NOVEMBER CUSTOM DESIGN CONTEST RULES (at BTU.org)

Pages: 1
Panzerfaust150
11/09/03 01:49 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Rules for Custom Design Contest:

1.Introduction:

Welcome members of BattletechUniverse.org (www.battletechuniverse.org) to the November Custom Design Contest. You’ll find this month’s edition to be a bit different than previous contests, as we’re trying out a concept called “benchmark designs” as a means of seeing how much better you can make your design than what it might be replacing in various armies and militias.

The grading of our panel of judges will be based on six criteria, three
of a objective nature and three of a subjective nature on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 will be the worst grade, and 10 the best. The highest cumulative scores will place 1st, 2nd and 3rd place respectively.

2.Objective of Contest:

The objective of the contest is to design a counter-insurgency mech meant to
handle guerilla and other insurgent threats. The mech should be able to deal with
multiple infantry and armor threats, as well as battle armor. It should also have an
even chance against ‘Mech designs lighter than itself.

As this mech will be marketed all over the Inner Sphere, this should be a mech
in the price range of even the most budget conscious planetary militia. Therefore,
the upper price ceiling of any design must be 13.5 million C-bills. All designs must
be level 2 Inner Sphere tech. No variants for existing omnis.

Other factors for any designer to consider are mobility over armor, and
installation of a Beagle Probe.

As for a subjective nature, we will look at well-written fluff as a plus for
any design. Also, we’re looking for a theme in the design. We are looking for
mechs that had a lot of skullsweat put into them.

3. Scoring Catagories:

While these categories are for the benefit of the judges, we feel that in the
interests of all sides being informed for everyone to know under what criteria are
the designs being scored. After the contest concludes, we will be posting the
judging forms (sans names) so as to show how the various designs were judged.

A. Objective Nature:

1. Compared with the benchmark mechs and the other mechs in
contest, how does the price of the mech compare?

2. Compared with the benchmark mechs, and the other mechs in the
contest, how does well does the weapons package accomplish
it’s mission versus a imaginary target of a vehicle lance (2 Pos
and two Pegasus) and a Company of Motorized SRM infantry in
close terrain?

3. Compared with the benchmark mechs and the other mechs in the contest, rate the mech’s relative mobility? (Mechs slower than the benchmark designs, obviously, won’t do as well here).

B. Subjective Nature:

1. Does the fluff suggest some thought was put into the design and is it
well-written and fit with the overall concept of the design?

2. Does the design from a canon viewpoint, make sense and would it be a mech that would be popular in its assigned role (ie: is this a solid dependable mech, or is this a widow maker?)

3. Does the whole design package fit togther well? Or does it seem to either lack something, or be something where you’re more likely to fight the machine than the enemy?

Other details:

Why Benchmark designs? Simple, in the real world, people who design fighter
planes, tanks, etc, usually start with a “exceed the performance of “X” currently in
the inventory, so I thought, why not here. Let me know how you like this via PM.

All contest submissions must be submitted in a formatted, exported .txt file
format from either HMP or TDB. Submissions not meeting these criteria will not
be accepted. Designs MUST be VALIDATED (if you don’t have either, PM me
entry, and I’ll validate it through HMP for you! I will be very confidential about
it!)

Contest Submissions will be accepted from November 7th, to November 28th at
contests@battletechuniverse.org

-Prizes are as follows:

1st: 500,000 C-Bills + $10 gift certificate to Exodus Road Hobbies.

