Pinprick Laser System (PLS)

Pages: 1
Greyslayer
05/26/04 05:16 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The Pinprick Laser System was a result of the original research conducted into the Omni-Medium Laser (the Omni-Medium was a slightly heavier but very crit intensive medium laser that used a series of calibrating crystals to focus the beams so that the pilot could switch it to fire longer-ranged attacks for less damage or shorter-ranged attacks for more damage). This system was developed from the feedback from pilots that enjoyed the increased range of the Omni-system when light units needed to snipe larger units.

The PLS was further adapted using the improved technology gathered from researching clan ER weaponry.

Pinprick Laser System:
Weight: 2.5 tons
Criticals: 2
Damage: 3
Heat: 6
Ranges: Short 3-8 Medium 9-15 Long 16-21

The reason for the minimum range is that the weapon may not always focus within the first 60 meters, this could've been removed from the resulting weapon but the gained short, medium and long ranges were far too good to give up.
Nightward
05/26/04 05:59 AM

As soon as I saw those ranges, my left eyelid started twitching. I prepared to yell "TWINK!" but then saw the damage. And the heat.

Even Plinkers would think twice before using it, but personally, I'd rather drop another 1.5 tons on and use an ER Large Laser.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
05/26/04 06:02 AM

This is a IS weapon.... I thought the mention of the technology gathered from looking at Clan ERs would've been a big enough clue .
Nightward
05/26/04 07:11 PM

Meh. Home-brew weaponry doesn't do much for me.

I'd still pick even an IS ER Large over this, though I suppose it might have potential if it was slaved together to make some sort of uber point-defence, laser-based anti-missile system.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CrayModerator
05/26/04 07:43 PM

What the AC/2 should've been. It seems to compare well with the LRM 5, so it looks balanced enough to me.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
05/27/04 01:44 AM

Probably far too many negatives for me in the end. Probably make this the prototype and have a further refinement being that heat was reduced to 5 and/or long range improved to 22 just so it doesn't look so damn close to the LRM 5 (note to self: don't design a weapon that fills a similar role as the one you spent a whole afternoon giving a 'lecture' on )
Lone_Wolf_Radick
06/22/04 06:10 PM

Sounds a bit like the Starfire laser I was toying with or (god help me) even the Bombast Laser from Mechwarrior4, only with focusing crystals. Seems like a non ammo dependent AC2, which would automatically attract some Long Range Freako's with some Extra Riflemen or Jagermechs sitting around. BTW, Does it bother anyone else that there are no "Soft Target" weaponry, like Neutron Cannons, for eliminating only the pilot when Salvage is a priority? I suppose it is just a game afterall, but I'd figure that 1000 years from now Humanity would be well beyond Using Machineguns and Flamethrowers, and have autonomous Battlemechs to do routine jobs that would unnecessarily endanger the pilot... but no franchise can be perfect... I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment, I got flamed so bad on the Star Wars board for mentioning a few technology quirks in that universe that I could feel the heat so... *hesitating* Thoughts, opinions?
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5777

Contact Admins Sarna.net