Civilian/Industrial Parts Ideas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ghostrider
12/29/22 08:46 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The fluff gives me a partial idea.
Maybe the unit has to remain stationary to focus properly, otherwise the focusing lens has issues remaining intact or possibly mounting mechanism gets hit by the beam, causing issues...
With this, maybe the unit has to flucuate, in order to actually mine without over heating the area, or causing long delays as it is not hot enough. Kind of working with different materials around it, might heat/melt fast/slow.

The fluff itself is pretty decent. Does the job of explaining the unit, while not being overly speculative on how it performs in combat.

Yeah, more complicated then it needs to be. The extra material added, not the fluff.

Edited by ghostrider (12/29/22 08:46 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
12/29/22 09:55 PM

So, not only does it need to be playtested for balance, but also to make sure it isn't super complicated... Good thinking.

I still need to figure out rules and specifications for the other components on here before I go around adding more.

Could you pick a previously mentioned item, and help me flesh it out?
ghostrider
12/29/22 10:39 PM

Well, the industiral jump jets would have to be more precise then mech jets. Small moves would be needed to deal with things like moving from one set of bolts to another, or welding. This would be easier in low-g environments. Maybe have several 'packages', so one is large movements, then go to others for finer movements. I would also suggest having some larger jets for things like moving supplies, such as girders and such, that would normally stop a normal unit from being overweight for the jump.

The vibro drill might well need to come in size ranges. Large mechs could use larger drills, which sounds obvious, but something that can be overlooked. Might be great for digging normal dirt like drilling wells and such. The actual drill isn't the huge vibration device, but small cutting tool. Or you could do the large shaker type. Up to you. Maybe allow the drill to cut metal structures with a fine edge. Maybe used for fixing power/water lines without having to tear up a large chunk of land to do so. Maybe even used for cutting parts of a building to repair damage, whether from weapons fire, or natural events.
Maybe use it to help customize items, such as a new bracket comes out, and it doesn't fit in the old ones spot. Might even suggest allowing faster armor replacement, as you can fine cut ruined armor plates on everything including mechs, buildings and such.
The Arc drill could use some of the above, or do you need some other ideas here?

The industrial laser could well have the same issues as the mining laser with needing to be solid mounted, and of course possible weld on top of the rest. Variable adjustments to the power, so you could use it as a leveler, to make sure a building isn't bulging out, or the wall is straight for kilometers.
AmaroqStarwind
12/29/22 10:58 PM

I'm actually wondering if Arc Drills and VibroDrills should be kept separate altogether. I'm also not even sure what 2018-me meant by Arc Drill: Curse my lack of note-taking back then.
ghostrider
12/30/22 12:49 AM

Keep them separate if you want.

An Arc drill might well be used to cut holes into metal surfaces, for things like running conduit, water/gas pipes, wires, ammo feeds and other such things. It may well be a drill that uses plasma to cut instead of a blade. Granted, the name should be plasma drill instead in that case. Maybe it was to cut glass and such. Then again, it could well be something like A.R.C. much like brb is used. Argon Reconstruction Cutter? Used in void manufacturing, as to not need oxygen?
But yeah. Writing down some of this might help in the future.
AmaroqStarwind
12/30/22 02:36 AM

Yeah, definitely should rename it to plasma drill to help avoid confusion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_deep_drilling_technology

Also, one of my friends cooked this up:
Quote:
It's basically a handheld EDM machine, more or less: zap a metal with an electrode and a small part evaporates
Repeat enough times and you got yourself a hole.
It's more controlled and more precise than a conventional drill, and for many materials it's almost the only way to machine them because of how ridiculously hard they are
Or instead of putting an EDM system on a robot, you make a handheld version that makes it still much easier to drill accurate holes through, say, titanium - which really hates drill bits and breaks them at every chance you give it, but can't do **** to a copper discharge electrode.

Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (12/30/22 11:18 AM)
AmaroqStarwind
12/31/22 03:19 PM

The "Civilian Electronic Defense Suite" is basically just a heavily downgraded Watchdog CEWS system (heavier and bulkier), only able to operate in a strictly defensive mode against other forms of electronic warfare. Some security mechs might be allowed to carry it, should both the operator and owner (assuming they are separate persons) possess the necessary license.

I'll have to write some fluff for it.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
AmaroqStarwind
01/05/23 12:07 PM

Good news! I found a BattleTech Discord server, so I might get some playtesting soon.
Karagin
01/05/23 12:46 PM

Quote:
Good news! I found a BattleTech Discord server, so I might get some playtesting soon.

Depending on which one, it may work for you. Some are better than others.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 15703

Contact Admins Sarna.net