What's Your Favorite 'Oh Dear God' moment?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
coldwave
01/20/06 08:30 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Now that is a good story! Thanks for posting it!

- coldwave
wonko
04/01/06 02:07 PM

over-all i like NileIngrams story also, but i think i have you all beat...it happened like this.

my company comander 0/0 piloting his atlas is standing on a salt flat, minding his own business, picking off the little mediums and lights with his lrm's...(this was 20 years ago with original rules)

his armor is untouched at this point, now my FRIEND who just got the shiny new areotech book decides he's going to strafe me with a 100t aero-fighter.

so far you're thinking "it's a strafing run...big deal, a unscathed atlas can take it right"

well this is where it gets kinda bad.....

as he's strafing i get to fire at him, so of course i do.......oops

i bet you can tell where this is going right?

so i hit with everything, and blow off both his wings, he misses with all his fire, but what happens next you ask?

well a 100ton charge moving at aerospace velocity would be the answer...

of course he hits.....now at this point i was tempted to just write off the pilot, but being the sadistic bas@##d that i am i made him roll damage.....

when all was said and done, i had a total of one internal left on the head, the cocpit, one engine crit and one internal in the center torso.......picture a roll-cage tumbling across the salt flats and you'll get the idea.....when it was all over i looked around and everyone's jaws were on the table....one of the guys said it best.....oh my f%#king god.....you survived
Democrats are the root of all evil
coldwave
04/01/06 07:30 PM

ROFLMAO!!! That's awesome!
wonko
04/03/06 12:39 PM

well if not AWSOME, at least a good story for the next 20+ years....lol
Democrats are the root of all evil
Tobias_Moon
06/03/06 02:44 PM

(still chuckles evilly to himself..years after wonko 'survived')...

and I STILL say you were A LUCKY Bastadge ya bum!!

(cya tonight, maybe I can kill another one of your characters)

{ }
"Something moves within the night that is not good and is not right" (book of counted sorrows, Dean Koontz)
{Tobias Moon is AKA Michael Scirocco for some of you older timers}
Thomas
06/15/06 09:36 AM

I remember being at a tournament at a convention and we all had a "choose your own" tourney. So within the BV range I decided to use 10 piranhas. LOL people still gang up on me in tournaments because of it!

I also remember playing one time with a few guys in Alpena...you know who you are...Where the phrase "Head, dead, bye" came to be. I am thinking the sentence before it was "15 head choppin points to..."

I often wonder how Bob is doin...
You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot further with a smile and a Battlemech!
adamwehn
06/30/06 02:23 PM

My greatest moment was when I was introducing a friend to Battletech, and his first combat weapon firing was a Gauss Rifle. He rolled it right to the head of the mech I was piloting. Don't bother rolling anything else there norm, you just fried my cockpit.
Fang
09/06/06 05:47 PM

old thread, I know. My wife once wanted me to teach her to play BattleTech, as I spent a lot fo time at friends playing,a nd she wanted to see waht the hub bub was about. so I bought her Battlemaster MIni, let her paintit her self, and played against her with my tried and true Lucky (CDR-3R, I believe the crusader designation is).My mech "Lucky" and pilot have been very successful in the past for me. Three matches, three head shots from a PPC, three cockpit crits. I tried again next weekend. Three matches, three head shots from a ppc, three cockpit crits. She started to paint little lines on the back of her mini like notches on a pistol grip to mark kills, and painted Head Hunter on the back as well. We don't play anymore. Still married though.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Sharkomodo
09/08/06 11:17 AM

What a neat thread!

Ok, oh god moment in my favor: I played a unit of the worst 12 mechs I could find, and I called it The Flying Circus. Being a hater of all things clan since the dumbest players I know can win with clan mechs, I cheerfully agreed to take on a clanner one saturday for fun. Turn 2, Oscar Meister's bologna painted Jagermech fores its 2 ac/2's a a vulture 23 hexes out. Hit, snakes eyes, 10 for crits, both striking gyro. Dead vulture, 2 total points of damage done. Things got worse from there for the clan guy.

