The Flaming Famingo FAM-GO-1

Pages: 1
tgsofgc
11/29/03 03:56 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok to preface this, this mech was made as a tournament (read as: munchkin) mech that utilized the same variable range capabilities as Bob's notorious Tigerhawk. While it started like this it grew and changed while I was comparing ranges, and ended up a threat at long ranges and nearly un stoppable at short ranges (much like how the King Crab supposedly works). Unfortunately the mech went through a number of variants to try to optimize its criticals/armor while maintaining this weapons load, the first version even used level 3 composite structure. eventually I decided to post it and make a write up as a level 2 design with slightly less armor (15 tons as apposed to the nigh standard 19). Please remember what fiendish dreams birthed this monster, namely munchkin is more of a compliment due to the design goals. [ed. note: please note I make no claims to contest for the ultimate munch mech, a title wtill held by Nightward with his RL/10 beast...]

Also of note the name will be one of the possibilities in my Random Generic 'Mech Name Generator, a system that uses D6 rolls to generate equally uninspired mech names.

Exported Stats from Drawing Board:
Code:
 FAM-GO-1 Flaming Famingo

Chassis: Unknown
Power Plant: Unknown 300
Cruising Speed: 32.25
Maximum Speed: 53.75
Jump Jets: none
Jump Capacity: none
Armor: Unknown with CASE
Armament:
2 Gauss Rifles
6 Medium Lasers
8 Small Lasers
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

FAM-GO-1 Flaming Famingo

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 2
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 10
Engine: 300 19
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 14(28) - Double 4
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 224 14

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 35
Center Torso(rear) 12
R/L Torso 21 30
R/L Torso(rear) 10
R/L Arm 17 26
R/L Leg 21 18

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Medium Laser LA 1 1
Medium Laser LA 1 1
Medium Laser LA 1 1
Small Laser LA 1 0.5
Small Laser LA 1 0.5
Small Laser LA 1 0.5
Small Laser LA 1 0.5
Gauss Rifle LT 7 15
Gauss Rifle Ammo LT 3 3
CASE LT 1 0.5
Gauss Rifle RT 7 15
Gauss Rifle Ammo RT 3 3
CASE RT 1 0.5
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Small Laser RA 1 0.5
Small Laser RA 1 0.5
Small Laser RA 1 0.5
Small Laser RA 1 0.5

Lore:
In 3069 amid the growing tumult of the civil war and the growing threats to the newly formed Lyran Alliance the engineers began a long planned project to review the popular, though flawed, Thunderhawk assault mech. The mech which mounted 3 large gauss rifles proved more than capable as a ranged unit or used in a fire support role, unfortunately however Davion intelligence allowed for an easy solution to the Thunderhawk (once assumed impossible). The solution dubbed "Chisseling" by battlefield commanders involved using somewhat vulnerable extremely fast mechs to flank and harass Thunderhawks while utilizing jump manuevers to pull back. The final blow would then be dealt by notorious sandpaper mechs such as Stalkers. These large mechs were able (usually..) to withstand the Thunderhawks massive firepower long enough to discharge one or two barrages that most often scattered through the the punctured armor causing the expensive Gauss Rifles to explode finishing off the shell of a Thunderhawk that remained.
To solve this to key problems with the mech were targeted, its lack of close range fire support, and its lack of protection from its own weapons. Most the early prototypes dubbed Thunderhawk II while quite feasiable for refit kits proved wholely unattractive to commanders. Generally these replaced at least one of the Gauss Rifles with a Large calibur Autocannon to discourage closing with the mech. This normally left the mech a poor jack of all trades unable to act as a powerful fire support unit (as it could before) but also lacking sufficient short range fire power to prove a viable front line combat unit. Also these early "variants" exposed another error of design, namely the use of bulky modern equipment which proved to be the reason why "sandpapering" proved so effective.
To solve this seemingly large nmber of problems an entirely new design was comissioned featuring totally redesigned chasis carrying a standard 300 engine. This was initially one of two measures used to reduce the fatality rate of Gauss Rifle explosions, the other being a sophisticated CASE like explosion channle surrounding the fragile guns. This move proved to so drastically increase the tonnage of the mech's engine that it necessitated the remooval of some of the armor, which was slated to mount an impressive 19 tons. This trade while shown to be incrediablly effective in computer simulations has caused some apprehension among units considering the new mech. The largest change however remained in the arms, where actuators were removed to mount huge arrays of small calibur lasers. This has proved to be devestating to nearly all mechs when used appropriately, though there have been isolated field reports of the enormous power drain causing the engine to spontaneously shut down. Also the lack of arm actuators gives the Flamingo the ability to flip its large "laser turrets" to fire behind it, a truelly fear inspiring concept to any light mechs foolhearty enough to attempt to flank it.
The unlikely name was supposedly derived from the Flamingo's thinly armored legs which give it the appearance of a tank balanced on stilts [ed. note: this was dubbed a tactical design decision because the "Flamingo" was meant to be deployed primarily in defensive and fire support roles, where it would be able to prepare its position and take full advantage of any natural cover], though the design team feels that name was simply the result of "Sicily" Steiner's (the primary financial backer)somewhat "robust" personality. It is unknown when the "Flaming" was added to the mech' name though the suspected prank has yet to be changed due to the fact that it helps to reinforce the idea of the mech as a war machine as appose to some extinct pink terran bird...
Battlefield Analysis:
[modesty excluded]
Average Damage with a Gunnery of 4 (as from Drawing Board), by hex distance:
1: 76 (overheat by movement, 1 or 2)
2: 72 (overheat by movement, 1 or 2)
3: 66 (overheat by movement, 1 or 2)
4-6: 52
7: 40
8-9: 34
10-15: 22
16-22: 12

