and favorite of favorites:
Nova

please only include standard mechs
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
CrayModerator
10/15/03 12:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Battlemaster. None of the stock models really suit me, but it's got style.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (10/15/03 03:03 PM)
tgsofgc
10/15/03 01:58 PM

Mine Are,
Inner Sphere:
Thug
Beserker
Awesome (8Q or 9Q)
Cerebus
Orion
Zeus
Clan:
Warhammer IIC
Orion IIC
Arctic Wolf
Blood Kite
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
10/15/03 05:00 PM

For the Inner Sphere? The Shadow Hawk and the Wolverine. So much versatity...

For the Clans? The Timber Wolf. Nothing else even comes close...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Grizzly
10/15/03 05:24 PM

3025 era Grasshopper, 3055 era Awesome 9Q (IIRC) w/4 PPC, Scarabus, and Enforcer (all variants).
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
widowmaker
10/16/03 12:20 AM

Inner Sphere:
3025 WHM-6R Warhammer
3055 GUN-1ERD Gunslinger

Clan:
Dire Wolf Widowmaker
Warhawk C

and my absolute favorite:
1 lance SRM carriers (3025)

Why? They're cheap, they're powerful, and if they start the game hidden in a city hex, someone's going to get a nasty point blank surprise. Imagine 40 SRM-6's letting go at the same time, during the movement phase, at a range of 1 hex, with no movement or terrain modifiers.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Xeus
10/18/03 04:07 PM

Zeus
Dreams are all I have.
LordChaos
10/21/03 12:00 AM

Stinger LAM
Awsome 8Q
Zeus-6T (the PPC varient).
Panther.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
widowmaker
10/21/03 02:46 AM

I was wondering if anyone would throw in a LAM. Talk about the ultimate unseen 'Mech.

That being said, I kinda miss 'em. Guardian mode rocked!
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
widowmaker
10/21/03 02:51 AM

Whoops! Slipped up there. Guardian mode is for the Veritech (i.e. ROBOTECH). The Battletech name for that mode was... er... hang on a sec...

Air-Mech mode. Had to dig out the old Aerotech box set.

So, in revision, Air-Mech mode rocked!
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
10/21/03 02:53 AM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dont say the "R" word!
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
LordChaos
10/21/03 04:48 PM

I had a lance of them.. and 2 Wasp LAMs and 2 Phawk LAMs.....

but I liked the Stinger model best.

(still kicking himself for giving away his collection years ago)
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Adous
11/12/03 04:02 PM

Scorpion
Awesome
Catapult
King Crab

that's my lance.

add the Flea if a fifth is needed.
Scorpion, lurks low in dark trentes of the city. Now add Jump Jets, and a deadly blow it has.
tgsofgc
11/12/03 06:58 PM

ewwww.. a scorpion, silly four legged thing
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/12/03 10:18 PM

Underestimate it at your own risk. It goes 6/9, is a Quad, and has a PPC and SRM-6. Fluff-wise, it may blow. But in the field...

That being said, for 50 tons, I always pick the Centurion. AH model all the way...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
tgsofgc
11/12/03 10:33 PM

Yada yada yada... (i actually know its not bad, especially in 3025) but i like Wolverine better.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Grizzly
11/13/03 01:17 AM

hmmm.... Wolverine, especially the Marik variant, is good. The Scorpion may be much maligned, but I find it to be a decent mech, especially the updated version that has double heat sinks... Centurion, Trebuchet, Dervish, Starslayer, Lynx and Enfield are all good choices in the 50/55 ton range.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Nightward
11/14/03 01:22 AM

The Wraith and Wolverine-7K are my favourite 55-tonners. They have Pulse Lasers, so you actually hit!
tgsofgc
11/14/03 01:52 AM

Lol what are these things called pulse lasers...
(I was talking about the marik version of the 3025 one too, definately among the best mechs in the TRO:3025. Even though it was just presented as a variant and not the base model)
Yeah I like those mechs too but I don't like their price tags. That was the time period of the 14 mil medium battlemech. Hey any idea why the mechs in the dubious TRO: Phoenix are less/better (and in many ways more realistic) upgrades than they gave us in TRO: 3050. I mean 3050 everything is using xl engines and lots of high tech gizmos but we don't get the nice half upgrades that logically use advanced tech with out costing 14 mil till what like 3062+. Maybe their faith in our ability to refit mechs changed, and we no longer needed the ugly fasa mechs.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/14/03 04:21 AM

