SCP2-65N Scorpion II

Pages: 1
Toastrider
12/14/02 01:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Or alternately, 'My Scorpion could beat up your Scorpion!'

This was designed well before Project Phoenix, BTW; I just dug it back up recently.

SCP2-65N Scorpion II
Mass: 50 tons
Tech Level: IS Level 2

Equipment:
Internal Structure: Endo Steel (2.5 t)
Engine: Magna 250 (12.5 t)
Walk MP: 5
Run MP: 8
Jump MP: 5
Heat Sinks: 10 (20)
Gyro: 3 t
Cockpit: 3 t
Armor Factor: 184 (11.5 t)

Loc: IS/OA
Head: 3/9
CT: 16/25
CTR: -/6
L/RT: 12/18
L/RTR: -/6
All Legs: 12/24

Weapons and Equipment:
ER PPC - RT - 3c - 15h - 7t
Streak SRM-6 - LT - 2c - 4h - 4.5t
Streak SRM Ammo (15) - LT - 1c - 0h - 1t
ER Small Laser - H - 1c - 2h - 0.5 t
Anti-Missile System - CT - 1c - 1h - 0.5 t
AMS Ammo (12) - LT - 1c - 0h - 1 t
CASE - LT - 1c - 0h - 0.5t
Jump Jet - LFL - 1c
Jump Jet - RFL - 1c
Jump Jet - LRL - 1c
Jump Jet - RRL - 1c
Jump Jet - CT - 1c
Endo Steel - LFL - 1c
Endo Steel - LRL - 1c
Endo Steel - RFL - 1c
Endo Steel - RRL - 1c
5 Endo Steel - LT - 5c
5 Endo Steel - RT - 5c

Overview:

The continuously disappointing performance of most quads lasted until the advent of superior gyro technology and programming, evidenced by the new Tarantula scout Mech. Emboldened by the success of the Tarantula, Second Chances began work on redeveloping a better, superior Scorpion, much as they did with other mainstays of House forces.

The new Scorpion II relies on the suspension system found on the Tarantula to give it an easier, smoother gait than the original 'box with legs'. As a result, the new SCP2 doesn't resemble its namesake quite as much as other designs do, save in its armaments.

The superior handling systems required a downgrade in speed, but the design allowed for something most Scorpion pilots had never expected: jump jets. Studies of the Tarantula allowed Second Chances to refit the SCP2's structure for powered flight. Much as the Tarantula does, the new Scorpion II appears to 'crawl' across the air.

The primary armament comes from an extended range PPC, giving the SCP2 an amazing long-range bite to match its predecessor. The aging Harpoon-6 SRM pod was upgraded to a Streak-6, which gifts the Scorp with better accuracy for its fifteen volleys. A Diverse Optics 3cm ER laser and an Anti-Missile chaingun round out the Scorpion II's armament. CASE protects the ammunition stores, preventing any detonation from totally wrecking the Mech.

Deployment:
Due to the bad press Scorpions receive, the SCP2 is not particularly common, though many Tarantula pilots have complimented Second Chances for making the best of a bad design. With the advent of Vicore Industries' new Scorpion refit, now the only question is whether the SCP2 will prove its worth or suffer the indignity of being relegated to 'second place'.

Notable Notes:
The placement of the jump jets on the Scorpion II has led to some interesting problems -- for infantry. Common tactics for dealing with Scorpions was to get under it and attach explosives to the thin-skinned underbelly. However, not only is the ventral armor thicker, the jump vents there can pose a real problem for unarmored infantry. More than one Scorpion II pilot has discouraged such attacks by triggering off his ventral thrusters and barbequing unwary groundpounders.

Opinions? Warner, I like your SCP design but I figured I'd toss mine up and see what you thought And yeah, that last bit in the deployment was added by me recently.

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
Zwischy
12/15/02 01:38 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I would probably just go whole hog on the mobility and upgrade to an XL engine. The Scorpion has ever been a mobile sniper bot, so I'd play that to the hilt. With the weight savings you get for the XL (3 tons), you tack on a 6th jump jet, another ton of AMS ammo, and then whatever else you want - maybe an ECM suite?

Perhaps another variant could involve putting anti-infantry weapons on - just increasing the utility of the Mech. One jump jet, a flamer, 2 MGs with .5 ammo total would do it for me. Not that it NEEDS such weapons.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2811

Contact Admins Sarna.net