2nd: 500,000. C-Bills

3rd: 250,000 C-Bills
tgsofgc
11/09/03 02:51 AM

In my mind your contest is asking us to deal with conflicting forces, from a role point of view, in comparision to some benchmark you never tell us. It'd be much easier for all of us whom may be intressted to approach this contest if you gave us specific information on what these benchmark mechs are.
My apparent confusion could easily be settled by knowing these "benchmark" mechs, though currently here is the view I come from in which the qualities listed seem conflicting.
1. Counter Insurgency forces are generally concerned with eliminated guerilla forces that are stealthy scattered and often don't have access to complex weapons, both due to the need for stealth, and due to limited resources. In my mind in the Battletech cannonthis would mean scattered infantry (especially with specialized training) and possibly access to a few (or one) common vehicle with military applications, such as a planetlifter or refit civilian vehicles mounting small (mech scale) weapons such as an SRM-2.
**Hence this to mean seems no way consitent with the need of the mech to be able deal with "multiple infantry and armor threats, as well as battle armor. It should also have an
even chance against ‘Mech designs lighter than itself".
2. As I understand cannon you are describing a hybrid hunter mech. A mix of the roles of an exterminator, urbanmech, and Komodo. Is the role of this mech to hunt down forces to prevent them from disrupting supply lines on planet during assaults, to destroy key targets, or simply defensive securing and maintaining security over key sites.
3. "budget conscious" - In late tech (read as anything post 3058) the role/s as I am lead to believe are filled by two diverging philosophies. Namely cheap small vehicles (especially VTOLS) and highly advanced expensive units. Hence I think any budget conscious planetary militia wishing to fill the role would simply invest in easily bought and maintained vehicles. For illustration the Skulker costs 183,700 while a Wasp WSP-1D costs 1,636,320, though the skulker likely has a better chance of finding an enemy and can engage it at close to the same efficiency.
4. Mobility prefered over Armor, is this really necessary? I mean a scout car moving 3/5 that can remote montier tons of sensors can continually search a greater area than a mech moving 8/12.

So Fixes to the problems:
1. Define the benchmark mechs, preferably multiple benchmark mechs.
2. Develop testing missions that are consistent, and follow the cannon. For instance the Pegasus is not only fast and heavily armored. For instance in a counter insurgance role it might be better to check how well the mech can fulfill a complex mission if the pilot isn't aware of conditions. For instance Scout till Nav X and eliminate all spotted enemies possible. This can open the unit up to the most usual guerilla attack the hidden infantry point blank shot. If you dont wish to change this test don't be surprised if you have extremely combat oriented medium and heavy mechs with an active probe taped onto their face plate.
3. Downplay the subjective elements of the judging. While this may be realistic it isn't very encouraging for entrants whom may find their design rejected (well not winning) due to a personal prefference. For instance most people either respect the urbanmech as a fairly well designed urban/garrison mech or despise it due to its limited combat abilities in mech to mech fights. Both opinions are valid and unless there is extremely objective (get rid of that grey area im quabblng over) judging you may find the final winner decided based mainly on the subjective. Namely I understand both of the above about the urban mech but "I feel" its ineffective ability versus mechs in combat makes it a bad mech.
4. Unless your going to require it try to get rid of some of the implied requirements. For instance Mobility vs Armor prefered, or the jump capability encouraged by the close terrain. Not every battle is the same and a mech like the hussar may be awesome in flat plains like battlefields while something like the panther is much better when in a close terrain such as canyons or woods.

A last Quirk-
"All contest submissions must be submitted in a formatted, exported .txt file
format from either HMP or TDB."
I understand you gratiously offered to convert our mechs for us, but really why. Unless you are expecting many many entries would it be to hard to simply except any text file with a TRO style. Or another great question (maybe this is stupid), why not just make an entry form style submission on the site?

Other than that I am excited about the contest and would love to participate. Please remember I didnt mean to be offensive I just wanted things clarified. Also I tried to make clear that most of above are my opinions there upon. Please define the benchmark mechs, pretty please. Oh ps im really bad about reading other forums so please read this post too.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/11/03 03:15 AM

Hmm. I’ll field a couple of these:

“In my mind your contest is asking us to deal with conflicting forces, from a role point of view, in comparision to some benchmark you never tell us. It'd be much easier for all of us whom may be intressted to approach this contest if you gave us specific information on what these benchmark mechs are.”

They did. The VL-2T Vulcan and WCT-4M Watchman.

“My apparent confusion could easily be settled by knowing these "benchmark" mechs, though currently here is the view I come from in which the qualities listed seem conflicting.”

I know. They confused me as well. But I hope that was intended; I found it a bit of a challenge to strap together a ‘Mech that (at least, IMO) answered all of their design calls yet was still versatile enough to be formidable outside of its assigned roles. It wouldn’t be much of a Design Challenge if it was a simple case of “Strap as many Machine Guns and/or Flamers to the fastest chassis you can scrape together.” As it is, I fear Panzer will be seeing a million and one Wasp or Stinger refits for that reason alone.