Now, now, let's not bash FASA without looking at their reasoning. Nearly everyone will agree that the refits in TR:3050 weren't always the 'best' upgrades, or even the most logical, but look at the fictional perspective. The Inner Sphere was in a panic. They were, in a nut-shell, getting their buts handed to them. They were desperate for anything that would narrow the tech gap between themselves and the Clans. Therefore they grabbed anything and everything that, theoretically, from any defensible point of view, would help them, and threw it into service as quick as they could. As time passed, the drawbacks to some of the new tech became apparent, the Clan threat was stalled, and engineers had time to design with both the pros and cons in hand. Make sense?

As an example of how FASA tried to make 'Mechs based on how the fictional designers supposedly thought, I present two Dire Wolf variants: the Dire Wolf Prime, and the Dire Wolf Widowmaker.

The DW Prime follows the typical Clan reasoning of 'throw as many weapons on there as possible, and may the pilot find glory in their use.' (My own interpretation of typical Prime variants) Most everything on this 'Mech has the appearance of having been 'throw together'. Each arm alone is capable of 34 heat (10 less than heat sink capacity), and even grouping the weapons by range results in a main firing TIC that overheats the 'Mech by 10. Of the 7 pod heat sinks added, none were placed in the most logical place (the unallocated Right Leg). And the XL engine is made more vulnerable by the inclusion of LRM-10 ammo in the Left Torso. All in all a dangerous, but definitely flawed 'Mech.

The DW Widowmaker, on the other hand, is the personal variant of Natasha Kerensky. No one has ever accused her of being stupid (and lived), so FASA took care to make her 'Mech tight. Every critcal space on the 'Mech is used. The weapons composing the primary armament (2 ER PPCs, 2 LPLs) have complementary ranges, and their combined heat exactly equal the total heat sink capacity. The 'Mech has a definite knockout punch with a UAC/20 in the Right Torso, but the ammo is cleverly located in the Right Arm, thus protecting the XL Engine from an ammo explosion. And when the oppurtunity presents itself to use the knockout punch, the extra heat can easily be managed by not firing one of the PPCs (since the 'Mech is so well armed, there's no need to fire the UAC until one has a 'pot shot', and one should always double tap). All in all a well-designed, versatile, and deadly 'Mech.

Is it obvious what my favorite 'Mech is?
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Nightward
11/14/03 05:02 AM

3050 was written from the fluff perspective. TR: Phoenix is pure, unmitigated twink.

Both have their high points

And yes, your favourite 'Mech is very evident. Obviously, you are a proponent of the Hoplite

Personally, I like Pulse Lasers. Then again, I play tournaments. I am waiting with bated breath for the first TR design which is a Quad (so I don't fall over every time I have to take a piloting test; accursed Pilot Skill 5) and Pulse Lasers (so I can hit; accursed Gunnery Skill 4).

And I'm a Drac. Have -K model, will travel.
Grizzly
11/14/03 09:28 AM

I really like the Wraith (speed/manuverability), even though I think it is under armed for its size. There are a lot of good Wolverine variants out there, so I agree with you there too. Not a huge fan of pulse lasers, I tend to like ERMeds and standard Larges for the most part, but I also think that the standard PPC(IS) is superior to its ER(IS) counterpart and my favorite weapon is probably the LBX-10. So I am kinda partial to Centurions and Enforcers (all). But I would rather pilot a 50/55 tonner over most anything else (except the 3025 Grasshopper).
Grizzly
11/14/03 09:35 AM

I have to agree with Widowmaker on the Fluff reason for the 3050 mechs. But also consider that FASA had just come out with all this new tech. They wanted to use it in the new(at that time) TRO, so they used as much as they could and came up with the 3050 mechs. Not necessarily bad or good, just new. We as gamers didn't necessarily notice the pro's/con's of the new tech and probably FASA didn't either. Heck by doing this they gave many of us a reason to tweak the TRO 3050 mechs to our liking and got us to delve into the good and bad points of all the new technology. I can't fault them, at the time I hated the whole clan idea, now it just gives me more options to play with!
tgsofgc
11/14/03 12:24 PM

