Double Lightning Rods

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
SSFSX17
10/21/01 08:49 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Tech: Inner Sphere 3

Double Lightning Rods take up as many crits and weigh as much as a Hatchet. However, unlike Hatchets, mechs are REQUIRED to wield a pair of double lightning rods as opposed to one.

When only one rod manages to impact the target, then it is to be treated as a punch that is only half as damaging.

But, when both rods impact the target in the same phase, the target is electrocuted for 1/3rd hatchet damage in every single location on the target except for the head, which only takes 1/4th hatchet damage. In addition, every single location takes one critical, including the head. It does not matter where the rods hit.

If there is a location that has no armor on it, not even back armor, then every single critical slot in that location is automatically destroyed. However, the inner structure may still remain, thus allowing that location to still be considered as existing. If it still has back armor, then it is not destroyed in such a way.

When operated against Reactive (Blazer) armor, every single piece of reactive armor on the target is destroyed. However, the attacking mech suffers 1 point of damage in a random location for every 5 points of reactive armor that exploded.

When operated against Reflective Glazed armor, the mech hit by the rods does not suffer a critical in the head, and the glare from the shimmering electricity forces the attacking mech to make a piloting roll to avoid being blinded for 1d6 rounds.

When a mech manages to hit a specific battlearmor or elemental with both rods, the pilot inside takes 5 damage in addition to any other effects associated with being electroshocked.

Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Bob_Richter
10/21/01 11:55 PM

ehh....this seems WRONG somehow. Too powerful. A head crit every time there's a double hit?

+, the way electricity works, it should only have an effect on all locations between the first hit and the second one.

(i.e. I hit Right Arm and Left Arm. RA, RT, CT, LT, LA are damaged, but if I hit Head and RL, Head, CT, RT, RL are damaged)

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Black_Phoenix
10/22/01 07:40 AM

Also if only one hits then the damage should transfere though the mech until it hits the ground, i.e. RA is hit- then RA RT & RL are also hit.

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

CrayModerator
10/22/01 08:41 AM

If the "twin lightning rods" are of opposite polarity, the lightning would arc from one to the other rather than the ground.

However, I find this whole system a bit improbable. I can see some local armor damage where electrical arcs leap from the rods to the target (like an arc welder), but mechs do have a fairly continuous, conductive shell. Like lightning hitting a car, the mech should be largely undamaged by the lightning strike.

Ignoring that hitch, the system overall looks a bit powerful, but otherwise seems like a fine anime conversion to BT.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Black_Phoenix
10/22/01 04:42 PM

>>If the "twin lightning rods" are of opposite polarity, the lightning would arc from one to the other rather than the ground.>>

So what? The ground is the only place for the energy to disipate and if the rod hits there is a good chance that the polarity of the ground will change and attract the energy. Just like an electrical storm changes the polartiy of the gound it is above. Short of the energy changing form to heat the only place for the energy is the gound.

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

Bob_Richter
10/22/01 05:28 PM

I can tell you've never played with a Jacob's Ladder.

The charge of the ground is merely neutral. It attracts lightning because lightning is massively negative. However, a positively charged source will attract a lightning bolt much more strongly.

-Bob Richter

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
CrayModerator
10/22/01 06:12 PM

>So what? The ground is the only place for the energy to disipate

Remind me again why the electricity arcs from one electrode of the taser I'm holding to the other (as I chase the dog), rather than to the ground.

Mike Miller, MatE

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
SSFSX17
10/22/01 06:20 PM

Tech: Inner Sphere 3

Double Lightning Rods take up as many crits and weigh as much as a Hatchet. However, unlike Hatchets, mechs are REQUIRED to wield a pair of double lightning rods as opposed to one.

Using both rods at the same time results in an extreme electrical build-up inside the engine which causes an amount of heat equal to the number of critical slots taken up by one of the rods. In addition, all special electronic equipment operated by the mech has no effects while both rods are used.

When only one rod manages to impact the target, then it is to be treated as a punch that is only half as damaging.

But, when both rods impact the target in the same phase, the target is electrocuted for 1/3rd hatchet damage in every single location on the target between the two impact points. In addition, every single location affected also takes one critical. It does not matter where the rods hit.

If there is a location that has no armor on it (before the rods hit, not after), not even back armor, then every single critical slot in that location is automatically destroyed. However, the inner structure may still remain, thus allowing that location to still be considered as existing. If it still has back armor (before the rods hit), then it is not destroyed in such a way.