Oh forgot to mention, BV is through the roof, but on the bright side with out most that fancy smancy tech it is much cheaper.
BV: 2,091
Cost: 10,108,000 cbills
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
CrayModerator
11/29/03 05:22 PM

Dude, those 8 small lasers are a waste of tonnage. You'll do better with medium lasers at all ranges except 1; you can't use the SLs beyond a piddly 3 hexes, and they're no good beyond 1 hex. I strongly recommend trading them for MLs, and maybe another DHS.

9 MLs and an extra DHS will be more effective. You won't be carrying around 4 tons of weapons that are useless at any range except 1-3 hexes.

But the core of concept of twin GRs+many light lasers is good.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
11/29/03 09:25 PM

LOL. Do you play Tekken? “Bob” and “Flaming Flamingo”. The irony is delicious…
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
tgsofgc
12/01/03 05:09 PM

Its sad to admit but no, what kind of humor did I stumble onto....?
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
12/01/03 05:16 PM

Yeah I made it late at night, or at least that is my excuse...
Something about logic and nighttime don't mix. So here is a "better" Flamingo:
Code:
FAM-GO-2 Flaming Flamingo

Chassis: Unknown
Power Plant: Unknown 300
Cruising Speed: 32.25
Maximum Speed: 53.75
Jump Jets: none
Jump Capacity: none
Armor: Unknown with CASE
Armament:
2 Gauss Rifles
8 Medium Lasers
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

FAM-GO-2 Flaming Flamingo

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 2
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 10
Engine: 300 19
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 14(28) - Double 4
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 256 16

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 40
Center Torso(rear) 15
R/L Torso 21 32
R/L Torso(rear) 10
R/L Arm 17 34
R/L Leg 21 20

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Medium Laser LA 1 1
Medium Laser LA 1 1
Medium Laser LA 1 1
Medium Laser LA 1 1
Gauss Rifle LT 7 15
Gauss Rifle Ammo LT 3 3
CASE LT 1 0.5
Gauss Rifle RT 7 15
Gauss Rifle Ammo RT 3 3
CASE RT 1 0.5
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Medium Laser RA 1 1

I ripped out the small lasers as suggested, added 2 medium lasers, and put back 2 tons of the armor. Now it is entirely cool running but has slightly less damage potential at extremely short ranges. Didn't bother adding more heat sinks cause:
1. I like symettry.
2. I felt guilt enough about the armor as is.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
12/02/03 12:40 AM

One fighter in the series is a Korean Tae Kwon Do fighter called Hwoarang. This is too difficult for anyone to pronounce, so most Tekken afficioanados call him “Bob”. One of “Bob”’s fighting stances is the Flaming Flamingo.

Forgive me.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 207 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5083

Contact Admins Sarna.net