Hehe,
Ok ok I give. Thats how I always justified it to myself as well (the clan pressure). About the quad may I suggest the the VKG-2G Viking, its a variant thats in the record sheets 3060. Its a 90 ton quad that moves 3/5/0 and has:
1 Lg pulse laser
3 med pulse lasers
1 gauss rifle
1 LB-10x
1 Guardian ECM
2 tons of LB-10x ammo
2 tons of Gauss Rifle ammo
12 double heat sinks
a very mean mech, oh and did I mention that it doesn't have a xl engine. Just thought I'd point it out cause its more than easy enough to forget about, then again aren't most of em that came out post 3058.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/14/03 12:34 PM

I knew that sounded to good for a quad...
OOPS
The viking wasn't, I was thinking of the Sirocco. Yup it only has a single med pulse laser. Heh maybe I can convince you to meander into battle in a Viking, it looks kinda like a four legger well somwhere between a four legger and a catapult on steroids.
Well the Bishamon has 2 med pulses.
Come to think of it you must love TRO:3060 right? I mean it has at least 3 tims the number of quads as anyother TRO right?
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/14/03 05:06 PM

TR: 3060 wasn't too bad. I did like the Shugenja and the idea behind the Tai-Sho. Even if the actual execution of the Tai-Sho blew. (Hey, PH34r m3! I have 2 ER PPCs and not enough heat sinks to fire them! And if you can take out my ammo, I loose my reason for even being in the field!)

The Clan 'Mechs were great, though. We finally got a Highlander IIC. I'm still drooling over that one.

The Viking is OK, but personally, I prefer the original configuration. Even with those stupid leg-mounted Small Lasers. So many LRMs. And a Standard Engine. Ahh. All hail the Com Guard, builders of sensible 'Mechs.

The Quads were OK. I did like the Stalking Spider. But the Inner Sphere ones kinda sucked; IS XL Engines and all. The Barghest was OK, but then, as soon as anyone sees a Barghest, they're all: "A BARGHEST! KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT NOW! IT'S A QUAD WITH AN A/C-20! DIE DIE DIE!"

The Bishamon was interesting, especially with the MRMs. But my benchmark for a Quad is the Tarantula; a nasty little 35-tonner from TR: 3055.

The major reason I hate TR: 3060 so bad is the accompanying RS: 3060. They screwed my poor little Panthers and Grand Dragons over yet again, whilst handing out the best new toys to the Federated Commonwealth and Lyran Alliance >:{

I'll give them what for!
widowmaker
11/14/03 05:20 PM

Ooooo... the 3025 Grasshopper... how could I forget the greatest Level 1 skirmisher ever created? Add that to my list of favorites, good call.

All in all, reading everything that's been said about the newer books, I guess I'm going to have to buy some books. I stopped buying new books just after FASA shut down *brushes a tear from eye*. Sounds like a good use for my tax refund.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Nightward
11/14/03 08:14 PM

Seen the RS: Upgrades version of the Grashopper? Mmm... PPC goodness...
tgsofgc
11/14/03 10:56 PM

*drool* Awesome 9Q... sorry lost it for a minute. Yeah to be honest as they progress in time I have been less fond of each of the TROs and the Record Sheets but, you gotta love that feel reading through a new TRO after its been a while.
I dunno though I haven't bought anything since RS:3060 and to be honest don't really have plans to. I mean I like the idea of the newer Field manuals but I am a mechwarrior 2nd editioner and thing 3rd is stupid (it just isn't mechwarrior). Also while I was always more of a level 1 player (at least for campaigns) I think they've finally started to push the munchkin tech too far. I mean is targeting comps?, Rotary autocannons?, Stealth armor?, c3i?, Heavy Gauss?, and (though I've never seen anyone even attempt to use em in a campaign) protomechs?. I mean the equipment is alright if you are just doing the level 3 tourny style play its all fine but come on do we need this l33t stuff in the base game?
please excuse that little rant.

ps. I think most tech is fun and fine if used with a good GM (especially when they make sure its balanced) but the chances of a good GM drop with the more heavy decisions they need to make imho (gosh never new i had so little faith in people before, well i pretend anyways)
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/14/03 11:02 PM

Heh what about the downgraded guillotine? Also while talking about beautiful 3025 mechs let us not forget the Orion ON1-VA. Gosh I love that mech a truely mean 3025 brawler.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/15/03 01:50 AM

Lol. First I read this post, then I looked at your Twin Engine post. What was that about 733t t3cl-l again ?