When operated against Reactive (Blazer) armor, every single piece of reactive armor that was mounted on the same locations as the locations that were damagedf on the target is destroyed. However, the attacking mech suffers 1 point of damage in a random location for every 5 points of reactive armor that exploded.

When operated against Reflective Glazed armor, the glare from the shimmering electricity forces the attacking mech to make a piloting roll to avoid being blinded for 1d6 rounds.

When a mech manages to hit a specific battlearmor or elemental with both rods, the pilot inside takes 5 damage in addition to any other effects associated with being electroshocked.

Black_Phoenix
10/22/01 06:44 PM

Okay
1) A Jacob's Ladder is insulated at the base.
2) If you were to connect one end of the Ladder to the ground, this simulates the armor touching the ground, where do you think the electricity will go? If you said the ground, your right, and quit talking to your computer.
3) In everything I've ever read about lightning the writers say that the ground will change to a positive polarity if the electrons in the cloud are strong enough to affect the ground.
4) Lightning also moves two ways, there are multiple streamers from both the cloud and the ground. Wherever two meet that is the path that the bolt follows.

Have you ever had electricity arc into your finger, or other parts? Where do you think that energy goes? Direction, gravity and other forces have little or no effect on electricity. Only the polarity of an object, and its ability to insulate, has any major effect.

Black_Phoenix
10/22/01 06:53 PM

Three reasons.
1) The polarities of the two prongs are different. One has the electrons forced into it, the other doen't.
2) Not enough power.
3) Nowhere else to go. Here's the question you should have thought about before asking this: Why does this energy go into the person, or animal in your case, instead of going between the prongs? The reason: Polarity!! The polarity of the intended target is changed in the area hit by the taser. There is the chance that the energy from the taser wil go into the ground, depending on the polarity and the strength of the taser.

CrayModerator
10/23/01 06:46 AM

>1) The polarities of the two prongs are different. One has the electrons forced into it, the other doen't

Yeah, that was my point. That's also a good description of the "double lightning rods," too. One is negative, one is positive. Electricity flows between them by way of a target mech.

>Here's the question you should have thought about before asking this: Why does this energy go into the person, or animal in your case, instead of going between the prongs? The reason: Polarity!!

Uh...I didn't even think that question because I ASSUMED anyone clever enough to design a mech-damaging uber-taser would know to put the "lightning rods" at different polarities. I mean, that's so obvious it's not worth mentioning.

>There is the chance that the energy from the taser wil go into the ground, depending on the polarity and the strength of the taser.

And then back up into the taser user's feet as the ground seeks to balance out the polarity difference between the taser and ground.

Black_Phoenix
10/23/01 07:42 AM

>>Yeah, that was my point. That's also a good description of the "double lightning rods," too. One is negative, one is positive. Electricity flows between them by way of a target mech.>>

Think about it this way. What happens if you place the charged prong of the taser onto a piece of sheet metal stuck in the ground? The energy will go into the ground, right? What I am trying to say is that electricity moves to the closest point with the opposite polarity. If the 2nd lightningrod is not touching the mech the energy will move toward the gound.

>>And then back up into the taser user's feet as the ground seeks to balance out the polarity difference between the taser and ground.>>

Assuming the power is high enough, yes that COULD happen. But the energy would have to be awfuly high to do this since it heads in all directions when it gets to the ground.

>>Uh...I didn't even think that question because I ASSUMED anyone clever enough to design a mech-damaging uber-taser would know to put the "lightning rods" at different polarities. I mean, that's so obvious it's not worth mentioning.>>

Fine, here's a question. What happens to the energy, which moves through the mech, if one of the rods is destroyed? It's not like the loss of one rod is going to stop the other from functioning.

CrayModerator
10/23/01 08:06 AM

>Think about it this way. What happens if you place the charged prong of the taser onto a piece of sheet metal stuck in the ground? The energy will go into the ground, right?

No.

The electricity emerges at the positive prong at, say, 50,000 volts. ISTR hearing 50000V for tasers.

It then has a choice:

1) Flow through the sheet metal to the ground, which is at (by definition) 0V
2) Flow through the sheet metal to the negative prong, which is at -50000V due to basic charge-balancing behavior of electronics

>>And then back up into the taser user's feet as the ground seeks to balance out the polarity difference between the taser and ground.

>Assuming the power is high enough, yes that COULD happen.

No, it WILL happen. It won't necessarily be a shoe-burning, taser-wielder-stunning electrical arc, but the taser (and connected operator) is at -50,000 volts until such time as voltage from the positive prong of the taser returns to the taser to balance the potential difference. Otherwise the taser (and wielder) will have an enormous static electrical field around them to the tune of -50,000V.