Now, oh god breakin g against me: GenCon tournmanet 1996. I am leading the field after the 3025 and 3050 rounds, by a record margin. The refs are even telling me at lunch they should buff the trophy up for me. Then comes the clan round. I go to engage my dasher's MASC and roll snake eyes. Then the Masakaru does the same. After 1 round of shooting, I concede. From 1st to 22nd place in two dice rolls. That sucked more than I know how to say....

On a side note, we once had 14 players play a abattle from tukayyid involving a binary of jade falcons and a battalion of com guads over the course of 2 days. That was a hell of a lot of fun. Comstar won, because, well, Flashmen are the greatest inner sphere type mech ever, except maybe a falconer....
Well, Jayne, my days of not taken you seriously are comin' to a middle.
Calbeck
06/04/07 06:23 PM

Back in the olden days, when explosion rules were a bit different...

A friend had designed a "guerilla tank". The Mitsubishi 1000 was a 10-ton minitank designed for quick airdrops to forces behind enemy lines, on the philosophy that "some tank is better than no tank at all". Packed in a single crate, it could be put together with a socket wrench and standard screwdriver. Seating was composed of basic sling-nets. Its internal-combustion engine could be mounted or removed with a standard garage winch or even an array of ropes slung from a sturdy tree, and it could run on just about any liquid that would burn.

With a single MG, enough power to move at 4-6, and a few tons of bolt-on ablative armor, it was small enough to hide just about anywhere.

Including industrial buildings, whose freight elevators could be used to install hidden tanks on multiple floors.

When a Phoenix Hawk ran afoul of an entire BATTALION of these little suckers firing at point-blank range through the windows of a corporate headquarters, its pilot lost control and stumbled directly into the building, smashing at least one Mitsubishi.

The resulting MG ammo explosion chain-reacted with every other tank in the building, completely leveling the area and reducing the Hawk to less than scrap.

Naturally, the tank player lost the game by mass attrition. -:D

Edited by Calbeck (06/04/07 06:24 PM)
CharlesShoults
06/11/07 06:53 PM

I once ran a campaign during which a Wolverine went toe-to-toe with a Berzerker (Triple Strength Myomer). Wolverine had previously taken no damage. Berzerker walked up, previously having taken weapons fire from multiple enemies, did a physical attack with it's hatchet at the Wolverine and struck the head. Enough damage was done to the Wolverine that it continued on through the central torso and finished it off with points left over to subtract. So, essentially, with a single hit, the Berzerker cleaved the Wolverine in half.
Tripod
06/18/07 12:05 PM

hmm...

That would have to be...

"PULL!... BOOM!"

2 friends and i were enjoying the new 3D terain rules in the old compendium soon after we purchased it. we had an assortment of books, VHS cassets, ash trays and anything else we could find that looked about 1-2 levels high. after setting up our battleground on the livingroom floor, we decided on an IS vs Clan battle. one guy had a the Loki with the gauss rifle, i took a trantula and i believe my team mate had a marauder of some sort. After the marauder had legged the loki at long range destroying one leg the loki fell and the trantula rushed in to finish him off with a mighty DFA only i was way too far away. i moved in to 8 inches away and ended my turn. the folowing turn the loki managed to stand and lean back against a fortress city wall, a VHS casset turned on edge ( : and called "Pull!" to launch his clay pidgeon into the sky! the gauss slug landed squarely on the center torso(critical) destroying all remaining armor, and all internal structure on the trantula witch resulted in a casastrophic engine explosion in mid flight of the DFA execution. the DFA missed and what was left of the trantula(mostly bits of legs) bounced harmlessly off the loki.

I can't remember if we finished the game we laughed so hard and so long...
TBA
johnstark
09/28/07 11:46 AM

Hokay, I have two.

Most Amusing CBT Moment: Im GMing a merc game for folks. Merc unit consists of: Bushwhacker, Shadow Hawk, Rifleman, Locust. I figure they've been having some fun playing with Scorpion tanks and APCs - time to throw a real threat at them.