I don't actively despise any Tech base. It's just that sometimes I wish they'd think things through; if one affiliation is supposed to get uber tech toys to play with, then to make things fair, everyone should get uber tech toys to play with. My DCMS has been getting hammered in this fashion for a while, but I feel sorry for the Rasalhagians and FWLMers who have been completely ignored whilst the Federated Suns, Capellan Confederation, and Lyran Alliance wound up with all the l<3\/\/7 gear. And don't even get me started on the Random Unit Assignment tables :rolls eyes:...

But, yeah. The thing.
tgsofgc
11/15/03 02:12 AM

The big thing is from my stand point the cannon as presented is meant primarily to aid in scenarios and the RPG. To this extent while all the factions should be somewhat equal only through being different can they feel unique.
This was most true in 3025 when the preferences were very much there. Now a days from what I can tell the differences across the IS are this:
The DCMS has c3 and still has most the omnis
Lyrans have lots of omnis especially with big weapons jammed in em (heavy gauss)
Davion has the most rotary acs (though don't they all have them?)
Marik still thinks the light gauss is useful
Cap is a big dog with a little state and equipment that should have let them conquor the sphere. The stealth armor is godly imo.

Well so access to equipment bad for a fair game, but a fair game makes it more intressting (to an extent). For instance 2 shadow hawks fighting is very fair but a shadow hawk and wolverine fighting is still fairly fair though imho a much more intressting battle because each has unique tactical agenda dictated by their options.

Also to be honest I was never a fan of Targetting computers when the clans had em, but it was more acceptable because you could always use:
1) honor code prevents them using -1 to hit
2) trying for the artful kill and this worse pilot contnually is taking bad shots with the +3 to target specific locations

Oh btw I really hate EI, and I never let that into games.

About the twin engine it was posted for you time tested veterans to help me tone it down into a balanced component. As is it costs more than xl, saves less weight, costs more crits, and is only marginally better survival wise than an xl. Also the tonnage saved, primarily is only good for BIG engines smaller engines it works out to a bad version of the light engine. As equipment it is meant to be weird, though more (questionably so) useable than the XXL engine which is only really balanced by cost, which many l33t btech players ignore.

Plus anything is alright in moderation with a good GM, even giving players acces to clan salvage. Is it just me or am i crankety?
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Firekid
11/16/03 07:09 AM

I like the Puma for it's high-octane high-power ER PPC's
tgsofgc
11/16/03 07:16 AM

heh you clan sissy j/k
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Silenced_Sonix
11/16/03 01:16 PM

Yeah, what's wrong with some Clan action? Nothing like two UAC/20 shells in a 'Mech's butt to get it out of the game - fast
Evolve or Die
tgsofgc
11/16/03 02:28 PM

You know the joy of victory against unsurmountable odds right? Anyways the clans were put into Battletech (imho) to basically give the PCs a general bigger, badder, more shadowy enemy to face. I am not sure they ever intended for the clans to be a big part for players.
Why?
Because most of the clantech is super super good in comparision to inner sphere tech, is limited (even among the clans) by cannon lore, and isn't balanced very well against the other tech in terms of cost or BV (imho). An analogy if I may...
Suppose we decide to play a war game, and you a lowly infantry man is issued a simply standard issue rifle. Now I may want to help you feel like your a character of heroic proportions and decide to give the enemies access to 31st century laser rifles, so you really have acheived something when killing them. (Also this encourages you to think in terms of tactics, versus brute force) Now suppose you kill one of these enemy soldiers and take his laser. This is all fine and well because the rifle while very powerful only helps you start to offset the "unsurmountable odds", you had to earn it, and it is very rare and precious to you. Now suppose I gave all the players unlimited access to these 31st century lasers at the beginning of play, and at least half of all your enemys simply have 21st century rifles. This would force me to either offset it with other factors, such as the upkeep cost of the rifle, or by forcing you to fight larger numbers of these weak soldiers.

