefrence for heavly armored medium mechs and total heat efficiency. pure Innersphere all the way (Lousy Clan Tech! Stupidsuperioreverythingsomunchymumblemumble...), and I'm very paranoid about rear armor, very parionid. as a rule, I usuly have (front armor / 2) + 1 armor points on the rear torsos of all my mechs. My armorment focuses around Gauss, Large lasers, and Arrow IV. oh, I'm also a firm beliver in Long tom artillery (homegrown stuff, not in the 3025 tro). All my mechs only have average mobility, but they are usually connected to a c3 network, allowing me to put the hurt on any dumb enough to close with my forces.

Personaly, though I don't hate, I really dislike all clantech (not the players, just the equiptment), and shun all clan omnis and targeting comps from my forces.
-Nuke the Whales

-Revenge of the drunken pandas
Death_Fire
04/27/04 12:15 PM

WHAT!?!?!?!? Hate Clan tech!?!? It's the only thing thet brought the I.S. out of the stupid secession wars!
Greyslayer
04/28/04 12:20 PM

I don't really see this as a 'type' of player but rather the preferred methodology of the player.

Munchkin, Ruleslawyer, Powergamer(should read Munchkin but doesn't know it) and so on are player types. It doesn't mean that just because you are a munch that you would play a power game.

Personally my methodology changes often. Some tourneys I have gone in with a mostly ppc army and whooped some butt. The next year players expecting much the same came accross a LRM/medium laser army that again caught them out in the open. I've used fast and slow 'mass mugging' armies of Protomechs or elementals (or both) as well as vast numbers of cheap (in battle value) vehicles such as the AC2 variant of the Partisan.

It is really a matter of situation.
Nightward
04/28/04 08:44 PM

Ahh, yes. The infamous "Wickings Solution", consisting of Achileus Armour backed up by a ridiculous number of long-range Tanks, eh?

I too pick by the situation, though I'm more biased to designs I like (often with no logical supporting reason). If it weighs 55 tons and I'm using it, it's a Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, or Wraith. If it weighs 75 tons and I'm using it, it's a Timber Wolf.

For friendly games, I pick whatever I think will do well and run with that. Ned (who runs many of the games and tournaments Scott and I play) favours having piloting and gunnery scores determined by a sliding scale involving technology base and tonnage. So you tend to see lots of one kind of 'Mech; Clan games tend to be dominated by Night Gyrs, whilst IS games don't usually have that much in common between the 'Mechs. Generally, though, you see two kinds of 'Mech types chosen; Speed Demons and Chunks. The Spped Demons run screaming around the battlefield, shoot something, run away, and then repeat. The Chunks just sort of stand around and blow [censored] up. These days, though, RAC+TC seems to be the way to go.

I've run the gamut of player types. I used to be a Munchkin, but then I defected to the Inner Sphere. Now I try to use 'Mechs the way they should be used, instead of just running headlong into the enemy's midst. That really used to get in trouble at tournaments, because I insisted on using Clan HEavies, and then wound up being outgunned, outrun, ounumbered, and generally totally PWNZ0RED at the hands of my opponents.

The type of player that used to annoy me the most is the one that carefully deliberates before doing anything...then chooses the most obvious solution any way. That really used to grate on me, until I realised it was a subtle psychological tool and was the reason Mal kept hammering me. Now I hate people who think Dire Wolves are the only kind of 'Mech worth using, simply because it's the heaviest Clan 'Mech EVAR!!!oneone.

I think I set out to make some sort of point at the start of the post, but I've now forgotten it completely. Meh.

So. How goes the Cube Campaign, Scott? Any word on the next game meet?
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
04/29/04 10:02 AM

1 long-ranged tank. It just happened to be a Partisan LRM variant with 1 gunnery

The three supporting J Edgars with Mgs and 4 squads of Achilleus generally took apart anything that tried to get close enough to the long-ranged unit before it became an issue. Of course the problem begins when in one game you are not allowed the use of the 1300-point unit in the Partisan since you are forced to start on a swamp map (it was a 2500-point tourney), I won it but the opposing rifleman was glowing bright red from 4 squads of flamer Achilleus going heat on his butt

Ah now he talks about the 'good ole days' where Nightward would try his latest Timber Wolf modification only to get totalled by someone touting a standard Ryoken or Nova. You should've seen him squirm . Pity being a grand melee I didn't usually get the kill

In this we are brought to whether you have played a person who either played the particular persona well or ultra-poorly? In other words did people think that said person was good at playing the power-gamer or they truly utilised their lasers they love so much? Do you think the person who played the laser game so well would do okay with a missile boat and so on.

