A useful LAC/5

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
09/25/01 09:56 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
After excitedly hitting upon the idea of an AC/5 or AC/2 someone would use in this era of ultra-tech weaponry and developing the LAC/2 and LAC/5, the researchers at NAIS were disappointed to see their creations sit untouched, unused, unwanted, on warehouse shelves. It was as if field commanders thought the light autocannons weren't worth the metal they were made from.

With proposals for next year's budget coming due, the researchers didn't want to lose their funding so they hurriedly slapped together a new use for the LAC's: the TAAMS, or Tactical Area Anti-Missile System. Rather than burdening individual mechs with a low-capacity or high-heat AMS, the TAAMS would allow a unit to designate a single mech as an anti-missile platform.

Though the prospect of dedicating a single mech or vehicle to a reactive, defensive role seemed questionable, the 3060s were an era when medium mechs frequently cost more than assault mechs 3 decades earlier. What was the expense of a dedicated anti-missile platform against that?

The TAAMS evolved quickly out of a hybrid of a LAC/5 and a streamlined Beagle Active Probe dedicated to tracking missiles. The resulting combination predictably grew in weight and size, and the BAP made it expensive. Range fell further as the ammunition was optimized for destroying flights of missiles with large, proximity-fused warheads. Despite a trade off of propellent for explosive, the shells grew until the TAAMS received half as many shots per ton as its LAC/5 ancestor.

This did have the benefit of making the TAAMS a vicious anti-infantry weapon, though the lightweight shrapnel was useless against battlearmor and heavier opponents.

TAAMS, Tactical Area Anti-Missile System
Weight: 6 tons
Size: 3 crits
Heat: 1
Shots: 10/ton
Damage: Special; 10 vs infantry (and for ammo explosions)
Range: 1-3/4-6/7-9
Cost: 400,000 C-bills

Effects: Inflicts 2d6x2 damage against missile swarms targeted at the mounting unit, 3d6 vs missile swarms fired at targets within its short range, 2d6 vs swarms in medium range, and 1d6 vs swarms in long range. It can be used against infantry at extreme range but not missiles. Each salvo only uses 1 shot of the 10 per ton - the big, bursting shells are much more effective against missiles than small standard AMS bullets.

Flaws: Can only engage missiles from 1 attacker per turn - beware of multiple attackers using missiles. Can only engage missiles swarms in the arc it faces, favoring mounting in arms and turrets.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
09/25/01 07:55 PM

Sure, I'm open to suggestions for lower tonnages or improved effectiveness.

I was thinking about providing some ludicrous level of missile destruction like 4d6x2 (base), but saying that had to cover all missiles from all volleys the TAAMS engaged per turn. Alternately, I could make the TAAMS lighter. Input is appreciated here - I don't use AMSs much.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
tgsofgc
11/13/03 03:20 PM

oooh I like this, it could be my new favorite homebrew equipment on this forum!
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/14/03 12:42 AM

Wow, you really are mining through those old posts.

This one's so old, I think I hadn't yet stopped posting. I can't really remember when I stopped, but it wasn't long after 9/11. Kinda did a life-adjustment after that.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/14/03 12:48 AM

Actually believe it or not I think I have made it through all of the design forum that sarna has archived. Shortly after this post about (5-10) if I remember right the board drops off. I guess it only keeps around around 2 years of posts. Sadly I can hardly imagine all the great stuff lurking in the years I never I had a chance to read.
I understand your choice but glad you can still find time to at least look at this semi dead board, I enjoy the company...
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
CrayModerator
11/14/03 06:26 AM

Well, hey, glad you liked it. I think I reposted something similar more recently but, yep, this was probably the original posting.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6233

Contact Admins Sarna.net