A question for "Dune" fans...

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
03/01/03 10:50 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
For a while now, I've been meaning to get a copy of "Dune", since I've heard a lot about it for most of my life. But I just finished rereading Frank Herbert's "Destination Void" and I've attempted to read "The Jesus Incident" on two separate occasiojns and "The Dosadi Experiment" once, but couldn't finish those. I was just wondering if Dune is as dry and tough to get through as those, and if so, if it's worth the effort. I'm assuming i't's worth the effort (otherwise it wouldn't be such a classic), but I wanted some specific opinions before I spent some of my hard-earned cash at my local used book store
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
03/02/03 05:03 AM

Dune is dry....(pun is intented)...but it's an excellent novel...worth reading.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
phoenix
03/02/03 01:48 PM

The first novel is just incredible, I've read it many a time and will probably continue to read it again and again. The other novels in the series, however, aren't quite as good in my opinion. They drag a lot more and aren't quite as interesting.
Phoenix
CrayModerator
03/02/03 05:59 PM

The first Dune book or two were okay, but they quickly just got weird after that.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
MadWolf
03/03/03 03:24 PM

Dune is really Deep into alot of things that happen on Arakkis. It's Better to read it through once and get some Idea of whats going on, then Read it again and you Understand it all. Its Tough and dry the first, then the book is really good.
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Grizzly
03/04/03 04:38 PM

As many have already stated, the original Dune book is very good, but takes a few chapters to get rolling. The two immediately following (Children of Dune and Dune Herectic) are ok and they still deal with the original cast of characters. The next couple (God Emperor, Chapterhouse etc) are set in the far future of the Dune universe. They can get a little weird, but I felt that Chapterhouse was at least a good read.
If you want some other good Dune books, get the pre-trilogy by Frank Herbert's son and Kevin Anderson. House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino are all excellent books. They lay the ground work for the original Dune. They read well and I didn't find them boring at all. I also highly recomend the Butlerian Jihad, by the same two authors. It is a prequel of the whole series set during the human revolt against the thinking machines. Two more are in the pipe for the next few years. Try these as well.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
widowmaker
08/17/03 11:35 PM

Dune is an excellent read. For everyone out there who read at least the first three books in the Dune series (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune) before seeing the 1985 movie, a question: did you start screaming in horror at the end of the movie when it started raining? That drove me NUTS! Anyone else?

P.S. Anyone who doesn't understand the ecology of Arrakis won't understand the question, so don't worry about it. Read, and be enlightened.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4297

Contact Admins Sarna.net