“1. Counter Insurgency forces are generally concerned with eliminated guerilla forces that are stealthy scattered and often don't have access to complex weapons, both due to the need for stealth, and due to limited resources. In my mind in the Battletech cannonthis would mean scattered infantry (especially with specialized training) and possibly access to a few (or one) common vehicle with military applications, such as a planetlifter or refit civilian vehicles mounting small (mech scale) weapons such as an SRM-2. “

Ayup. IMO, such forces could probably be handled with conventional Infantry. Or at least, I know my Faction (the Draconis Combine) has forces available in every single Regiment that can do the job. God bless DEST and their paranoid little hearts .

“**Hence this to mean seems no way consitent with the need of the mech to be able deal with "multiple infantry and armor threats, as well as battle armor. It should also have an
even chance against ‘Mech designs lighter than itself".”

Yeah. That confused me as well. If it’s an Infantry or Vehicle hunter, it shouldn’t need to be able to fight other ‘Mechs. But then, the design calls for a “Budget ‘Mech” that “even Periphery Nations can afford.” So whilst you could easily build something that is t3l-l r0><0rz against enemy tanks and infantry, it may suck at everything else. So you’ve effectively eliminated yourself from the market by being too focussed on splatting the PBIs. In my case, I got around that by using anti-‘Mech weapons supported by Inferno launchers. ‘Mech weapons can slaughter Infantry from range; the Infernos can cook vehicles.

“2. As I understand cannon you are describing a hybrid hunter mech. A mix of the roles of an exterminator, urbanmech, and Komodo. Is the role of this mech to hunt down forces to prevent them from disrupting supply lines on planet during assaults, to destroy key targets, or simply defensive securing and maintaining security over key sites. “

It’s intended to hunt down insurgent threats. Hence the call for the Beagle Active Probe. Since I was designing a lighter-end ‘Mech, I threw on Jump Jets out of habit, though this could be a better call than I thought for the reasons you pointed out. But, since the price limits the mass of the ‘Mech, and the mission specifics the armament of the ‘Mech, most of the problems kinda cancel themselves out. If it can fight infantry, it’s got to be good up close; to be able to hold its own against other ‘Mechs means it should be OK at attacking static positions as well.

The allusions to the Exterminator and Komodo I understand, but the UrbanMech? The Benchmarks they were using were also warnings about what sorts of speeds and masses to use. I think that a 330XL alone (the power plant for the Exterminator) costs more than 13.5 Million…so using it as a benchmark would kinda defeat the point . The Komodo is t3h o\/\/l\l for pasting infantry, but sucks real bad at everything else. And the UrbanMech…well. It’s great if all you need to do is sit still and paste things, but for anything else (like hunting down the enemy) it’s less than worthless. Mind you, at least they didn’t pick the Fireball as their baseline, lol. “…Machine Gun and Streak SRM-2 seemed well-suited to handling opposing Elementals…” my arse. If you have to close to within SRM-2 and Small Laser range (and be at risk of an Anti-Mech Attack) in order to hurt your intended targets, you’ve well and truly missed the point :P.

“3. "budget conscious" - In late tech (read as anything post 3058) the role/s as I am lead to believe are filled by two diverging philosophies. Namely cheap small vehicles (especially VTOLS) and highly advanced expensive units. Hence I think any budget conscious planetary militia wishing to fill the role would simply invest in easily bought and maintained vehicles. For illustration the Skulker costs 183,700 while a Wasp WSP-1D costs 1,636,320, though the skulker likely has a better chance of finding an enemy and can engage it at close to the same efficiency.”

Indeed. Personally, if I were looking for something to handle counter-insurgency operations, I would go looking for a modified hovertank APC and train up some infantry of my own. It’s so much cheaper. VTOLs are another option, but since they can be plinked from the sky so very easily, and then you loose the Infantry as well. Which would blow.

On the Wasp versus the Skulker thing: I dunno. The Wasp is 6/9/6. I don’t remember what the Skulker moves at (it’s probably faster) though it is a Wheeled vehicle. So, the Wasp can move much faster uphill, can move through terrain the Skulker cannot access…and is a much, much more survivable military unit. The Skulker can be plinked for a single point of damage and blow up; it’s possible, though much less likely, that the same would happen to a Wasp.

“4. Mobility prefered over Armor, is this really necessary? I mean a scout car moving 3/5 that can remote montier tons of sensors can continually search a greater area than a mech moving 8/12.”