Well maybe I made somepoint, or maybe I inadvertantly just started ranting again. Like I said before this is imo and may not necessarily be your opinion, though i hope I explained why I have my opinion.

Also: some clantech is just broken (in game mechanics terms), such as the Lg Pulse Laser.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/16/03 11:53 PM

Clan Tech is broken? Have you looked at Stealth Armour lately? Or C3?

Arg.

It's a matter of personal taste, I guess. I really like the Clans, but it seems to just be me
widowmaker
11/17/03 05:28 AM

All of the above (Clantech, IS Newtech, even Star League tech to a certain extent), with the balance issues and the power-housing... this is why I love Level One play. Clean, simple, and just plain FUN. Remember the days when the extra heat from an engine critical meant you had a serious heat problem? 5 heat is nothing these days, but back then it could kill you. And that second engine hit was a death warrant.

I get nostalgic occasionally.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/17/03 11:23 AM

The only problem in level 1 play, imho, is that certain equipment etc. there is never a reason to use (aside from it coming standard, or being all you had). Though that was probally the last time autocannons were close to the effectiveness of energy weapons.
My preference is for late level one campaigns (especially mercenary ones) run with mechwarrior 2nd edition around the 3030s.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Sarge
11/18/03 01:09 AM

Heh getting this back to the original topic

My favs are:

Stalker ( 8S )
Marauder
Wolverine
Griffin
Jenner
Dragonfire
Warhammer ( 6D )
Thunderbolt
Centurion ( AH )

-Sarge
Corsair_SG
11/19/03 03:07 PM

Battlemaster 3025
ShadowHawk 3025
Archer 3025
WarHammer 3025
Banshee-S 3025

Alltime Favorite
Orion 3025
Sarge
12/17/03 02:12 AM

Stalker! Especially the 8S model!
The Kurita Archer
The Steiner and Marik Marauders
Dragonfire
Jenner
Tarantula
Warhammer 6D
the 4 PPC Awesome
The Charger ( both the SB and the LBX-20 versions)
Wolverine 7M. It just won't die whenever I use it. I don't know why but I've stopped questioning it and simply enjoy it!
-Sarge
JStallion
02/01/04 12:25 PM

hey not everyone hates clan tech

i like the clan 20-ton prihana, 12 machine guns=24 damage w/ no heat and fast enough to close in quick
Shadowdancer
02/14/04 12:13 AM

I'd have to say the Marauder IIC. The original one, that is.
Jesus built my Mad Cat.
Silenced_Sonix
02/14/04 08:09 AM

Mad Cat. Nothing can beat a Mad Cat at that perfect Clan look, coupled with a weapon array that is potentially lethal (in capable hands, that is) at all ranges. The Mad Cat symbolises evyerthing the Clans stand for - their war-like attitude, their savage appearance, and their unbridled ferocity in combat.
Evolve or Die
DedJester
02/15/04 01:37 AM

Ostsol 4D
it's not everyday you take out an equal weight clan mech(Mad Dog) with average pilot. Did it during a gaming convention here.

Tarantula for speed. I had one in a lance of heavies and an assult with C3 network nasty.
Masakari for killing power(gotta love pusle lasers with targeting computer).
"I have orders to be awakened at any time in the case of a national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting."
Ronald Reagan.
Corbeau
02/16/04 03:15 AM

Vindicator - My mech of choice, and the main reason I commonly play the Capellan Confederation (that and the fact I feel sorry for the CapCon ).
Panther - My fav light mech, and also a staple of House Kurita - my first choice in factions.
Marauder - A mech that complements both the Panther and Vindicator, and if I had a choice would be the command mech for most of my lances.
Grasshopper & Catapult - Mix 2 Grasshoppers and two Cats and you have one heck of a lance! My favorite lance combo, it works well in my Liao force.

Hmm, in retrospect... I seem to like something about 4/6/x mechs.