Black_Phoenix
10/23/01 04:14 PM

>>The electricity emerges at the positive prong>>

You never payed attention in physics did you? Electricity is made from electrons, thus it is has a NEGATIVE charge, thus it will flow from the NEGATIVE prong to the POSITIVE prong, not the other way around. Eletricity is the movement of electrons to where there are few or none. The electrons move to counteract the positrons charge, that is why most atoms are nuetral.

>>50,000 volts. ISTR hearing 50000V for tasers.>>

Voltage has nothing to do with where the electrons move, only polarity affects the direction of travel. As I said above, electricity moves to an area that lacks electrons.

>>>>And then back up into the taser user's feet as the ground seeks to balance out the polarity difference between the taser and ground.

>Assuming the power is high enough, yes that COULD happen.

No, it WILL happen.>>

No, it CAN happen. as I have said many times, POLARITY is the key to where the energy will move.

SSFSX17
10/23/01 06:14 PM

"It's not like the loss of one rod is going to stop the other from functioning."

Yes, it is.

Considering that it causes critical hits automatically, not to mention frying any exposed body part, both should be required for game balance.

Black_Phoenix
10/23/01 06:38 PM

Sorry, I should have made that statement a little more clear. "In real life the loss of the second rod would make no difference, since the energy will disperese elsewhere, like into the ground."

That is what I meant by the statement in the previous post.

Black_Phoenix
10/23/01 06:43 PM

Since you seem to have lost some understanding on the subject, go to this site and it will explain what I have been talking about.

http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/mod_tech/node83.html

Deathshadow
10/23/01 06:53 PM

Electrons should not pass to the ground unless the circuit is completed. An isolated circuit will not short if one pole goes to ground, unless of course your voltage is high enough for the other pole to possibly carry the current through the air (known as an Arc). Just because many DC circuits use natural ground as their ground, doesn't mean that natural ground will always ground a DC circuit. Tazers are in fact made as isolated circuts for that very reason, so some dumbass doesn't actually electrocute themselves.

Not that it matters much, since aren't Tazers usually AC? Usually a primitive Tesla Coil relying on a single NPN transistor, Ja? Convert the DC power stored in it's batteries to two switched DC lines, run through opposite low winds against a high wind transformer. Kind of like the easy homebrew tesla coils you can make from readily available components like the flyback transformer from inside a TV if your willing to wind your own coil on the open side of the ferrous ring. (diagram follows)

One thing this topic seems to be glossing over is that voltage has little to do with total power. Some people see 'high voltage' and automatically associate it with high power and lethal damaging voltage.

remember: Volts x Amps = Watts.

So, one million volts at a millionth of an amp is still only one watt, which won't even make your hair stand on end.

Armor? Bah, that's for wussies. - Anonymous Locust-1M Pilot
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
Deathshadow
10/23/01 09:37 PM

Actually, there should be no discharge as long as your not using natural ground as part of your circuit, which would be a pretty silly thing to do considering the risk of damage to yourself. Better to keep it an isolated circuit requiring the contact of both poles to discharge it.

Using natural ground would have one advantage though, you'd only need to make contact with one of your sticks to 'shock' the target. Reminds me a bit of the story of the Dog and the Telephone...

It's common practice in England to ring a telephone by signaling extra voltage across one side of the two wire circuit and ground (earth in England). When the subscriber answers the phone, it switches to the two wire circuit for the conversation. This method allows two parties on the same line to be signalled without disturbing each other.

Anyway, an elderly lady with several pets called to say that her telephone failed to ring when her friends called; and that on the few occasions when it did ring her dog always barked first. The telephone repairman proceeded to the scene, curious to see this psychic dog.

He climbed a nearby telephone pole, hooked in his test set, and dialed the subscriber's house. The phone didn't ring. He tried again. The dog barked loudly, followed by a ringing telephone.

Climbing down from the pole, the telephone repairman found:

A> The grounding pole was embedded in loose gravel, not making good contact.

B> The dog was tied to the telephone system's ground post via an iron chain and collar.

C> The dog was receiving 90 volts of signalling current.
After several such jolts, the dog would start barking and urinating on the ground.

D> The wet ground now completed the circuit and the phone would ring.

Which shows you that some problems can be fixed by just pissing on them.

Armor? Bah, that's for wussies. - Anonymous Locust-1M Pilot
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
Black_Phoenix
10/23/01 09:45 PM

>>The dog was receiving 90 volts of signalling current. >>

Bet that had to hurt. Sounds painful even without experiencing it.

