TRH-2X Tigerhawk Upgraded

Pages: 1
tgsofgc
11/12/03 08:06 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I hope Bob doesn't mind my humble interpretation of his excellent 3025 shadowhawk alternative, which was dubbed a fire support mech by many.
I tried to follow a very simple ethis and cram in as much advanced tech as possible without either:
1) Impacting its performance (aka xl engine)
2) Changing its role as a variable range brawler

Tech: IS Level 2 (3050-58, depending on the date you put on er meds)
Tonnage: 55
Internal Structure: Endo steel 3.0 tons
Engine: 275 15.5 tons
Walk MP: 5
Run MP: 8
Jump MP: 5 (2.5 tons)
Heat sinks: 10 (20)
Armor: Ferro Fibrous 10 tons (originally 9.5 tons standard)
H: 9/3
R/L Torso: 18/13
R/L Torso Rear: 8
Center Torso: 25/18
Center Torso Rear: 10
R/L Arm: 18/9
R/L Leg: 24/13
Weapons and Equipment:
LRM-5 RT 2 tons 1 crit
Artemis IV FCS RT 1 ton 1 crit
LRM-5 RT 2 tons 1 crit
Artemis IV FCS RT 1 ton 1 crit
Ammo (LRM-5 w/AIV)-24 RT 1 ton 1 crit
LRM-5 LT 2 tons 1 crit
Artemis IV FCS LT 1 ton 1 crit
LRM-5 LT 2 tons 1 crit
Artemis IV FCS LT 1 ton 1 crit
Ammo (LRM-5 w/AIV)-24 LT 1 ton 1 crit
ER Med Laser RA 1 ton 1 crit
ER Med Laser RA 1 ton 1 crit
ER Med Laser LA 1 ton 1 crit
ER Med Laser LA 1 ton 1 crit
Jump Jet x2 RT 1 ton 2 crits
Jump Jet x2 LT 1 ton 2 crits
Jump Jet CT 0.5 tons 1 crit

Key choices I made:
1) Cost through the roof, I didn't avoid alot of expensive systems I normally would because I figured a frontline brawler being upgraded shouldn't pussy foot. So its cost is pretty high, though the lack of a XL engine keeps it cheap in comparision to those mechs.
2) Don't fix what isn't broken. I didnt bother to mess with making the mech more heat efficient, or extend its ammo bays instead concentration on armor and weapon efficiency. To this end the 4 ER Meds make 20 heat, and it can dissipate 20. This is almost exactly like the 12 it generated before (4 meds) and could dissipate.
3) Artemis vs more weapons. This decission I made based primarily on being tue to the design and not totally redesigning it.
4) ER meds instead of more weapons. See above, also this helped over come one of the designs primary faults and that was the nasty 6 hex range where the lrms are dropping off and the lasers are still at med.
BV: 1,353
Cost: 6,238,956

As a bonus due to the extra heat dissipation from those DHSs at middle ranges the mech can afford to throw out a little extra damage by using a hybrid of its two primary weapon tics. Namely 4 LRM-5s is only 8 heat, which is 13 with a 5 jump. This means you can use at least 1 or the ER Meds or kill some heat when you are firing the LRMs.

Note this is not a fire support mech. If you need to knock it, knock the fact that for an upgrade it doesn't have alot of hole punching ability. (Note this is relavent only to the upgrade when larger caliber weapons have become more common on little mechs)
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Grizzly
11/12/03 11:37 AM

Actually it isn't a bad design at all, so I won't knock it. It has good movement, good armor, and the weapon ranges complement each other nicely. Yes it doesn't have the knock down power of some other mechs, but it is a nice change from always having a ppc or an ac/20 or multiple large lasers... a refreshing change!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
widowmaker
11/14/03 03:17 AM

I'd call it a complementary 'Mech. As stated, it doesn't have a 'knockout punch', but there are plenty of 'Mechs out there with big, hard-hitting weapons. This 'Mech would serve as a set-up man, wearing down the opponent so that when his buddies come along, it's that much easier (and more likely) to take the enemy down. To use a baskerball analogy, it's an assist man.

I like.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4907

Contact Admins Sarna.net