Like in most things for the above questions I tend to lean towards Jack-of-all-trades, so while being adequate in the PPCs powergaming I am also adequate in using LRMs boats, nothing fearsome in that though it is handy if using a non-all-the-same force.

As for the cube campaign you should talk to the organiser on the latest gossip. My unit still hasn't seen heavy action and since the last 24 hours in game time has seen nothing but heavy rain you could say not much heavy action taking place anywhere else as well.
Nightward
04/30/04 05:18 AM

Actually, scratch that. New Player Type:

The Chaos Factor

The Chaos Factor can't be predicted, largely because they have no idea what they themselves are going to do next. Their Unit appears to be an ill-chosen hodge-podge, and...my God. Did you see that? His Phoenix Hawk is providing fire support whilst his Archer and Marauder move in for close combat!

ARG! MY BRAIN!

What is this guy on? And why is working?

That's me. Entropy-Based Warfare be damned. Break your opponent's brain at first opportunity, and watch the fun...

And Scott, at least my Munchkinism was telling me the Timber Wolf was the best 'Mech to stuff around with Timber Wolves are still my first choice these days, too.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Vicen_Korel
04/30/04 10:24 AM

Alright, give me a targetting computer, speed/jump jets, and some pulse lasers. -3 to hit normally and called shots at just +1. I'll normally put this on a light or low weight medium, with one large pulse and a medium, or 4 mediums. I like speed over armor, acuracy over fire power. I'll usually mix two of these mechs, with a slower, mech with LRMs and PPC and C3 them all together.
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
tgsofgc
05/02/04 02:01 AM

lest ye never forget helm...
Avanti's Angels, 3058
UncaRat
05/04/04 08:44 AM

I started playing when the game was fairly young. I mostly played with rules lawyers and rerollers. They came to LOATH me, I began a long run of headshots,.;-) my techs must have become experts at repairing cockpits! It cured them when I was using their dice and every time they demanded a reroll it would get worse.

My favorite mech, no I don't have one really but I do Have a favorite demi company. a Spider, a phoneix Hawk, a Shadowhawk, a Marauder (or warhammer) to protect the core of the Support demi company two modified atlas chassis- 2 X LRM20 with two tons of armor each, two large lasers and 21 HS. their mission is to cripple the enemy heavy and assault mechs, and the other four tie up and pulverize the fast movers.

With an ocassional trip to level two I mostly play pre clan level 1.The true test of a game is, 'did you enjoy the game, even if you lost? And was the game fair?' If they were then I salute you.
UncaRat
05/04/04 08:54 AM

Sorry that should be two tons of AMMO for each LRM-20. not two tons of armor. At level two I developed a speed reload system for the LRM's. That drove the Munchers crasy!
Marshall
05/19/04 03:15 PM

To sum up...give me my trusty TDR-5S Thunderbolt, and I'm happy

Solid 'mech, that T-bolt. Built like a Timex watch.

Marshall
Marshall
05/19/04 03:21 PM

Quote:

hmm...I like a mech that can deal as much damage as it has tonnage with out overheating. I also like for it to be able to take a hit in return. This could be why i am a clanner...

Drop me a line, Korel, I'm not that far away.

Marshall
Lone_Wolf_Radick
06/21/04 09:57 PM

I would have to say all of them a little, but mostly Power Player or Light show (as I'm fond of Timberwolves and Novas). Being old school clan teaches honor on the battlefield, and honor can hold out longer when not limited by ammunition concerns... Long live the WOLF!
coldwave
06/22/04 01:57 PM

Hmm, I'm generally a mix between them all, although I suppose that I am predominately long-range and ammo junkie. Give me a good o'l BJ-1 and I'm happy. Pair it with an Enforcer and I'm even happier!

