Medium Alter Laser

Pages: 1
Vicen_Korel
06/20/04 11:40 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok this is going to be slightly rules heavy but try and stick with me. The idea is to design a laser system that can switch between 2 or 3 modes, primarily pulse and er but also including regular or some hybird if you want. I decided to try and take a stab at it with the medium laser first

Medium Altering Laser
Tons 2
Criticals 2
Damage 6/5
Heat 4
Range 1-2/3-4/5
range 1-4/5-7/8-11
In the Pulse mode it gets the -2 to hit, When switching modes roll 2d6 if the result is 1 the weapon's lenses don't line up properly and it doesn't work. Can be "unjammed" as per the auto cannon

Advanced Medium Altering laser
Tons 3
Criticals 2
Damage 6/5/4
Heat 4/3/4
Range 1-2/3-4/5
1-3/4-5/6-7
1-4/5-7/8-11
Pulse mode gets a -2 to hit. Jams on a 1 or 2 can be unjammed as above.

These are designed for the IS though if you want try and do a clan version please by all means have fun.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Rotten Vegtables?
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
CrayModerator
06/21/04 07:53 AM

Two comments:
1) I'm a fan of even range breaks because they're easier to remember; I wouldn't even mind extra range. A pulse range of 1-2/3-4/5-6 and a standard range of 1-4/5-8/9-12 is preferable to the current range breaks.
2) Ultra Autocannons jam on a natural to-hit roll of 2 (before modifiers). It isn't possible to roll a '1' (without modifiers) on 2d6. I'd recommend just saying your lasers jam on a natural '2' to simplify the rules a bit.

The lasers look fine otherwise.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Vicen_Korel
06/21/04 02:17 PM

ack, was suppose to be 2, and on the advanced 2,3. I used the reducing ranges to make the laser verisatile but not quite as good as the tech it came from so to give reason to still use the originals, the MAL gives options, but isn't quite as good, i was also thinking of reducing the pulse modes benefit to only -1
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
MrMagonigal
06/21/04 03:50 PM

Not a bad design. Dont know if I would ever use them as I always hated the short range of the Pulse Lasers. Only one I liked was the Clan Large Pulse Laser with it's range of 20 with the -2 to hit. Couple this with a Trageting computer and at max range you still have -3 to hit! I have a Clan retrofit Rifleman with 4 Clan Large Pulse Laser's a Targeting Computer and enough double Heat Sinks to shoot them all and boy does it eat thru Mech's fast. Especially when you put an Elite Gunner in there.
I am the Ultimate Professional Amatuer!
Good Luck, Good Hunting and Stay ALIVE!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4845

Contact Admins Sarna.net