Possibly. But then, that’s Level 3. They’re after Level 2. And again, a Periphery nation may not be able to maintain the more sophisticated sensor suites, either.

“Define the benchmark mechs, preferably multiple benchmark mechs.’

I don’t know how much of a good idea that is. As soon as I saw “benchmark design”, I immediately opened up the WTC-4M and VL-2T and attempted to refit them. Then I realised I was supposed to be building a new ‘Mech entirely. I think that a lot of people will suffer the same blindness.

“Develop testing missions that are consistent, and follow the cannon. For instance the Pegasus is not only fast and heavily armored. For instance in a counter insurgance role it might be better to check how well the mech can fulfill a complex mission if the pilot isn't aware of conditions. For instance Scout till Nav X and eliminate all spotted enemies possible. This can open the unit up to the most usual guerilla attack the hidden infantry point blank shot. If you dont wish to change this test don't be surprised if you have extremely combat oriented medium and heavy mechs with an active probe taped onto their face plate.”

Maybe. But then, those designs will be weeded out real fast. If they can’t handle the unexpected, they won’t make it through the testing process.

“3. Downplay the subjective elements of the judging. While this may be realistic it isn't very encouraging for entrants whom may find their design rejected (well not winning) due to a personal prefference. For instance most people either respect the urbanmech as a fairly well designed urban/garrison mech or despise it due to its limited combat abilities in mech to mech fights. Both opinions are valid and unless there is extremely objective (get rid of that grey area im quabblng over) judging you may find the final winner decided based mainly on the subjective. Namely I understand both of the above about the urban mech but "I feel" its ineffective ability versus mechs in combat makes it a bad mech.”

I must disagree. The whole structure of this contest is based around both objective and subjective judgement. Everyone has favourites. Let’s be honest, here, the Judges they’ve picked for the competition aren’t going to fling the contract straight to their cousins; they know what they’re doing and won’t play heavy favourites. Plus, the points award system is out in the open; I know I pandered to it.

All in all, though, it is their competition. It’s up to them to run it as they want. The competition does appear to be evolving with time, though the design goals do still appear to be a little bit fuzzy. I’d prefer a stricter outline of what to do with my design.

But, yeah. Any way, here’s what I submitted. It’s not as flashy as something I’d build for my own use, but it should be quite OK in its role. And it’s cheap

Type: GND-01 Gendarme
Technology Base: Inner Sphere, 3060
Mass: 55 Tons
Chassis: GND Endo Steel
Power Plant: Core Tek 275
Cruising Speed: 54.0 kph
Maximum Speed: 86.4 kph
Jump Jets: Lexington Load Lifters
Jump Capacity: 150 Metres
Armour: Durallex Special Medium with CASE
Armament:
1 Victory Nickel Alloy ER Large Laser
1 Victory Starfire Medium Laser
3 Victory Gnatbite Small Lasers
3 Shigunga SRM-2s
Communications System: Sipher SecureCom with integrated Guardian ECM Suite
Targeting and Tracking System: Matabushi Sentinel with integrated Beagle Active Probe
Primary Manufacturer: Dante Enterprises
Primary Factory: Loysville

OVERVIEW

Dante Enterprises of Loysville is a small BattleMech manufacturing firm located near the old Smoke Jaguar border, in the Draconis Combine. Established in late 3060, the firm’s primary role was to be R&D of upgrade kits for serving Draconis Combine designs; however, the firm also managed to acquire some old manufacturing lines from Gorton, Kingsley, and Thorpe, and set up a small manufacturing line to support their technical division. Sub-contacting with the new Crosby ‘Mech Research Firm and Gorton, Kingsley, and Thorpe, Dante Enterprises acquired the rights to the new No-Dachi and aging Panther designs, producing a single new ‘Mech a month. Over time, Dante Enterprises’ manufacturing base and technical staff expanded, and the firm evolved into a minor player in the DCMS manufacturing fields. Dante Enterprises quickly became renowned for its innovative approach to designing new machinery and rebuilding existing designs.

On 09/11/67, Dante Enterprises received a design brief from the Star League, calling for a ‘Mech that could handle enemy armour and infantry. Although the design specifications instructed Dante Enterprises to use the VL-2T Vulcan and WCT-4M Watchman as baselines when designing the new ‘Mech, Dante Enterprises instead used one of the Draconis Combine’s most proven ‘Mechs- the SHD-2H Shadow Hawk.