Enemy 'mech lance: Commando, Assassin, Hunchback aaaaand, just to put the fear of God into them: A Battlemaster. All oldtech.

It's a little rough on them, I'll admit, but they were kind of cocking and talking a lot of smack. So I let them have something big and munchy. I figured I'd play it dumb, let them isolate the cocky BLR pilot while his teammates tried to plink. BLR pilot rushes out ahead of formation and starts blazing away at loose BTHs just to show off his weapons. Suddenly my players' dice luck dries up and I start to feel like an ass for putting the BLR out there. The BSW and SHD cut one way, while the RFL cuts the other way... right into the path of the HBK. The BLR ignores the RFL and turns around to deal with the two strikemechs flanking him... exposing his back to the LCT-1V Locust. I figured, sure... let the LCT have a backshot. ML at short range? Miss. MG at long range? Miss. MG at long range? Hit. Location? Snake Eyes. One critical hit... I'm looking up the rolled location on the table, figuring I just got my BLR gyroed when the LCT pilot (the only experienced player there) noted that he was one hex off of the rear arc and was technically in the left arc. I moved my check over to the left torso... "Ammo (MG)" 400 points of damage later, there wasn't even salvage left. One MG round from a Locust just snuffed an 85 ton assault mech from existence. My sympathy for their plight ended. The HBK murdered the RFL. They managed to compel the double-legged Assassin pilot to surrender his 'mech (arguably) salvageable and keep a whole lance going.

Most amusing MW:RPG moment. I will remember this one forever.

Because my players wanted to do something else with their vehicle points than buy 'mechs, I let one buy a tank but he'd accumulated nearly 14 vehicle points and the tank only took 6. He spent the remaining 8 on a single platoon of infantry. They were elite, covert ops, multi-environment, combat engineers. These guys were like McGuyver after he spent two decades training under ninjas. They'd drop ahead of the main unit in the wilderness with slurry, cement mixers, and parts in a Fury(LALO insertion) or dropshuttle. Within two days they'd have built a landing pad for the remaining dropships and secured the area, etc, etc. They were 8 vehicle points worth of infantry, whatdya want?

The unit CO didn't want to spend his 7 remaining points on infantry, or mechs or tanks. He thought about buying corporate bodyguards but then changed his mind. "I would like to spend my 7 points on a lawyer," he says to me. He could've had a newtech heavy or an oldtech assault. He just wanted a lawyer. a DAMN good lawyer. The kind of lawyer you don't call on the phone, you sacrifice virgins and he appears in a gout of flame. So I made the mother of all laywers for the unit thinking, "Meh, they'll make more money on contracts 'cause they'll have the world's most powerful negotiator, that's fine."

Campaign goes on for an RL year, advances from 3048 to 3052, clan invasion is on, jobs are getting rough, their oldtech units just aren't cutting it on the battlefield anymore. House Steiner hires them for an Objective Raid against moon-based communications and HPG on a world held by Clan Jade Falcon. Base defenses include a second-line trinary of light to medium 'mechs piloted by 2nd line freeborn garrison warriors. A rough target for a single company of medium-to-heavy IS 'mechs but definitely 'takeable.' That's when the unit CO gets this wicked gleam in his eyes. "Hey Will," he says quietly, "How much does it cost to rent a tugboat dropship?" I look it up and give him a figure, it's about a tenth the payroll of the unit, and about a sixtieth of the pay they could expect from the contract. "Okay, we hire one and take the contract." They negotiate a four month mission duration, and then take a second, simultaneous contract. I get confused but figure I'll let them hang themselves.

