John Deere Militiaman MLM-35

Pages: 1
Carthaginian
07/29/04 01:34 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This is my first 'Mech design to be posted here, and I kind of went out on a limb here with the design- it's an I.C.E.-powered Battlemech... specifically, it is a short-range urban/point defense design made for planets with big security issues and little bank accounts.

*I had to work the figures out longhand so there is room for error- if you find one please let me know and I'll change it.

-----------------------------------------------------
BattleMech Technical Readout

Type/Model: John Deere Militiaman MLM-35
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3025
Config: Biped BattleMech
Rules: Level ?, Custom design

Mass: 35 tons
Chassis: John Deere Light Duty
Power Plant: 140 John Deere I.C.E.
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor Type: Tredgar Standard
Armament:
1 Shannon Six-Shooter SRM-6
4 Blakeley Foundry Machine Guns
Manufacturer: John Deere Heavy Equipment
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

==Overview==
John Deere's first attempt to build a Battlemech draws much in thier Utility Mechs- including using a reliable 140 John Deere diesel/electric power system for it's powerplant.

Designed in responce to design perameters submitted to John Deere Heavy Equipment by the tech-poor and monitarily challenged Outworlds Alliance, the Militaman was designed to provide good close range firepower while generating a minimum of heat. Intended to be used to defend instalations within the inner areas of the Alliance where things are relatively peaceful, the Millitaman places little emphisis on long-range combat abilities; it's designers intended to have fixed defenses supporting the 'mech in this capacity. Also, being designed for point defense in low-priority areas, the Militaman is not well equipped to fight on the run. Unless it is fought carefully, it's few heat sinks have touble dealing with the buildup from it's missile systems.

Since it is lightly armed and armored for it's tonnage, the Militiaman is not intended to take on other Mechs without support, but it can be deadly agianst enemy infantry units and vehicles. If a Militiaman's pilot must engage another Battlemech- most likely one superior to his own- he is best advised to duck into terrain that limits line-of-sight. This will negate the Militiaman's lack of long-range weapons. Close quarters and the cover provided in such terrain will also maximize the chance of sneaking in and getting a short-range shot for the Machine Gun group on the left arm.

==Deployment==

This unit is yet to see combat, but in simulated combat, it proves to be reasonably effective for it's price.

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: John Deere Militiaman MLM-35
Mass: 35 tons

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.:152 pts Standard 0 3.50
Engine: 120 6 10.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 4 Single 4 (2 RT, 2 LT) 4.00
Gyro:42.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 5 3.00
Armor Factor: 80 pts. Standard 0 5.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 8
Center Torso: 31 8/4
L/R Side Torso: 21 10/4
L/R Arm: 17 8
L/R Leg: 21 10

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
4 Machine Guns LA 0 4 2.00
Ammo, Machine Gun LA 100 1 0.50
1 SRM-6 CT 6 2 3.00
Ammo, SRM-6 LT 15 1 1.00
Ammo, SRM-6 RT 15 1 1.00
No Left Hand
TOTALS: 8 24 35.00

Total Cost: C-Bills: 1,309,155

The four machine guns occupy the left hand position.
Greyslayer
07/29/04 02:47 AM

I think the unit should also have heatsinks for movement. In other words if you expect to fire the srm6 and move you would need at least 5 but probably 6 heatsinks on it, and I am not sure but I think heatsinks with ICE should have dedicated tonnage to poweramplifiers?
Nightward
07/29/04 02:50 AM

It's an interesting idea, but since the LCT-1V Locust retails for slightly more than 1.5 million C-Bills, it's not realy going to be able to compete on the 'Mech market.

The only things I can think of to reduce the costs is to install seperate SRM-2s in place of the SRM-6, and to remove the Arm Actuators. SRM-2s cost 10 thousand each, but an SRM-6 costs 80 grand. And since 'Mechs can operate with just Shoulder and Upper Arm actuators, the Lower Arm and Hand Actuators aren't that important- except for punching or carrying things, which a security design might have to do.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightward
07/29/04 02:53 AM

Nah. Power amplifiers are required for Energy weapons.

The heat sinks idea is important though, and something that I missed. Most 'Mechs come with 10 Heat Sinks base, so I saw the MG/SRM-6 loadout and just thought "Heat to spare..."
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Carthaginian
07/29/04 09:39 AM

Greyslayer, it was either make a mech that could fight, or make a mech that could move. I had to pick one or the other... not enough free weight to allow a run-and-gun design here.

Thaks for the imput, but this was an operation in comprimise!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nightward, thanks for the opinions!

I originally had 5 heat sinks, allowing it to walk cold at least, but I dropped one in favor of giving it a little more punch up close- enough that it could compete with the UM-R60 Urbanmech in a fair fight (if there is such a thing).

Replacing the single SRM-6 with 3xSRM-2's in impossable... it would generate as much heat and half again as the SRM-6 would. That would really make this little girl hot blooded!

In the end, I decided to go wth punch insted of speed, and to give the design a little quirk (the fact that it needs to cool down between missile firings) that would not be too much of a drawback to a design that was meant to fight under cover of friendly guns.
CrayModerator
07/29/04 08:50 PM

Heh, not bad for a light ICE mech. I'll give this a "well done."
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Carthaginian
07/29/04 09:02 PM

*looks at Cray's poost count*
*looks at all the stars below Cray's handle*

*tries hard not to let a little complement go to his head*

Thanks, man. I just wanted to try something a little different. Any suggestions on how to make the next one better would be greatly appreciated.

PS... Very nice Sig. Feld Marshel Rommel was a good troop, and a wise one.

Edited by Carney (07/29/04 10:04 PM)
CrayModerator
07/30/04 06:03 AM

Quote:

*looks at Cray's poost count*

That may just mean I spend a lot of time spewing garbage on the boards.

Quote:

Thanks, man. I just wanted to try something a little different. Any suggestions on how to make the next one better would be greatly appreciated.

There's not a lot you can do with ICE mechs. You've pretty much maxed out this 35-ton chassis with good speed (for ICE), put on some low-heat, anti-mech firepower (good, considering ICE's lack of heat sinks), and some supplementary anti-infantry firepower. Figuring typical usage would be against backwater planet rebels or the like, that's a good weapons array.

If you think the pilot would be willing to live dangerously, trade a heat sink for another ton of armor. But that's not necessarily an improvement.

A variant might be to trade the SRM 6 and a ton of ammo for 2 LRM 5s, or 1 LRM 5 and more armor.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (07/30/04 06:05 AM)
Greyslayer
07/30/04 06:34 AM

for a 'crowd control' mech armour is not as highly rated as for a true battlemech.

Moderate armour would probably be the maximum necessary for the job.
CrayModerator
07/30/04 11:07 AM

Quote:

for a 'crowd control' mech armour is not as highly rated as for a true battlemech.

Moderate armour would probably be the maximum necessary for the job.

Granted, but then sometimes you run into better-armed "crowds," like an organized group with SRM infantry. Common backwater planet vehicles - like the Scorpion - actually endanger the Militiaman. (On the other hand, a ton armor wouldn't necessarily help all that much.)

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8606

Contact Admins Sarna.net