CAPABILITIES

The Draconis Combine having long since solved he manufacturing problems which historically prevented them from deploying Jump-capable designs en mass, Dante Enterprises’ first port of call was in the addition of two extra Jump Jets to the ‘Mech’s torso, allowing it to leap up to 150 metres and escape deep waters.

Since the ‘Mech would be intended to operate against opposing Special Forces divisions, Dante Enterprises elected to include a Beagle Active Probe to aid in detecting hidden and shut-down units, as well as a powerful Guardian ECM Suite to shield the ‘Mech as it maneuvers to oppose the enemy. Both electronic items are housed in EW blisters that rise from the ‘Mech’s shoulders, giving both systems 360 degree arcs of coverage. Though the Guardian Active Probe has proven a popular addition for the few DEST pilots who have tested the design, they have questioned the usefulness of the Active Probe, as most Special Forces teams are outfitted with Nighthawk, Infiltrator, or Kage suits which even the sophisticated suite cannot detect. However, its use in detecting Stealth Armoured units has gone some way to allaying those concerns.

The design team opted for the ultimate in survivability and cost efficiency by keeping the Core Tek 275 Power Plant in the face of the greater speed and lower mass offered by XL engines. Since the ‘Mech is intended to operate alone, behind enemy lines, and quite probably unsupported, the additional ease of maintenance and survivability edge granted by the heavier Core Tek, combined with 10.5 tons of Durallex Special Medium with CASE, the ‘Mech is capable of operating under heavy fire. The ‘Mech’s legs are also more heavily armoured than the norm, to protect the design from enemy Anti-Mech attacks. The ‘Mech’s internal superstructure was replaced with new Endo Steel, considerably lightening the mass it occupies and freeing up vital weight for offensive systems.

Primarily armed with a powerful Victory Nickel Alloy ER Large Laser, capable of hitting targets out past 600 metres, no enemy infantry or vehicle is safe. The main weapon was moved from the Left Torso to the Right Arm, held in a rifle assembly that makes the ‘Mech look similar to the Griffon.

The main weapon is supported by a head-mounted Medium Laser and a three-pack of Small Lasers. Although the Medium Laser is capable of damaging enemy ‘Mechs, the Victory Gnatbite Lasers are intended solely for use against enemy infantry. The Medium Laser, mounted in the ‘Mech’s head, has a limited firing arc, but the trio of Small Lasers are held in a triangular mount extending like claws over the ‘Mech’s left hand.

The final weapons the ‘Mech carries, however, are likely to be its most feared; a trio of Shigunga SRM-2s, one mounted in each torso, supplied with a plentiful 2 tons of ammunition. Typically, one ton loads Smoke ammunition to obscure the ‘Mech’s location, whilst the other ton loads the dreaded Inferno ammunition. Simulated testing has seen the Inferno rockets inspire terror amongst enemy Infantry, who can be boxed in or simply incinerated by the volatile incendiary rounds.

The ‘Mech has been fitted with a single additional Double Heat Sink., allowing it to dissipate almost all of the heat it generates, even at a full jump. Pilots can safely use most of their firepower most of the time; they are encouraged to skip firing the ER Large Laser at closer targets in order to most efficiently manage their heat.

At the end of the refitting process, the Dante engineers felt they had moved on from creating a simple Shadow Hawk variant to making an entirely new design. Therefore, they decided to rename the ‘Mech; a simple historical search provided a new name: Gendarme, the elite French enforcement division from ancient Terra.

DEPLOYMENT

Thus far, only three Gendarme exist, purpose-built proof-of-concept ‘Mechs. If the design is accepted by the Star League for deployment to the SLDF, Dante Enterprises would likely have to sub-contract construction of the design. Since the ‘Mech is relatively low-tech in terms of construction materials and requirements, it is possible the task could even be contracted out to a Periphery nation.