First contract goes like this: They jump in at a pirate point beyond the system's asteroid belt. WAY off the beaten path, they figure the clans won't challenge them in deep space but will wait until they approach the planet. They are correct, CJF has no warship presence and isn't going to send aerospace assets that far away in case it's a trick. Tugboat goes out to asteroid belt and hooks into a very small 'roid, less than 300 tons. A little math later and they've plotted the course and accelerate it at 2gs for a period of a week. Final speed: Just over twelve million kilometers per second. A series of astonavigation rolls later and it's confirmed, the asteroid - which would have burned up in the planet's atmosphere - strikes the moon. It doesn't matter that it's WAY off target, the impact has a force measured in Gigatons of TNT. My PCs, mostly aerospace engineers, do all the calculations for me. The impact causes Richter 12+ quakes and tectonic stresses all over the moon effectively destroying any structures except on the very far side where the shocks are in the richter 6-8 range and structures are damaged but not destroyed. Mission accomplished in approximately three weeks. they move on to the second contract after having the tug make a high-speed pass of the moon and photograph the exact moment of impact. (the impact was visible from the planet surface.)

I then ask them to re-check their calculations and ensure that they didn't just knock the moon from orbit. We conclude that, in fact, they did not even come close to doing so - but they may have altered it's orbit by an inch or two.

After my mind stops reeling, I realize what I have to do. As soon as they return from the second contract MRBC freezes their assets and they're brought up on violations of the Ares Conventions prohibition against Weapons of Mass Destruction. There's no hesitation, the unit CO looks me squarely in the eye and says to me, "Will? I call my lawyer." He could've had an Atlas. Instead he got himself a lawyer. A lawyer good enough to have the unit acquitted of violating the Ares Conventions on the grounds that it did not once mention asteroids and nothing about the asteroid impact left radiation, threatened civilian population, etc. In fact, part of the legal argument hinged on a theory that Clan Society doesn't even HAVE civilians since every lower caste works to support the Warrior Caste. We didn't even roleplay the trial, I just couldn't have done an assault-class lawyer any justice.

It gets worse...

After the debacle is over, the leaders of the Successor States - at the behest of ComStar - amend the Ares Conventions to close the loophole and I make it perfectly clear to my players that this little stunt, while hilarious and creative, will never work again. They'd done such a nice job of setting it up and humored me on the math and we all had a grand old time so I let it fly.

But then they had a new idea. Remember the photograph of impact they took? I didn't. They did. Before their next contract they sat down with a representative for a publishing company that did a lot of work around the Solaris games (a contact they'd established on a previous mission). They had the photograph made into a poster with the caption: "And with what force do you defend THIS planet?!" (A play on wording of a standard batchall.)

Once again I was forced to conceed that such a poster would be VERY popular with the people of the Inner sphere, especially right after the victory at Tukkayid. At least this Merc unit was owned and operated by a pair of Steiners so their mercantile zeal and the fact that much of their spending money came from side-ventures like the poster deal made some amount of sense.

From the moment of accelerating the asteroid, to the deployment of the lawyer, to the issuing of a POSTER FLAUNTING THAT THEYD DEFECATED ON THE ARES CONVENTIONS AND GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT I kept repeating to myself: Oh. My. God.
Bokken
11/08/07 11:31 AM

My moment wasnt the greatest for me at all.

Were going into a major fight and i was in My Daishi prime model it was in Pristine Condition just had gotton it after lots and lots of work. In the First round firing Phase the enemy took a shot at me me with a Gauss rifle and need a 12 to hit. He hit it hit my head lbowing out the cockpit and killing my pilot. So needless to say i had to sit for several hours in sheer frustration while the battle went on and i had to reroll my character.

Not the coolest moment you will hear but one that pissed me off.
Hellbringer
11/13/07 10:32 AM

I landed my custom built quad 'mech in the hex next to a Thor packing an Ultra AC-10. I was trusting his movement plus my jumping to throw off his aim. I hit him with three medium-pulse lasers and he just raises his arm and returns fire, both AC-10 rounds hit me...and decapitate my 'mech. It was just shocking.
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/12/08 04:23 PM

I remember the dumbest thing I did. I forgot that if you lost all of your armor in one place it will flood if your in water. I jumped into a lake with no head armor.

STOP LAUGHING!!!
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 25892

Contact Admins Sarna.net