Gauss vs PPCs

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Zandel_Corrin
11/06/08 11:59 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Anyhoo.... getting back on topic....

Consider the mechs that mount GRs.... The clan executioner is a good example.... 1GR and 2 ERLL.... uses a GR cause it doesn't have the heat for ERPPCs.....

GR best used with other weaps.... high heat weaps.... saves the headache you get from piloting a heat freak like the Nova Cat... Bad design IMHO
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/31/08 04:30 AM

The assault mechs that I have designed have ERLL and GR. I am not much of a fan of the ERPPC. I would rather have a ERLL or PPC. The ERPPC runs to hot for the range and damage that it has. That is for IS as for the Clans the 15 damage with the Clan ERPPC is acceptable.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Flameblade
05/25/09 10:48 AM

I think which way you go should be based on the size of the mech and its additional weaponry. Light Mechs should go ER PPC. Since they will not be carry much in the way of additional HS, and equipment. Whereas large sized Mech's will have to deal with higher heat totals. Mounting a Gauss means you can drop many smaller energy weapons onto the Mech for close in fighting.
However, once you get into specializing Mechs for specific purposes it goes beyond raw stats.
LAMdriver
06/12/09 05:58 AM

Another factor to consider is the mission that your unit is on. Is the mission a direct assault or covert landing and LRRP (long range recon patrol)? Harassing rear areas or Sniper op? You have to look at the totality of your mission and plan accordingly.

For direct assault and sniper ops, I would go for a Gauss rifle. For harassing and LRRP, PPC are the way to go.

Why you may ask? One word: logicistics.

If the direct assault or sniper mission is sucessful, you can return to base or wait for the supply train to refitt and rearm.

As a LRRP you are cut off from your supply lines until pick or your dead. An added bonus with attacking rear areas is the PPC's abilty to start fires which can help your units and hinder the enemy. It also can turn a simple hit and run missions into a "scroched earth" resource denial missions.

I hope that this adds another dimension into your campaings.
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 34607

Contact Admins Sarna.net