Twin Engines (Semi-long) [homebrew tech]

Pages: 1
tgsofgc
11/14/03 11:57 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
First off this is very ruff, and the main reason I am posting this is for review (and hopefully help balancing it). This is intended as late years homebrew (read as after the xl engine).
This system was developed as a means of drastically increasing a mech's speed with out the high cost in terms of both vulnerability, and money of a XXL engine.
The system works by a mech utilizing 2 standard engine's as appose to a single larger (like xl, or XXL) engine. To use this system the mech's engine rating must be divisable by 2 and result in 2 same sized engines (of the standard sizes). These 2 engines are mounted in each of the side Torsos (Right and Left Torso) and all the critical locations normally occupied by a mechs engine in the center torso are considered empty. Part of the consequence of the system is that the mech must mount an output regulator. This regulator weighs 1 ton and requires 1 crit for each 100 combined engine rating or fraction there of. The mech still may only place heat sinks in the engine as if it had a single engine of the combined rating.
Criticals: Each engine requires 3 critical hits to destroy (or have the torso its located in destroyed) to destroy that engine. A mech isn't considered engineless until both of its twin engines are considered destroyed, or its center torso is destroyed. For purposes of salvage a mech is considered salvagable as long as it has at least one undestroyed engine and the center torso hasn't been destroyed. Treat critical hits to both engines as cumulative. (For example: if each of the mechs 2 engines had taken 2 critical hits, it would accumulat 20 heat a turn from damaged sheilding) Engine destruction, if one of the engine's is destroyed the mech's movement rate is halved (rounded down). Similarly if the Regulator (in the center torso) takes even a single critical hit it is considered destroyed. Once the regulator is destroyed halve the mechs movement rounded down. Treat the first 3rd engine hit you recieve as not only destroying the mech's engine (whichever it is) but also increase its heat leakage by 5 (15 total for that engine).
Cost:
A Twin Engine costs as follows:
Rating = Combined Engine total rating
tonnage = mech tonnage as per normal engine cost
((10,000 x Rating x tonnage)/75)x2 [Yes this is the same as an xl engine would cost]
The Router costs as follows
2,500x(Router Tonnage)xtonnage

Comparisions
A 60 ton mech moving 5 requires a 300 rated engine.
The Standard Engine (300 rated)
Weight: 19.0 tons
Cost: 1,200,000
The Light Engine (300 rated)
Weight: 14.5
Cost: 3,600,000
The XL Engine (300 rated)
Weight: 9.5
Cost: 4,800,000
The XXL Engine (300 rated)
Weight: 6.5
Cost: 24,000,000
The Twin Engine (300 total, 150 x2)
Weight: 11 (5.5 x2 +3(router))
Cost: 5,250,000 (4,800,000 +450,000(Router))

Now an example with a 400 Rated engine (note i'm only listing the standard and xl)
80 ton moving 5/8 = 400 rated engine
Standard
Weight: 52.5
Cost: 2,133,333
XL
Weight: 26.5
Cost: 8,533,333
Twin (400 total = 200 x2)
Weight: 21 (8.5 x2 +4(router))
Cost: 9,533,333 (xl + 1,000,000 Router)

Notes:
Also I believe currenltly depending on how balanced folks think this is that it could be used to simulater Large engines in a more weight efficient manner, though this may require a greater cost and a heavier router. Also right now I am of the mind that this should give the mech a high bv than an XL engine (inner sphere) because:
1) The massive loss in # of crits will likely offset the advantage.
2) the mech is more survivable it doesn't die immediatly after losing one side torso, though its hampered
Currently BV wise I am thinking a multiplier of x0.90 as appose to an xl's x0.75 and a standard's x1.5

Please let me know what you think and any possible changes you'd recommend to make it more balanced in your mind.
Hope that wasn't too long of a post
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
CrayModerator
11/15/03 08:54 AM

First comment: If you're putting twin engines in a mech, there's no point in aiming for "balance."

Second...well, I have my own opinion of how twin engines "should" work, and it's definitely a bit different than yours, so my comments on your system would not be along the lines of improving your idea, but rather implementing mine.

(Significant differences: the engines are half in the center torso, and occupy 3 slots in the side torsos like an XL. Also, there's no router.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
tgsofgc
11/15/03 01:02 PM

Please post your version of twin engines, it never hurts to have more choices. Plus who knows your system may inspire me to at least partially change mine.

Also the reason I made alot of choices was to preserve the game balance, which can get shakey when you start introducing such radical tech (you know?).
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
LordChaos
11/18/03 05:28 AM

hmm.. I'll see if I can find my twin engine rules as well.. additional options never hurt.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5074

Contact Admins Sarna.net