>>Which shows you that some problems can be fixed by just pissing on them. >>

Would Osama Bin Laden count for this theory?

CrayModerator
10/24/01 06:46 AM

Dang it, I always got positive/negative flow directions reversed. It was like there was one convention orienting field lines from positive to negative terminals, but when the charge carriers were negative, they went from negative to positive, but when the charge carriers were positive...

To quote that website you provided:

Physical currents in electrical circuits consist of electrons in the wire moving from lower to higher electrical potential. Since electrons by convention have negative charge, the net effect is equivalent to having a positive current flow from higher to lower electrical potential.

In other words, I can say I was correct and you can say you were correct about current flow.

Anyway. The point being, the charges will flow from polarity extremes, which is determined by...

>Voltage has nothing to do with where the electrons move, only polarity affects the direction of travel. As I said above, electricity moves to an area that lacks electrons

...voltage. Voltage is an expression of the degree of polarity. Don't you know that? Voltage says how much of one type of charge (positive or negative) has accumulated some place.

Please read that website you helpfully provided me, particularly the links on electrical potential:

http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/mod_tech/node88.html

followed quickly by the links on electrical current:

http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/mod_tech/node89.html

The important part is: Suppose a potential difference is established between two points, and some charges are released. These charges will be acted on by the electrical force and start to move.

This is what I've been trying to tell you. The double lightning rods establish a potential difference is between the two rods. Current flows between them.

There is a third potential difference you've identified: the ground.

However, the mech with the double lightning rods STARTS at the ground's voltage which is, by definition, 0 volts. Otherwise there would be electricity flowing between the mech and the ground before the mech even turned on the double lightning rod.

When the mech turns on its lightning rods, they are charged to opposite voltages, like the plates of a capacitor:

http://www.sweethaven.com/acee/forms/frm0802.htm#08020101

When they touch an enemy mech, the circuit is closed and current flows between the two rods. Why between the two rods and not the ground?

Because the ground is only at 0V. Current will flow from voltage extremes, and the ground is not at the most extreme voltage.

"No, it CAN happen. as I have said many times, POLARITY is the key to where the energy will move."

Absolutely. And the ground is NOT at the most extreme polarity. When you have a rod charged to -1 million volts and, in charging it to -1 million volts, you charge a neighboring rod to +1 million volts...this is basic charge balancing as seen in capacitors. The extremes of polarity are +1 million volts and -1 million volts. But you expect the accumulation of electrons in the negatively charged rod to go to the 0V ground? Why?

And if one of the rods (I guess you'd say the rod charged to -1 million volts) discharges to the ground instead of the other rod, you have a problem: the remaining rod still has an electrical charge (+1 million volts). The polarity extreme is now between the rod and the ground. Current will flow back into the mech with the lightning rods to balance this charge inequity.

As you said, it's a matter of polarity. The remaining rod is positive and (relatively) the ground is negative. Though the discharge would've been between the two rods in the first place, which was the real polarity extreme.

CrayModerator
10/24/01 06:50 AM

"In real life the loss of the second rod would make no difference, since the energy will disperese elsewhere, like into the ground."

Actually...yeah. The current from the surviving rod will take the less ideal path from the rod to the ground and back into the mech, completing the circuit.

Though, in BT terms, more than just an electrode was probably damaged by the destruction of the one rod. Some necessary gizmo or control circuitry might've been damaged. Multi-crit weapons are notoriously unspecific about what component(s) go in each slot.

Black_Phoenix
10/24/01 07:17 PM

>>you have in the other corner a frickin' engeneer...vs., from the look of it, someone who reads alotta websites>>

I may not be an engineer but there is a reason: I'm only 17 yrs old. I do know a lot about electronics because I've spend a good portion of my life studying them, taking them apart and building them. So I have experience with them. What experience do you have?

>>nd look who got the backup...not you.>>

Fine by me. I don't mind taking things on by myself.

>>I think he knows what he is talking about...they only make you learn that in college....>>

I'm not saying he doesn't. Since he's an engineer that means that he was in college. The question is, what was he taught about electronics in college? He my only have had limited experience with electronics, not to say that he has or that he doesn't know what he is talking about. In fact, I'm betting that he does know.

>>Go ahead...flame me...>>

No point to that. Your reaction says more then any insult ever could.