VARIANTS

After the elite DEST were called in to help the testing process, rumours flew thick and fast that the Dragon was considering picking up the design for its most elite warriors. Ever since the attempt on Coordinator Theodore Kurita’s life, he has maintained a small cadre of DEST MechWarriors that augment the Otomo, Izanagi Warriors, and Second Sword of Light as his personal guard. These rumours have quietly given way to reality; the Gendarme project has given birth to the Shadow Hunter. Whereas the Gendarme focus on low-cost efficiency, the Shadow Hunter is intended to hunt down and destroy enemy threats up to and including enemy ‘Mechs equipped with Stealth Armour. The ‘Mech changes up to a powerful VOX 330 XL Engine, and is armed with a Victory Heartbeat Large Pulse Laser, supported by a Victory Nightfire ER Medium Laser and a pair of Shigunga SRM-4s. It is also capable of jumping 30 metres further.

NOTABLE 'MECHS AND MECHWARRIORS

The legendary Graeme Southall, Dante Enterprises’ most hapless test pilot, was unleashed with the new Gendarme. Based as it was on an ancient Star League design, it was unsurprising that even Graeme’s best (worst?) efforts were unable to cause major problems with the ‘Mech.

Aside from tearing an EW pylon from the ‘Mech after pitching over face-first into a stand of maple trees, he was unable to reveal any design flaws. The pylons were, of course, heavily reinforced after that expensive lesson.

COST ANALYSIS

The GND-01 Gendarme comes in at 5,942,521 C-Bills, less than 1.5 million C-Bills more than the old 3025 SHD-2H Shadow Hawk it was based upon. The VL-2T Vulcan costs 3,462,900 C-Bills and the WCT-4M Watchman 2,990,028 C-Bills. In all, it costs less than twice as much as either of those designs despite having a much greater performance capability, and is substantially under the 13.5 million C-Bill design ceiling.

By contrast, the Shadow Hunter comes in at 12,644,590 C-Bills. This is not expected to cause concern, as the Shadow Hunter currently exists only as a computer simulation and, if deployed at all, will only be used by DEST.

MY BLURB

Although I was tempted to load my ‘Mechs down with Machine Guns and mumble something about “kills 2D6 (*2 in Clear terrain) infantry”, I decided to be a bit more daring and adventurous and use Small Lasers instead. Flamers would probably have been a better choice, but I was running out of tonnage. But the Infernos…oh, yes, the Infernos . I am an Inferno junkie. And since you want a tank-hunter, I even have an excuse this time .

I would have equipped the Shadow Hunter with Triple Strength Myomers as well, but that takes it over the 13.5 Million C-Bill ceiling. Such is life.

MASS BREAKDOWNS

GND-01 Gendarme

Engine: 15.5
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Endo Steel: 3
Armour: 10.5
2 CASE: 1
Jump Jets: 2.5
1 Additional Double Heat Sink1: 1
1 ER Large Laser: 5
1 Medium Laser: 1
3 Small Lasers: 1.5
3 SRM-2s with 2 Tons of SRM-2 Ammunition: 5
Beagle Active Probe: 1.5
Guardian ECM Suite: 1.5

SHD-01 Shadow Hunter

Engine: 12.5
Gyro: 4
Cockpit: 3
Endo Steel: 3
Armour: 10.5
2 CASE: 1
Jump Jets: 3
1 Additional Double Heat Sink: 1
1 Large Pulse Laser: 7
1 ER Medium Laser: 1
2 SRM-4’s with 2 tons of Ammunition: 6
Beagle Active Probe: 1.5
Guardian ECM Suite: 1.5

GAME STATISTICS

GND-01 Gendarme

Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 5

Total Heat Sinks: 11 (22) Double Heat Sinks

Notes: Equipped with Endo Steel, Double Heat Sinks, Active Probe, and ECM Suite.

SHD-01 Shadow Hunter

Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Jumping MP: 6

Total Heat Sinks: 11 (22) Double Heat Sinks

Notes: Equipped with Endo Steel, XL Engine, Double Heat Sinks, Active Probe, and ECM Suite.