And even though it's not a mech, I just have to give honorible mension to the Savannah Master.
----
Corbeau (the annoying BT n00b)
HardKorHippy
03/02/04 09:08 PM

Gotta go with the Kodiak, followed by the Grizzly. They may not be Omnis, but they have more than enough firepower to take on any comers. Other faves are the Mad Cat, Vulture, Summoner, Conjuror (is it just me or is this mech vastly underused?), Axman if armed with an AC/20, Black Python, Hunchback, Hunchback IIC, Raven, Hitman, and Puma. Oh, and sorry for the long list.
Paladin
03/07/04 06:24 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Shadow Cat. It's quick as anything and packs quite the punch for a 45 ton machine. That said, I prefer playing Level 1 games a lot and favour the Enforcer, Centurion and Grasshopper there.
Toontje
03/08/04 04:52 AM

CPLT-C1, definately. Some ranged power, short range, HS to boot, and jump! It's almost as evil as the munchback, all 3025 of cause.
From the newer I like the thunder tho it's prone to die, and the Ti Ts'ang. Further: Stealth! Vindicator, raven, anything! Combine in a augumented lance with a couple of chaparrals, some homing and inferno IV rounds, and you're set to whip the enemy.
Rather to blow up, then.

Edited by Toontje (03/08/04 04:54 AM)
Death_Fire
04/23/04 11:49 AM

Mechs? The only one of value is one with speed and power!
Gota go with the Clan Thor.
Has enough power to take out a Dire Wolf, and fast enough to run away afterward.
The winning team is the first team that wins!
-Hitchikers Guide To The Galixies
TheCrusader
02/08/05 10:20 PM

I classify My favs by weight class.

Light:
Panther
Jenner

Medium:
Shadow Hawk
Enforcer

Heavy:
Crusader(obviously)
Dragon
Exterminator

Assualt:
Zeus
Cyclops
Highlander
fenix
10/01/05 03:18 PM

3025 fave mechs...

jenner (without SRM variant) - more armor, fast and shooty
wolverine-M - just plain tough and badass... the LL on the marik version is much better than the AC5
awesome - the name says it all... i think this guy could take any mech 1 on 1 in 3025
grasshopper - jumpy, armored, and no heat problems... not too excited by the LRM5 though

for style over substance i gotta go with centurion, orion, clint, and commando just cuz they look cool
for nostalgia i would pick Archer, Shadowhawk, Thunderbolt, and Locust

how about WORST mechs? i gotta say the STINGER cuz 2 MGs and a ton of ammo is just dumb when you only have a few tons space to work with
the cicada - why bother... may as well get a locust
vulcan - ac/2 is wimpy. and the mech just looks ridiculous
, jagermech - needs more armor and less AC2
, and finally the charger - which is the biggest waste of tonnage i can imagine
purely aesthetic concerns make me dislike the ost-mechs, stalker, vulcan, scorpion
MisterAnderson
10/06/05 12:01 AM

3025 Wolverine would have to be favourite mech of all time (Marik version is best) & was the first mech I ever used.

Then something like the following:
**ALL 3025**
Warhammer (Davion or Kurita Variant)
Grasshopper (5-N PPC Variant)
Awesome
Charger 1A5 (AC20/SRM6 Variant)
Crusader (Davion Variant)
Thunderbolt (Standard or Steiner Variant)
Orion
Hunchback 4P or 4SP (8 med lasers! or 2 SRM6 + 4 med lasers)
Imp
King Crab
Atlas
Jenner 7F (Doesn't everone love this mech?)
Wolfhound
Mongoose
Javelin 10F
KamikazeJohnson
11/04/05 03:28 AM

Hands down the best heavy in the game. The only heavies that had a chance against it were teh jump-capable ones, and those usually only in unkind terrain. In the open, I've pasted more than one B-Master with my trusty T-Bolt
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Auren_Shiro
11/08/05 08:25 AM

Whammy IIC. I love it... then again, who doesn't love a whammy?
Need...more...Nevcrack...
indigoglyph
12/23/05 11:22 AM

Sounds like we should have a vote - no votes on this forum, then?

