Your feedback

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/03/03 12:28 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey everyone, I would like your feedback on the new site look and forums.

Does you like the changes?
What could I change to make it easier to read/navigate/etc?
What other parts of the site should I update?
What should I add to the site?

My current plans for updates are:
1) The Player DB will be updated for more info, better searching, and updating by players
2) Most of the data in the BT Informational Archive will be updated to a SQL database.
3) More integration with the forums and the rest of the site -- possibly gaining "C-Bills" for use in the rest of the site, buying items, etc.
4) File archive will be updated with more files, descriptions for each file.
5) Mech/Units/etc submissions will be intergrated to your login name, voting for the best submissions, auto-moderation, etc.
If you have any ideas or comments, please reply to this post!
Do you like the new look?
You may choose only one
Yes! It looks great!
No, change it back!
Undecided (comment below!)

Votes accepted from (11/03/03 12:26 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

-- NicJ
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/04/03 08:03 AM

Whoops -- you guys couldn't reply before. Now you can. So if you had any comments you were ACHING to share, please do so now
-- NicJ
50cal
11/04/03 01:38 PM

I like what you have done with the site . I think some kind of free non-downloadable game would be neat. Maybe a mech card game? It wouldn’t really need to be complicated. You earn C-Bills by posting and threw card bets. It could be done threw private messages. Say I have a mech card. I will set things up and PM it to Jim. He will get the PM and if he likes the bet/prize he could accept it. The server would do its thing and the winner could get the C-Bill prize, and reputation. The C-Bills could be used to repair Mech cards, and buy new ones. I never have really played these kind card games. So I’m not sure how the rules would work.

It’s just a thought. Something to pass the time and encourage posting.
Precentor XI 50cal
GomGuards
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/04/03 07:18 PM

I would like to get a lot more interaction going on in Sarna.net as well! I like your idea of an online game.

What I was thinking of for the C-Bills, you would get paid each day for your current "rank" in the forums. You could send and recieve money to/from others. I will link this to the submissions where people can vote on other's mechs/units/etc, and they can get credits based on their rankings.

As for "using" C-Bills, I am trying to figure out how you could spend them. I will be opening an online store soon, maybe credits and/or coupons to online stores?

Any other ideas? Anyone?
-- NicJ
CrayModerator
11/05/03 05:49 AM

Update the weapon tables in the Board Game section. Not that I'd post mech designs while I was at work or anything, but I frequently find those tables very useful, and having the latest weapons on them would be cool.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
sdog
11/05/03 12:43 PM

just persuade randy to exchange them for nev DP, and you'll get 500% more submissions at any part of the forums :-)

the new design looks nice. i also was surprised that there is more then neveron forum here, never noticed it before. the high speed is also just great.
on the downside i do have problems with the cound of new replies for a thread. it doesn't reset for me after reading the thread. [excample: 7 (5) <- the number in brackets doesn't reset]
UPDATE: it seems to work for me now :-)

the icon that indicates if i have already viewed a post in flat mode is also not working for me. (i'm using mozilla 1.4)

Edited by sdoc (11/05/03 02:00 PM)
Mazer
11/05/03 04:36 PM

Agreed, the read/unread post markings aren't updating properly, although it's hard to pin down exactly how. Overall though the new forums are great! The extra stuff besides the Nev and BT forums (file archives, stories) is really great I just wish I could find copies of the older games like MW1, 2, and 2 Mercs. I found 1 once but it ran so fast all I saw was a blur from some light mech and I died (And yes, I tried a CPU controller, it didn't work )
Struck, sir? I have not yet begun to fight! - John Paul Jones
Mazer
11/05/03 04:44 PM

Oh, one other thing, the IP link next to the Nev link at the bottom of the column on the left points to 216.19.47.70 still, might be a good idea to change that
Struck, sir? I have not yet begun to fight! - John Paul Jones
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/05/03 10:02 PM

Mike,

I will get the tables updated ASAP
-- NicJ
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/05/03 10:03 PM

sdoc,

Does it show OK if you reload the page? Or never? I haven't seen this myself, I am wondering if you are looking at a "cached" page.

Please let me know
-- NicJ
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/05/03 10:05 PM

Good call, updated!
-- NicJ
Nightward
11/06/03 01:07 AM

Sounds good. How much do us crusty old-timer high rankers get ?
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
widowmaker
11/06/03 05:53 AM

I am also having a glitch with the read/unread post icons. The outer forum list (site index) works, but when I go into the forum to see the thread list, I get more 'unread' indicators than the index indicated. And it's not a refresh issue, because my browser is set to check for newer versions of stored pages every visit to the page. So... ???

Other than that, love the look.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Tigre
11/06/03 07:09 AM

As Mazer posts (We Georgian's tend to think alike, no inbreeding jokes please, I'm originally from Michigan) but it's only on certain threads. Most update for me, but I have 2 threads in the nev forums that always show the same messages unread no matter how many times I read them.
- Tigre

Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
- Francis Bacon
Tigre
11/06/03 07:10 AM

as well the non-IP link shows www.neveron.com, and it should show www2.neveron.com
- Tigre

- Francis Bacon
sdog
11/06/03 09:19 AM

reloading the page does not solve the problem.

the read post are marked correctly on the: "viewing list of forum" page.
but if i enter a section, for example "general discussion" the count of new post shows all new posts since the change.

after returning from a thread to the section, it did reset the count. actually it did it for the first time yesterday, BUT as i visited the page again today the new post counts show the wrong values again.
my ISP uses dynamic IP addresses, they are changing after each dial up.

