GG Rifle

Pages: 1
Diablo
05/30/04 10:24 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The GG rifle system was designed to give mech pilots a true sniper weapon, giving them maximum damage while staying outside most return fire. Several problems were encountered during the design process, first was how to deliver the shell to the intended target while keeping the range? They decided to go with the a modified gyrojet type amunition. The rocket is first launched out of a guass type barrel and upon reaching a 90m distnace, the rocket moter kicks in and propells it to the target. The system also features a built in targeting computer system which specifically increaces accuricy out at long ranges.

GG Rifle (Gyro Gauss Rifle)
Dmge- 12
Heat- 4
Tons- 14
Crit- 5
Min- 3
Sht- 8
Med- 16
Lng- 24
Ext- 32
Ammo- 6

target modifiers
extreme: -1
long: -2
medium: -1
short: +1
min: +2
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Lone_Wolf_Radick
06/22/04 06:18 PM

Sounds good on paper, but you realize of course that the massive Magnetic field required to fire a rail cannon (or gauss rifle) would probably polarize and render the rocket motor useless, not to mention that a rail cannon does not fire an explosive shell, but rather a ferric solid slug at hypersonic speeds... You're basically taking the advantage away by adding weight and a rocket which would slow the shell to subsonic speeds, thereby reducing it's piercing potential, and causing impact to shatter on the outer layers of armor instead of getting inside to the juicy crits that gauss rifles are known for... That, I guess, is why too much reality is not a good thing for Sci-Fi enthusiasts... I suppose if you ignore the laws of physics, or use it in open vacuum (where there is no drag, possibly remove the solid fuel rocket for a mini jump engine or something), then it would truly be the "I can hit you before you can even see me" weapon that you're imagining... Don't take my post as negative critisizm... I see where your thought train was heading, and I'm simply offering advice so in case you decide to forge on with developement, you'll make the necessary adjustments in order to appease any pilot who decides to mount it...
Bansee
06/23/04 09:30 AM

If we realy want to get into "real world" (we are still talking abut 30 meter-tall robots that weigh up to 100 metric tons that can run at 54 kph and jump 90 meters aren't we?) a gauss rifle slug would travel much farther than 630 meters. The scale of the game is imerfect, but they did it on purpose so that we could argue the finner points of physics.
Lone_Wolf_Radick
06/23/04 10:50 AM

Actually, if you take into account the weight of the space shuttle and some heavy construction vehicles and what they can do today in 2004, then a 30 meter tall 100ton walking tank isn't as farfetched as it first sounds. I do agree with the range on the gauss slug however. Like I said, reality is fine and great, but it doesn't always mesh with the games and stories in the Sci-Fi universe, hence the Fiction part....
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5103

Contact Admins Sarna.net