Warhammer - nearly 20yrs ago I had that gorgeous cutaway poster
Rifleman - bro & I had models as kids
Goliath - gotta have a quad
Blood Asp & Uziel - getting me back into CBT, just on the basis of their looks!
HydroSqueegee
12/28/05 08:57 AM

HBK-4G just for the fact it was the first mech i ever played with.

Other favorites in no particular order
CRD-3D
PHX-1D
MAD-3D
WHM-6R
BJ-1
FS9-H

Im not very into Assaults or anything after 3025
Octavian
12/28/05 10:03 AM

i love it when mechs carry many many longe-range-missiles, just beautiful. the kuritan naginate for example has on its HANDS 15 longeĀ“-range missiles, simply beautiful.

but my favourite mech is the GUNSLINGER GUN-1ERD. i only know him from one single card from the battletech TCG, but its enough. what can be more potent and precisely than 2 gauss rifles as arms of a battlemech??
Toontje
12/28/05 02:16 PM

Thunderhawk: -->3<--- GR.

Actually an assaultkiller like the Ti Ts'ang, or Buccaneer to a lesser extent, can eat gunslingers or thunderhawks for breakfast.

Alltime favorite stays cplt-c1 tho. LRM's for softening, and a buckload of ml's to support the rounding up (lance/lance).
Rather to blow up, then.
DireWolf
12/31/05 08:23 AM

IS Level 1:
STK-3F Stalker
ON1-K Orion
WVR-6M Wolverine
HER-1A Hermes

Clan Level 2:
Fire Moth D
Storm Crow B
Timber Wolf A
Dire Wolf Widowmaker
-Lt. Lev (Res. Inf.) "Dire Wolf" Arris, IDF.

"What is it like fighting the Wolf ? Imagine a lightning with legs, an earthquake with arms, a catastrophe with genius or just pure hell on wheels".
Oni_Ryo
01/20/06 03:27 AM

Hmm... well outside of 3rd edition boxed set and the computer games i dont really know many mechs soooo i'll just stick with what i know from there...

IS:
---PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk... I love the balance of power and manuverability. Plus i've found a whole new respect for it after losing constantly to it from my friend who i only introduced to battletech a few months ago!
---Mad Cat MK2... What can i say, anything modeled after the Timber Wolf has gotta kick butt >=D Plus, it looked really cool in MechWarrior 4

Clan:
---Timber Wolf Prime... Totally stereotypical to choose as a clan fav? Yeah, but I've always had a liking for it ever since i first saw it in MechWarrior 2... ah the mockery i got when i chose it to use online... oh the sweet vengance as I turned their Dire Wolf customs into slag and asked them, "So what was that you were saying about the TW being a useless and weak newbie mech?" >=D
sdog
04/26/06 01:18 PM

all 3025:
my favourite by heart:
Panther 9R

the one i like the most to use:
Wolverine (M in neveron LW, R in duells)

best looking:
Warhammer WHM-6R (the Robotech Destroid! not new crap)

favourite lance:
ARC-2R, WHM-6K, ON1-K, WVR-6M
(i used a ARC-2K, WHM-6K, WHM-6R, WVR-6M lance for quite a while)

I realised soon that the fun part of playing a military game is that we have lots of lifes and in the end knowone dies, ...

- Skaven, ArmA modding community
Dart
04/26/06 02:03 PM

level one:
thug
Grasshopper
Wasp
stinger
Commando
Jenner
Locust
Warhammer
Awsome
Battlemaster

Level two
(only if with out the crappy XLs)Battlemaster
Thug
Warhammer(see note with the BM)
Commando
Stinger
Wasp
Locust
Jenner
TIMBER WOLF
DIRE WOLF
NOVA
SUPER NOVA
HELLBRINGER
SUMMONER(sp)
WARHAWK
CBT all the way

"yes Its the same Dart Omega from CBT and BTU"

"don't like my reply well then kiss my Rear torso"
Tobias_Moon
06/03/06 02:40 PM

This one is rather easy for me ...

