The Lost First Battle of Hesperus II

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
soralroy
03/02/22 07:34 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A better method for taking out the Hesperus II factory would not be to launch a full scale war, but insert a small strike team to sabotage or destroy the factory.
ghostrider
03/05/22 11:44 AM

If I recall right, there have been multiple times where small units were sent in to sabotage the factories.
Others had small units try to soften up defenses in order to bring in a larger force as well.
I don't remember the names of them.

Now depending on what you call a small team, there is a story around that the FWL had sent in a company of mechs under low power on the dropship, and was supposed to raid the company, when they ran into a large dropship force around Hesperus II. They couldn't do much like try to maneuver, otherwise they would give themselves away, so went in for the mission. They failed, but the story said the high dropship count was due to a new unit being sent out to customers. I thought it was the Hunter Tank, but can't find the info at this time.

Small strikes probably happen more often then you would think, but they don't gain much discussion. The factory isn't like a simple car assembly line. It is huge. With just the mech lines, they would be more then 10 times the biggest car factory known. Then they got the vehicle lines. So taking out a single line wouldn't do much but slow production of that unit until they could fix it. It is very possible simple 'mechanical failure' is sabotage.

Also one more point to make. Defiance is the largest factory on the world, but not the only one. As Defiance is the main prize, the others are over looked, which makes them happy. They normally don't get messed with.
Karagin
03/05/22 09:10 PM

I doubt that Defiance has everything in ONE single factory, willing to be that they have many factories spread out over the planet..
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
03/06/22 01:20 AM

They built an engine factory on Edelburg or something like that.
But as for Hesperus II, I thought that all the manufacturing Defiance owned on world was in the mountain facility, but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong on something like that.

I just know in one of the novels, they talked about other companies that are on world, that are ignored as the main Defiance factory is the prize above all. It would make sense that as parts of the main factory was destroyed by the wars, something would have to get moved outside, or have to be imported all the time.
They do have a shipyard in the system, as they do make dropships. The Avenger being one made there, with the clan invasion Claymore being built there as well.

As for the approach to the main factory, the stories suggest heavy and assault mechs are at a major advantage, as the way in seems to be a long cut in the mountains. It is part of why I had suggested naval weapons could be sited down the road and just annihilate anything coming, but that is just a guess.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8007

Contact Admins Sarna.net