- Tanaka
Sauragnmon
09/09/04 12:37 PM

Jack of All Trades meets Chaos Factor... My mech designs are like swiss army knives, I never design just one mech, I make an entire star out of it. Things like a Tech 3 Artillery star with 4 LT's 4 Arrows and one little scout Mech. If hybrids are allowed, I give that little guy the C3 master and run right out and use him for Tom scouting. I never leave him unarmed though, he's got his own weapons, as well as my recon star following him. Yes my warriors may not like ranged deliverance when it hits the fan, but I'm sure they've all come to respect that Artillery unit's Spotter, especially since he also carries TAG for the Arrows... He's not the biggest gun on the field, but it's not him you should worry about, it's his buddies a couple of maps away... My recon star ranges through many weapons... including an LB20X because some days I just feel like whipping out a big old shotgun and delivering some boomstick justice. Most of my recon unit is omnis so they can switch tasks swiftly when needed. The third star in my little Trinary is a group of mostly assault mechs with jumps, and most of them carry melee weapons. The job of my assault unit is to either draw and return fire from the enemy, thus alleviating problems for my recon and spotter, or simply to deliver damage and close with the enemy to deliver a solid thwacking across the board. Purely put, I like to deliver pain, and lots of it.
TheCrusader
02/08/05 10:17 PM

Missle Boats= Less heat, more damage at range.
tbird89
05/28/05 12:11 AM

huh, well, i'm a special kind of player, i'm a " i'm the com guard, and our INARC's and C3I's kick the shit out of anything you have". but missle boats are fun with that strategy, as long as you have a good spotter ( like an exterminator or tessen)
why? becuase. jesus told me to. and you wanna know something else that jesus told me? he said that everytime it rains, it's becuase god is crying over something u did. because god hates you.
so does superman
Rorahusky
06/22/05 05:13 PM

Can't Stand The Heat here. I like being able to consistantly do whatever I like without incuring heat problems. Every design I make I do so with keeping heat down in mind, and some of the stock designs (coughcoughMasakari Primecoughcough) make me twitch at the sheer amount of heat they produce. Going from 0 heat to Risk Of Going Nuclear is not my cup of tea.
Wraith
06/22/05 05:28 PM

Bah, Masakari Prime is nothing on the Nova Prime!
-Wraith
BigBoss
06/23/05 10:01 PM

Hmm, tough one, but I like Heavy with a mix of short and long range weapons (In my View Medium Range is useless). I also liked to be packed with a hell of a lot of electronics. I don't really care for heat lol.
Bringing Terror to the Comforts of Your Homes

~BB~
Nightward
06/26/05 12:59 AM

Medium range is useless, eh?

Try playing against a good opponent with a Nova or Stormcrow. Should be educational
fenix
08/20/05 10:14 PM

i only have played the old rules... i.e. 'autocannon' means an AC/5 and there wer about a dozen mech listings in the back of the book... but i have played many games using the 3025 tech readout mechs and here are some things i have noticed....
1. machineguns are just plain dumb unless you are expecting to fight infantry. who on earth is gonna use 200 rounds of ammo on a weapon that is barely ever in range and doesnt hit hard anyway... the old mechs: warhammer/Tbolt/Battlemaster/crusader/Phoenixhawk/ they all are well designed except that they all stick the MG ammo in the center torso so it can get shot and explode. i just dont understand... a locust would do far better dumping the little MGs for an extra pair of lasers, and most other mechs could do with more heat sinks instead...
- (i think im gonna stop counting after this cuz i am just rambling anyway) the newtech stuff makes the game a little cheeseball and munchkin... i played against a guy who took a lance of Wraiths and just jumped and jumped and fired off his pulse lasers and never overheated and went 7 hexes jumping ALL THE TIME so it was impossible to hit him with a good volley and the pulse lasers made it so he could hit easier despite jumping all over the place. The game is much more fun when people have to worry about overheating, or play mechs who arent deliberately abusive - some of the downtrodden mechs like the rifleman, banshee, scorp or the blackjack thrown into a battle makes it more fun. i like some of the electronic gizmos like the Raven annd Ostscout have; they add a new tactical approach and dont really unbalance things, but all the XL engine/double heatsink/ ferro armor and so on just seems munchkin to me.
- lots and lots of srm fire can kill anything on those CT/crit rolls that happen 1/36th of the time.
-my favorite OMG moment was taking off the head of a warhammer and destroying the cockpit with a PPC from my piddly little vindicator on the first shot of the game. yeah a lot of tactical planning went into that one...
- favorite 3025 mechs:
Valkyrie, Javelin, Ostsol, Grasshopper, Trebuchet, Whitworth, Clint, Awesome
religon
08/26/05 10:33 AM

I am...
Close and personal...moderately overheating. Love the 3025 Thunderbolts, Grasshoppers, and Cataphracts.

Dislike...
Munchkin custom clan energy players that do everything to maximixe the offensive damage they can generate.
Evasive enemies that keep running from my forces.
Know-it-all's that constantly demostrate knowledge of the various mech designs, but have the strategic skill of Hanse Davion's institutionalized third-cousin Ruprick.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 30249

Contact Admins Sarna.net