SHD-2D5 Shadow Hawk

Pages: 1
Zwischy
01/18/03 03:53 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The latest update of the Davion version of the Shadow Hawk - the 2D - was recently sighted in the Periphery, apparently on testing grounds duty against the few bandits which still remain on the fringe of Federated Suns space.

Analysis of data from battle footage during a recent pirate raid reveal some of the capabilities of this design.

Sporting the new Rotary AC/2, and a larger LRM rack, this 'Mech has good standoff firepower, excellent for gunning down damaged 'Mechs in pursuit lances, as the raiders learned when fleeing back to their Dropships after the failed raid.

Further analysis would paint this Mech as an excellent heavy scout, with firepower and armor adequate for taking on those Mechs it might meet on reconnaisance duty. However, it is not a Mech for heavy combat; the very light armor still carried by this design forces the pilot to stay mobile or die. Against the vaunted gunnery of the Clans, even this may not be enough for the Shadow Hawk to survive.

Overall, this Mech should continue to see distinguished service, as long as its commanders keep in mind its limits and use the Mech properly.

Shadow Hawk-2D5
Tonnage: 55
Internal Structure: Endo Steel - 2.75 tons
Engine - 275 standard - 15.5 tons
Walk MP: 5
Run MP: 8
Jump MP: 5
Cockpit: 3 tons
Gyro: 3 tons
Total Heat Sinks: 10 (20)
Ferro-Fibrous Armor - 5 tons (89)
H - 9
CT - 14/2
L/RT - 10/2
L/RA - 8
L/RL - 12

Weapons/Ammo
Rotary AC/2 - RT - 8 tons
RAC/2 ammo - RT - 2 tons
LRM 10 - LT - 5 tons
LRM ammo - LT - 1 ton
Medium Laser - LA - 1 ton
Medium Laser - H - 1 ton
Streak SRM 6 - RA - 4.5 tons
Streak ammo - RA - 1 ton

My Take:
This is what I mean when I say I like firepower and mobility over a lot of armor. I will admit this one is somewhat to the extreme, even I'd be leery at that small amount of armor, but this DOES make a nice sniper bot, or a good bully against smaller Mechs. How about hitting a damaged Mech with a full burst from the RAC?...
Apoc
01/18/03 04:27 AM

In my opinion, 5 tons of armor is very light armor even for a support unit of it's tonnage. And does it have CASE? A few lucky shots could turn into a wonderful fireworks display with it's light armor. Maybe drop the Streak-6 to a -4 or regular SRM-6 and add 1.5 more tons of armor. Or change to 2 LRM-5 and add 1 ton. The arms and rear torsos could uses some beefing.
Zwischy
01/18/03 10:15 AM

I forgot about the 2 LRM 5's for one LRM 10 trick. That would free up the tonnage for the CASE, though I'm not sure if I have the criticals for it, then, due to Endo Steel and Ferro armor.

As for the light armor, yes, but that's in keeping with the theme of the SHD-2D...the original Davion version has only 4.5 tons of standard armor, and adds a medium laser and SRM 2. So I actually improved the armor. :P

I wonder, though, how this thing would look with a Light engine...hmm...simple enough upgrade...

Light Engine - 12 tons (freeing up 2.5 tons)
Ferro Fibrous Armor - 8.5 tons (152)
H - 9
CT - 23/10
L/RT - 20/6
L/RA - 12
L/RL - 17

Weapons/Ammo
Rotary AC/2 - RT - 8 tons
RAC/2 ammo - RT - 2 tons
2 LRM 5 - LT - 4 tons
LRM 5 ammo - LT - 1 ton
Streak 6 - LA - 4.5 tons
Streak ammo - LA - 1 ton
Medium Laser - RA - 1 ton
Medium Laser - H - 1 ton
CASE LT, RT
All removable arm actuators must be removed to fit everything in, I think. Wrote this up on paper, instead of a 'Mech designer proggie.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3301

Contact Admins Sarna.net