Duel Engine House Rules

Pages: 1
LordChaos
11/21/03 05:40 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Duel Engines

These are some house-rules for duel engines. A friend and I toyed around with these for a bit. These have NOT been extensively playtested, as we got into other games and now I can't find him anymore. Feel free to try out and leave feedback.

1st, I'm going to define two terms (1 term, and 1 item).

A - CER - Combined Engine Rating. This is the total of the engine ratings of both engines.

B - Power Coupling. This is a new peice of equipment that equalizes the energy distribution from the engines and is required to allow the mech to function with both engines.

Ok, now for the fun stuff - how to make a duel engine mech!

Follow normal mech construction rules except as follows :

After determining the engine rating for the mech, divide it in two to get the engine rating for each engine. Your original rating is now your CER. (yes, both engines must be identical). No, you can' use XL engines (lack of space, as you'll see). You knew that though, didn't you?

Use the CER to determine gyro size as per normal for a engine with a rating equal to the CER.

Then, devide the CER by 100 (round up, as you would for your gyro). This is the number of Power Couplings required. Each PC weighs 1 ton and takes 1 crit (CT only).

Next, when filling out the crit sheets, remove all 6 engine crits from the CT. Place 6 engine crits in both the RT and LT. Place the required PCs in the CT.

And yes, each engine comes with the standard number of HS (10), and can hold the standard number of HS (ER/25). So the mech starts with 20 HS off the bat (but would require 2x 250 engines to fit them all in the engines).

Now, for use in a game.

You can shut down (or restart) ether engine by spending 1 turn imoble (can't fire weapons or do torso twists during this turn ether). Can spot for inderect fire however. once a engine is shut down, consider the mech to have the CER of only the 1 engine (1/2 the normal for the me) (possibly effected by other damage, see below) and recalculate the movement (rounding down). The shut down engine doesn't generate any heat, but it's HS's still work (helps if you have taken engine damage). If an engine is destroyed while active, however, it's too late to shut it down safely (the feedback of an improper shutdown damages the PC's).

Walking generates 2 heat, running generates 4 heat.

Each engine can take the normal 3 engine hits before being destroyed.

A hit on a PC destroys it. This results in the CER effectively being reduced by 100 (if both engines active) or 50 (if only 1 engine active). Recalculate movement as needed (rounding down).

Opinions? Someone want to rewrite it more legibly? anyone want to write some background fiction? ;-)

Next up - Redundent Gyro System!
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
widowmaker
11/21/03 06:04 AM

Quote:

If an engine is destroyed while active, however, it's too late to shut it down safely (the feedback of an improper shutdown damages the PC's).

I'm not clear on what this means. Is there an effect on the PCs when an engine is destroyed? Or is the effect the same as shutting one engine down (minus the option to restart, obviously)?

Otherwise, seems pretty good. Several advantages, several disadvantages. Can't be sure if they balance out without playtesting, of course, but a good concept.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
LordChaos
11/21/03 06:43 AM

I'll try to clearify.

If an engine is destroyed while in use, it destroyes the power couplers, rendering the mech powerless (as if a normal mech had taken 3 engine hits). If an engine is destroyed after it's been shut down, then it has no effect on the power couplers.

So, you say you take 2 hits to the engine in your RT, and are rather positive you're gonna loose it soon. You spend that turn shutting it down. Now, when they destroy it, it doesn't effect you.

On the other hand, let's say you take a through armor crit to the RT and get 3 engine hits right off. Well, now you are SOL, cause the engine was active and the feedback of it going out damaged all the power couplers. Your second engine still works, but you have no way of getting power out of it so it doesn't matter, you are effectively dead.

Clear?
widowmaker
11/21/03 06:45 AM

Ah, yes. That is much clearer. I didn't catch the SOL situation before.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
LordChaos
11/21/03 06:48 AM

No problem. Check out my 2 other tech options too. The Redundent Gyro System is ment to be used with the Duel Engines (can make for a realy hard to kill mech).
tgsofgc
11/21/03 02:08 PM

Very cool, seems perfect for upgrading those lvl 1 assault mechs that generate lots of heat.

AWS-8QT
Mass: 80 tons
Engine: 300 dual (150 x2)
(5.5 x2 + 3 [powercouplings] = 14 tons)
Walk MP: 3
Run MP: 5
Jump MP: 0
Gyro: 3 tons
Internal Structure: 8.0 tons
Cockpit: 3 tons
Heat Sinks: 38 (38-20 = 18 tons)
(6 x2 = 12 without criticals)
Armor: 15 tons
H: 9 / 3
CT: 30 / 25
CTR: 19
R / LT: 24 / 17
R / LTR: 10
R / LA: 24 / 13
R / LL: 33 / 17
Weapons and Equipment:
Engine # 1 RT 6 criticals
Engine #2 LT 6 criticals
Power Couplings x3 CT 3 criticals
PPC RA 3 critical 7 tons
PPC LT 3 criticals 7 tons
PPC RT 3 criticals 7 tons
Large Laser CT 2 criticals 5 tons
Small Laser H 1 critical 0.5 tons
Heat Sink x2 RL 2 criticals
Heat Sink x2 LL 2 criticals
Heat Sink x3 CT 3 criticals
Heat Sink x3 RT 3 criticals
Heat Sink x3 LT 3 criticals
Heat Sink x 6 RA 6 criticals
Heat Sink x 7 LA 6 criticals
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/21/03 05:04 PM

PROBLEM:

your 'Mech tonnage doesn't add up.

Engines+PCs - 14 tons
I.S. - 8 tons
Cockpit - 3 tons
Heat Sinks - 18 tons
Armor - 15 tons
3 PPCs - 21 tons
L Laser - 5 tons
S Laser - .5 ton

Total - 84.5 tons

It just don't work that way.

Too bad you can't fit a fourth PPC on there. A 4-4-3 pattern would be so sweet.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/21/03 10:43 PM

oops my bad:
heres how to fix it, -4 heat sinks (arm mounted 2 per arm) and - small laser.
I think I was looking at the wrong engine rating tonnage before for the awesome, I was making the mech by this is the ammount i will save, not the most accurate way possible, in retrospect at least...
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Vicen_Korel
11/26/03 02:59 PM

be good for inner sphere, maybe make the engines take one less critial each? at best your mech will eat up 11 crits for the engine, for the possibility of less power or going dead being raised because the engines are more likely to be hit. how much would this engine cost? i'm guessing a bit more than it's individual parts. i feel the power cut for losing a PC is a little sever, but over all i like the idea.
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6503

Contact Admins Sarna.net