For manuverability and speed,

TR-1 Wraith
(especially outfitted with clan pulse weapons in place of the I.S, makes it one deadly beast)

For Sheer Killing Power-

Thunderhawk (either variant is good, I prefer the K slightly)

(tripping gauss rifles is a lovely thing...leading to my favorite head-shot saying (stolen from a friend of mine)...'head,dead,buh-bye' )
"Something moves within the night that is not good and is not right" (book of counted sorrows, Dean Koontz)
{Tobias Moon is AKA Michael Scirocco for some of you older timers}
Thunderlyon
06/15/06 10:57 PM

3025 has to be the Panther 9R. Even used a Charger to make a big brother for the Panther called the Tiger K. Paired up nicely and using the same exact weapons, the Tiger just had more, had little problems with ammo and weapon availability on missions.

Other mechs are the Shadowhawk, Marauder and Timberwolf. Have to eventually use Assault class mechs in the MW video games but rarely have for the boardgames but when I do it is the Stalker 3F.
Venom
06/22/06 11:21 PM

Lvl1
Light:Panther
Medium:Centurion
Heavy :Grasshopper or Thunderbolt-SS
Assault:Atlas or Banshee-S

Lvl2 IS
Light:Venom(duh)
Medium:Crab(modified)
Heavy:Black Knight
Assault:Devastator

Clan Omni
Light:Adder
Medium:Blackhawk
Heavy:Timberwolf
Assault:Direwolf

Clan Second Line
Light:Solitare
Medium:Rabid Coyote
Heavy:Black Python
Assault:Supernova or Stone Rhino
adamwehn
06/30/06 02:12 PM

Out of standard mechs? I'd have to say the Dragon DRG-1N is my personal favorite, now a clan tech Dragon DRG-1N based model is even more so my favorite.
Hellbringer
11/16/07 06:39 AM

I love Inner Sphere heavies and assaults.
Thug
King Crab
Catapult (C1)
Barghest
War Dog

I think the Clans have the best lights and mediums though.
Cougar
Puma
Nova
Ryoken
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Askhati
11/23/07 04:48 AM

IS:
Hunchback
Dragon & Grand Dragon
Catapult
Awesome

Clan:
Uller
Vulture
Loki
Masakari (because it looks like a building with legs)
Evolve or DIE!
Lafeel
01/05/08 09:13 PM

I know this is a bit old, but it's still on the top of the list, and a classic subject, so I hope no one minds if I answer this one

IS
Battlemaster (original 3rd ed box set version)
Wolfhound
Grand Dragon
Templar (Sorthek :P)

Clans:
Dire Wolf
Summoner
That Battlemaster from "Natural Selection"
FrabbyModerator
01/29/08 12:38 PM

My "favourite" 'Mech is the Archer because it was the first one I ever played - I picked it because I liked the picture, before even reading the rules.
But the question seems rather to be which 'Mech I figure performs best. I shall answer that by weight class:

Light: Jenner

Medium: Griffin or Phoenix Hawk

Heavy: Grasshopper or Cataphract, though people tend to underestimate the Ostroc/Ostsol big time which I also like very much. Thunderbolt and Warhammer are probably the best line 'Mechs for standard slugging matches.

Assault: There is no good assault 'Mech that is worth its tonnage. Banshee-S and BattleMaster (and possibly Goliath) are the only ones that are not seriously flawed. Atlas is just a hugely overestimated target - after 12 meagre salvos of LRMs, anything with a Large Laser or PPC will finish him off.

Edited by Frabby (01/29/08 07:49 PM)
Kelly
01/29/08 06:56 PM

Gotta say Flashman, but I like 3025 tech.
Yea, I know....there aren't many left in 3025.
Some mornings you just don't feel like slaying dragons!
Dester
01/31/08 04:40 PM

level 1/ 3025 era tech
Light - Spider
Med. - Vidicator (also like the griffin)
Heavy - Warhammer
Thunderbolt gets an honorable mention. I have never played that mech and had it go down with out having basicly been 100% destroyed by damage (not ammo explosions)
Assult - Awesome

Level 2/ 3050/ star leauge
Light - mongoose
Med. - Lots of good med mechs with recovered tech, probably go with a Shadow Hawk variant
Heavy - Warhammer (what can I say, i love that mech)
Assult - Banshee

Clan
Light - Koshi
Med - Fenris
Heavy - Madcat
Assult - Dahashi (duh) Though i do like the massakari also.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 34366

Contact Admins Sarna.net