ARMOUR DISTRIBUTION

Both

Head: 9
Centre Torso: 25/8
Side Torsos: 17/7
Arms: 16
Legs: 23

LOCATIONS

GND-01 Gendarme

1 Medium Laser- Head.
1 Jump Jet, 1 SRM-2- Centre Torso.
2 Jump Jets, 1 SRM-2, Active Probe, 1 Ton SRM-2 Ammunition, CASE- Left Torso.
2 Jump Jets, 1 SRM-2, ECM Suite, 1 Ton SRM-2 Ammunition, CASE- Right Torso.
1 ER Large Laser, 6 Endo Steel- Right Arm
3 Small Lasers, 5 Endo Steel- Left Arm
1 Endo Steel- Left Leg
2 Endo Steel- Right Leg

SHD-01 Shadow Hunter

1 ER Medium Laser- Head.
2 Jump Jets- Centre Torso.
3 XL Engine, 2 Jump Jets, SRM-4, Active Probe, 1 Ton SRM-4 Ammunition, CASE- Left Torso.
3 XL Engine, 2 Jump Jets, SRM-4, ECM Suite, 1 Ton SRM-4 Ammunition, CASE- Right Torso.
Large Pulse Laser, 6 Endo Steel- Right Arm.
8 Endo Steel- Left Arm.

BVs

The Gendarme is worth 1,279 BVs. The Benchmarks were worth 523 and 865 for the Vulcan and Watchman respectively. It’s a bit much to say that one Gendarme is worth the same as both of those together, but them, I guess, are the vagaries of the BV systems.

The Shadow Hunter is actually worth less, at 1,255 BVs.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
tgsofgc
11/11/03 04:20 AM

Well that cleared up most of my questions quite well, thanks! I must have totally missed the Watchman/Vulcan thing, but hey I have your mech as a benchmark now . I understood it was, and is, there contest I was just really ummm confused by what I read here.
Oh and never underestimate the trashcan er.... i mean urbanmech!
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/11/03 05:38 PM

Well I guess I should redesign again. I started with a wolverine chasis and decided on a short range oriented mech backed up by a long range punching weapon. Needless to say my mech looks eerily similar.
I'll post the stats here real quick, note this isn't entered yet and likely won't be.

Tech: 2 IS
Tonnage: 55
Engine: 275 15.5
Walk MP: 5
Run MP: 8
Jump MP: 5 (2.5 tons)
Internal Structure: Endosteel 3 tons
Heat Sinks: 11(22) 1 ton
Armor: 11 tons 176 pts
H: 9/3
Center Torso: 25/18
Center Torso Rear: 10
R/L Torso: 18/13
R/L Torso Rear: 8
R/L Arm: 18
R/L Leg: 22

Weapons and Equipment:
Flamer x2 LA 2 tons 2 crits
Machine Gun x2 LT 1 ton 2 crits
Machine Guns x2 RT 1 ton 2 crits
SRM-2 LT 1 ton 1 crit
SRM-2 RT 1 ton 1 crit
Ammo (SRM-2, Inferno)- 50 LT 1 ton 1 crit
Ammo (MG)- 100 LT 0.5 tons 1 crit
CASE LT 0.5 tons 1 crit
Beagle Active Probe RT 1.5 tons 2 crits
ER Small Laser (rear facing) LT 0.5 tons 1 crit
ER Small Laser (rear facing) RT 0.5 tons 1 crit
ER Small Laser (rear facing) CT 0.5 tons 1 crit
Jump Jet x2 LT 1 ton 2 crits
Jump Jet x2 RT 1 ton 2 crits
Jump Jet CT 0.5 tons 1 crit
ER Large Laser RA 5 tons 2 crits

Of course the idea with this type of mech would be to fight strong targets or potentially threatening situations from afar with the Large Laser for as long as possible. However when actually in hunting roles that require the mech to actively scout with its active probe it uses its massive extremely short range punch to quickly dispatch of nearly anything smaller than itself. Oh and don't even put up infantry versus it cause that would just be funny, in clear terrain 2d6 x 12 muhahaha. Oh the ER Smalls are all mounted rearward to protect it from extremely agile light mechs which will no doubt attempt to get behind it.

Like I said I'd just feel guilty submitting this now its o similar to your mech....
(a note to those whom are wondering a 5/8/5 is most tonnage efficient with a 55 ton mech, though you can make less expensive smaller mechs)
BV: 1,175
Cost: 5,478,294 cbills
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/12/03 02:30 AM

Pl-l43r t3h l_lr84l\ll\/l3cl-l!!!!!1111one!

If that was you entry, that's your entry. Don't worry; great minds think alike

The "Benchmark Designs" were pretty well-hidden in the design specs text.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5382

Contact Admins Sarna.net