Rotary Laser

Pages: 1
Toastrider
12/17/02 10:39 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Because everything is better with rotary!

Basically, it's a rotary mount mated to four standard IS medium lasers. Strictly NAIS-prototype stuff, definitely not ready for prime time yet.

Rotary Laser
Mass: 8 tons
Crits: 5
Range: 1-3/4-6/7-9

The Rotary Laser can fire one, two, or four shots, just as rotary autocannons do. When firing in two or four shot mode, apply a +1 gunnery penalty due to the increased energy load interfering with targeting systems.

1 shot generates 3 heat, deals 5 damage
2 shots generate 8 heat, deal 10 damage (2 pulses)
4 shots generate 15 heat, deal 20 damage (4 pulses)

Resolve as per normal RAC rules.

On a roll of 2 (if in 2 shot mode) or a roll of 2-3 (if in 4 shot mode), the capacitors short out and the weapon explodes, dealing 15 damage to the location and destroying the weapon.

Thoughts?

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
LordChaos
12/18/02 02:25 AM

Um... laser's don't have ammo, hense don't have loaders, hense don't have a mechanical limite to their refire rate that could be improved by a multi-barrel design. Hense, there is not only zero need for such a system, but it would actualy be less usefull and more wastefull then a single laser with multiple capaciters.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Toastrider
12/18/02 11:51 AM

What can I say?

I got bored during a slow point at work

It's not like I'm ramming this down anyone's throat, demanding they bow to my mad skilz

Just brainstorming is all

--Toasty
Karagin
12/18/02 12:11 PM

I like it. It has major draw backs and that gives it the feel of being new and all but not an UBER weapon as some are.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NathanKell
12/18/02 12:17 PM

It is, IMO, way overbalanced. Why would anyone use this instead of five medium lasers?
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Toastrider
12/18/02 12:45 PM

Maybe cut the mass/crits from 8tons/5 crits to 5 tons/3 crits?

--Toasty
Karagin
12/18/02 01:28 PM

Actually the 5 lasers would be a better deal since you can move them around and on some mechs the lack of space would prevent the use RL.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NathanKell
12/18/02 08:17 PM

My point exactly, Karagin--it's over balanced.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
NathanKell
12/18/02 08:20 PM

You can go two routes: make it lower mass / higher heat, or higher heat / lower mass {both sets compared to the ML}.
So I'd say either 4t 3c and keep the heat as it is, or perhaps 7t 4c and heat 3 / 5 / 9.
And remove the +1 modifier.
Thomas Jefferson
NathanKell
12/18/02 08:22 PM

Just got another thought.
Totally alternately, what about having all shots hit the same location. Then the increased mass and heat might be acceptable, as you get a headchopper / torso-puncher / limb remover.
Thomas Jefferson
Moraelin
12/28/02 06:04 PM

Lasers do have a cooling problem, though. I'm sure that if you shot four times as much energy through the same medium laser, you'd have a load of redesigning to do to get the heat out, and to make sure the laser itself can deal with that kind of energy. There's a reason why a large laser weighs 5 tons, instead of, say, 2 tons (a medium laser with a bigger capacitor.)

Though unrelated, I do fail to see any good technical reason why would someone want to make it rotate, using extra weight and criticals in the process, instead of just firing 4 ML's at the same time, independently from each other.
---
Moraelin - The proud member of the Idiots' Guild
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5868

Contact Admins Sarna.net