12th Lyran Guards
- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2021
- Why You Should Actually Trust BattleTech’s Mysteriously Short-Ranged Autocannons
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- Read more →
|12th Lyran Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||Prinz von Braunschweig-Oels (2765)|
|Parent Formation||Lyran Guards|
Star League Era
During the Star League era the 12th Lyran Guards was one of four regiments within the 2nd Lyran Guards Division, one of five Divisions of active regiments within the Lyran Guards brigade in the closing decades of the Star League's existence. Despite being the second-oldest Division within the Lyran Guards brigade, the Second was the smallest active Division by the mid-twenty-eighth century.
Like the other regiments of the Guards during this era, the 12th lacked any particular political ties - either regional or familial - unlike regiments in other brigades; commonly assigned to garrison postings, the 12th Lyran Guards and their sister regiments were postings of choice for those who wanted to work for the Commonwealth without either regional loyalties or particular ambitions. This led to the 12th and her sister regiments being manned by soldiers who were professional, but without the close-knit ties found in more parochial regiments. The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces was intent on generating more camaraderie and esprit de corps among the 12th and the other Guards regiments, but with little success by 2765.
Third Succession War
The 12th Lyran Guards were involved in an attack on the world of La Blon in 3021. The 39th Fire Company of the 12th - dubbed the "Fire Walkers" - landed on La Blon in October, grounding near a company from the elite independent Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery known as Sorenson's Sabres. The Sabres responded swiftly, deploying a Phoenix Hawk LAM piloted by MechWarrior Clay Moretti to scout out the Fire Walkers' position. The LAM was swiftly downed by the Fire Walkers' anti-air fire, only for the Sabres to launch a swift rescue operation. Captain Daniel Sorenson led his own command lance plus a pursuit lance in an attack against two lances from the Fire Walkers, breaking through the Lyran forces and retrieving Morettia and his Mech; among the Lyran losses was the Archer piloted by MechWarrior Amax Feeler III.
The Dark Age
The 12th Lyran Guards were reactivated during the Dark Age as a part of Archon Andrew Steiner's expansion of the LCAF. Shortly after Duke Vedet Brewer launched his coup the commanding officer of the 12th, Evander Hessan, disappeared. Rumors within the 12th persisted that Hessan had been assassinated by Loki for allegedly having ties to Brewer's conspiracy, and the 12th was then passed between a string of temporary commanders. The first permanent replacement for Hessan was Colonel Gertrude McBaine, a vocal supporter of Archon Trillian Steiner promoted to command the 12th after her actions in the 11th Lyran Guards during the Clan Wolf invasion of the Commonwealth. In 3145 the 12th was based on Vindemiatrix and was responsible for guarding a number of nearby worlds in the narrow sliver of space retained by the Commonwealth but surrounded by the Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone, the Galatean League and the Wolf Empire.
|Commanding Officers of the 12th Lyran Guards|
12th Lyran Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the 12th was based on Cavanaugh II.
2786 - 2821
12th Lyran Guards (Regiment/WtÊ/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Cavanaugh II. In 2821 the command was reduced to 42 percent of its strength and was deployed on Abramkovo. 
12th Lyran Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Abramkovo with an operational readiness of 89 percent.  The unit was destroyed during the war. 
12th Lyran Guards (Veteran/Reliable)
CO: Leutnant General Gertrude McBaine
7th Vindemiatrix Infantry (Regular/Reliable)
CO: Colonel Karen Woods
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 13-14, "Lyran Guards"
- Sorenson's Sabres, p. 46-47, "The Protector"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 125, "Lyran Guards"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 133, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces - Donegal Province"
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 139
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 99