SoyBigHead
10/24/01 09:15 PM

yeh know...not ALL engineers play around with electronics; look at freight trains :-) (sorry couldnt resist) oh and btw, i know alot about electronics; whenever theres something wrong with them in my house, im always the first person my relatives turn too...

"no one, ever has the time, to listen to me, see right thru me, this is getting hard to face no one ever sees me fall, and no one cares at all, this will only make you strong" River City High, "No One Cares"
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
Black_Phoenix
10/24/01 10:24 PM

>>yeh know...not ALL engineers play around with electronics;>>

That is true but, I don't how much college training Cray has gotten in electronics. For all I know they taught him in a year long class. All I was saying in my last post is that he may have gotten training and thus has better info then me.

Bob_Richter
10/25/01 12:43 AM

I remember being young once....and being assumed to be wrong just because the other guy had a degree. Didn't matter that he couldn't argue his way out of a wet paper bag.

Nonetheless, you actually are wrong here. :)

-Bob Richter

CrayModerator
10/25/01 06:55 AM

>I may not be an engineer but there is a reason: I'm only 17 yrs old. I do know a lot about electronics because I've spend a good portion of my life studying them, taking them apart and building them. So I have experience with them. What experience do you have?

That seems to be directed at Vejut, but just to establish myself (because SoyBigHead and Bob Richter have points about not all degrees apply to electronics, and even those with degrees can be idiots) I took electronics in 10th grade, covered them again in physics in 11th, and AP physics in 12th. I enrolled in college as an electrical engineer, got in two 5 credit-hour electrical engineering courses, plus a 3 credit-hour lab. My materials courses heavily studied the electrical behavior of materials, especially how they relate to semiconductors and, to a lesser extent, transparency/opacity, thermal conductivity, superconductivity, polarization (in the optical sense), and why materials have electrical property X.

Come to think of it, I experimented extensively with electricity as a child, too, gaining first hand experience with the value of circuit breakers in the home, electrically-induced memory loss ("Wait...I was in the bedroom. How'd I get in the hallway, and upside down? Why is this half of the house dark? Does this have something to do with the paperclip I just stuck in the outlet?"), and how to safely short out wiring without numbing my arm or having another memory blackout (partially unplug an electrical appliance and drop scissors across the exposed prongs.) And all this before I was 3, no less.

I'm not someone who should be designing integrated circuits, but I've picked up something about basic electronics.

Black_Phoenix
10/25/01 04:15 PM

You took EE? Cool. Can you tell me where you went to college for that and can you also tell we what all they taught you?

I am planning on going into EE for college and I've been trying to find someone with first-hand experience. I am trying for the Milwaukee School of Enginnering (MSOE) since I've noticed that it seems to be a premier engineering college.

If you can give me this information I would appreciate it. Thanks for any help.

p.s. Yes, sticking a paperclip in the outlet might have something to do with the memory loss and the stop in the hallway. :D

Black_Phoenix
10/25/01 04:19 PM

Yep, I'm an idiot. No, not really. I'm just lacking in two things that other people have around here: training and experience. I can argue, though it tends to go nowhere, as I'm sure you've noticed. :P

CrayModerator
10/25/01 07:49 PM

>You took EE? Cool. Can you tell me where you went to college for that and can you also tell we what all they taught you?

My EE courses were on basic electromagnetic physics; a deeper rehash of what I covered in high school. I wasn't an EE long (1 quarter) before switching to ceramics and then broadening into materials engineering (too many ceramic profs were leaving or dying).

>I am planning on going into EE for college and I've been trying to find someone with first-hand experience. I am trying for the Milwaukee School of Enginnering (MSOE) since I've noticed that it seems to be a premier engineering college

Just a tip: if you have ANY sort of in-state scholarship, go to an in-state school. If you do, it doesn't matter what school I went to - free schools are better than pricey out-of-state schools with fancy names. Even if you don't, in-state students still get much better rates...Georgia Tech was about 1/3 as expensive for in-state students as what I paid. After assassinating Hitler in his crib, my first use of a time machine would be to smack some sense into my high school self so I'd go to an in-state school on a full scholarship. I HATE student loans. I could buy a Cadillac at credit card interest rates for what I'm paying for my student loans.

What do they teach you? What I covered was the usual electronics stuff in high school with a bit more attention to fancier components and more calculus. Inductors and transistors and simple logic circuits. I didn't get much into the fancy classes before switching majors. After that, I had an entirely materials perspective on electronics: why semi-conductors had useful bandgaps rather than what I could do with semi-conductors.

Have you taken electronics courses in high school yet?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10936

Contact Admins Sarna.net