Edited by sdoc (11/06/03 09:23 AM)
tgsofgc
11/07/03 12:46 AM

Love the changes to the site so far and am very optimistic for the future updates. I'd just caution you to tread carefully with your promotional idea of the C-bills. It could result in quantity over quality with lots of meaningless posts cluttering the forums, or causing infrequent visitors to become dissillusion because the forum seems to cater to the hardcore people.
Please keep up the great work though!
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Tigre
11/07/03 08:57 AM

sdoc, does it do it on all threads? I have 3 threads that have this issue, all other threads appear to be normal.
- Tigre

- Francis Bacon
Sahaquiel
11/07/03 12:29 PM

I have this problem with all threads. It worked fine with the old forum system though :-/
Whalefsh
11/10/03 11:41 AM

Got the same problem with read/unread. But overall it looks good!
Whalefsh

What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you excercise it?
To whom are you accountable? How do we get rid of you?
- Tony Benn
mordel
11/11/03 10:58 PM

Quote:

I'd just caution you to tread carefully with your promotional idea of the C-bills. It could result in quantity over quality with lots of meaningless posts cluttering the forums, or causing infrequent visitors to become dissillusion because the forum seems to cater to the hardcore people.

Just a little note on this one. I instituted a Credits system on my site a short time ago. With certain things, you need to have some sort of approval layer in place. Concerning the posts, myself or one of my moderators will approve the post for wether or not it is worthy of recieving a credit. I was worried about the same thing at first. A lot of meaningless posts to increase credits. But to be honest, it hasn't happened. The quantity and quality of posts remained about the same.

Nice job on the updates, it's starting to look nice.
Grizzly
11/12/03 04:24 PM

Nic, I have been trying it out for a couple of days, and I really like the new look. Excellent work! Very easy to navigate and load times are not a problem. Thanks for the great update to a great site!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/12/03 06:16 PM

Just a little note... I'm not done working on the site (by a long shot), I've just been super-busy with college work. I'll get some time this wkend
-- NicJ
Nightward
11/12/03 10:16 PM

Things have been pretty quiet around here lately, and most forums are self-moderating. But if your plans work and we see increased traffic (and increased newbs)...

Perhaps some new moderators? Panzer and Mordel apparently come here sometimes, and I wouldn't mind the power either

And maybe an introduction Forum. That works pretty well on the other sites I've been using lately.

Good luck with the Colledge stuff. I know how it is. Accursed third year...frickin'...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
tgsofgc
11/12/03 10:24 PM

Well this isn't really totally on topic but I'd like to see a little bit of overhaul in the architecture. I think the seperate battlespace/aerotech thread is nice, but wouldn't it be nice to divide up the design thread a little more. Maybe you could make a Mech Thread, a Homebrew equipment thread, and an other thread.
Also, again off topic, do we (as in all members of the forum) ever use sticky threads here?
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
mordel
11/13/03 01:01 AM

Quote:

Panzer and Mordel apparently come here sometimes, and I wouldn't mind the power either

I try to stay up-to-date with all the important BattleTech sites. I mean, they're all important since they all support the BattleTech community, but the Mrs. would kill me if I surfed the net all night and ignored her. So, I browse periodically and see what is new. If anything cool is happening at a site I announce it at mine. I ignore CBT, however (except for checked the news) because it's too slow and too many idiots.
Mordel Blacknight
Site Administrator
http://www.mordel.net
Grizzly
11/13/03 01:24 AM

Nic, I can understand that... been busy with work for like the last 6 or 9 months and have not been too busy (lurker) on the boards. But I try to check in at least once a day even if I don't post. College can get busy, heck took me too long to finish... Keep up the great work, but don't forget what is important.... Thanks!!!!!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Nightward
11/13/03 03:35 AM

"I ignore CBT, however (except for checked the news) because it's too slow and too many idiots."

I'm with you there. I dunno, that place scares me. Too many of the posters are like "I have t3h BMR!!!11111one! I kno ev3ryhting about the game!!!!111one!f34r me!!!111one!"

Which is a pity because, aside from the speed issues, Deathshadow's turning into a nice place place.
Nightward
11/13/03 03:39 AM

I think Sticky threads have to be set by Administrators or Moderators. Which we don't really have, the almighty Slayer (Nic Jansma) excepted, of course. The others seem to have moved on to greener pastures.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/13/03 06:27 PM

Yeah if traffic picks up, I'll see if some nice people would like to help moderate a bit. I've remeved everyone else who had mod powers (chas, etc) as they hadn't logged in for like 6 months

Right now it's pretty easy going though, which is nice!
-- NicJ
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 32209

Contact Admins Sarna.net