I mean the boy has his own money!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Nightward
01/30/03 02:30 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The Baron! Of course, the Baron

It depends on what State it is. In the Lyran Commonwealth, Federated Commonwealth, and to a lesser extent, the Free Worlds League, money always gains attention easier than nobles.

But if you go to such heirachical nations as the Capellan Confederation, Draconis Combine, or part of the FWL, nobles are always more important.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CrayModerator
01/30/03 06:01 AM

In reply to:

But if you go to such heirachical nations as the Capellan Confederation, Draconis Combine, or part of the FWL, nobles are always more important.

Though, IIRC, Ceres Metals all but owns a Capellan system, and its CEO or a local mega-manager is also the Duke.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Vapor
01/30/03 09:25 AM

And I thought I had dug up an old post. hehehe
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
CrayModerator
01/30/03 12:22 PM

Heh. I was half curious, but all the topics in the Mechwarrior RPG forum fit on one screen (on my computer), so it's just a matter of reading down one page.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Cadet
01/30/03 01:34 PM

Maybe, but I think that lip service aside, the upper nobility would be practical enough to do the necessary thing.
Does not play well with others.
Nightward
01/30/03 07:41 PM

It depends on who the nobles are, what house, and how much money is involved. It wouldn't even be a problem in the Combine, because all large industrial and commercial firms are state-owned or headed by members of the Kurita family.

Personally, if it came down to the impoverished Knight and the depicable, money-grubbing industrialist who has acquired and then downsized companies, raped worlds for their resources etc etc etc, I'd rather make friends with the Knight.

But if the situation was reversed, I'd go for the business man.

It depends on the situation, the people involved, the region, and how (un)scrupulous the person is in their pursuit of power.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
UncaRat
04/24/04 01:30 AM

Give them all a prize! All of you are right, just not all in the same place.

Tier #1 world
Major worlds in general will already have a wealthy minority, many will have or be related to those who have local titles. NOTE Dukes are NOT local titles. Dukes issue some local titles see below.

Tier #2 world
Average worlds will have a smaller but still present wealthy class but te size of the fortunes will be smaller. i.e. Bill Gates and Waren Buffet would fit right in.

THESE WORLDS HAVE FAIRLY REGULAR INTERSTELAR CONTACT IN 3005^

Tier #3 worlds
Middle tier worlds have lower technology, fewer schools and te wealthyest man to be found would have less real money than Bill Gates. i. e. available wealth, a factory is wealth but it isn't fluidly available.Interstelar contact might only be two or three times a year on no special schedual on the less prosperous worlds.

Tier #4 worlds
Lower tier worlds are probably making do with 19th century technology and only see one or two ships a year. Bill Gates would be unable to invest his fortune here, the planet is too poor to absorbe that much money.

Tier #5
Anything more isolated than this is really a Perif. world regardless of its loation with regards to its economy.

SOURCES OF NOBLE TITLES:

Grand Dukes, Archons, Princes ect. issue Dukedoms as needed, also Marquee (Spelling?) One to a planet. Marquee is used for worlds not considered important enough for a Duke.
A certain number of titles at lower ranks are issued when the Planet is founded and new ones are normaly created only for some need. i. e. a previously undeveloped area is opened for development by the Duke, usually 2 leevels or more below the Duke. If the line fails then the title reverts to the issuer, who may keep it or reissue it as they see fit.
A Duke would be able to issue a count level title on is own authority, a count could issue a Baronnet and any noble can in theory knight someone.
Part of the prestiege comes from the source of your families title and its age.

ALL OF THIS IS SUBJECT TO LOCAL INFLUENCES AND CULTURAL NORMS.

So as I said everybody is right somewhere
CrayModerator
04/24/04 09:02 AM

Quote:

Give them all a prize! All of you are right, just not all in the same place.

Interesting point, and interesting resurrection of a very old thread. I guess the MW forum doesn't move very fast on this board, does it?

UncaRat
08/07/04 01:24 AM

I'm new and I'm checking some of the old threads over. Better to find the answers if their there, and try to keep my foot out of my mouth.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
10/04/11 07:49 AM

I find this discussion about the ultra rich and noble argument intrusting. What is a noble but a person that has a **** load of money and power because of the wealth that can convince others that there more important than the so called commoners are. All noble titles are is smoke and mirrors. Throughout history noble tiles where thrown around so the powerful can stay powerful.

If a king had someone that was to powerful to be stepped on the king he would offer some title so said powerful person so he would work for the king and not against him because it would be to the powerful persons self interest to do so. The same works for BT.

Also during times of fanatical crises money can be gained by sailing noble titles. That happened quite a few times during the British Empire. Titles are cheap, weapons cost money!

9) Everybody who's ever tried to set up a personal empire in the Periphery has been wasting their time. Give me a better mouse trap to market in the FWL, LC, or FS (cheap fusion engines, frex) and in 5 decades I can be a Lord God Robber Baron Fusion Megacorp Mogul with 20 worlds effectively at my beck and call. Marian Hegemony, eat your heart out.

That's exactly the history that I am writing up for my character that controls Assinine Industries. Gain control of a system in the Periphery then built an empire manufacturing and selling weapon systems to the waring Enter Sphere states and other powers.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
12/29/11 07:40 PM

Thats similar to what some players I knew did. They had some missions where they found old production facilities for stuff out in the periphery that were abandoned (Bottling plants, Fusion engines, ect.) and decided to repair and use them instead of still fighting the mercenary lifestyle. The bottling plant was especially kooky- it was out near the Magistracy where fresh water was scarce, and the mercenary force eventually made enough money from it to be the most advanced unit in the periphery for equipment, bar-none.

A few bad rolls in the jihad really knocked em' down, tho.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/14/14 11:22 AM

To find what the GDP would in BT. I would say take the present annual percent increase and multiply the current WDP by that yearly percent and that might get you something near what the GNP would be.

On Furturama Fry had a couple of cents in his bank account in 2000 and in a thousand years 3000 he had billions in his account. I dont want to look up what episode it was in to get the numbers.

I would think a hundred Quadrillion dollar corporation would be a very tiny back world corporation.

I would say we would be looking at a GDP of something like in the high Octillions if not in the Nonillions.

This will give you names of numbers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 25664

Contact Admins Sarna.net