15th Army (Star League)
|Parent Command||Star League Defense Force|
Administered from the Army Headquarters on Hassi R'mel, the 15th Army enjoyed a relatively quiet posting prior to the Periphery Uprising; responsible for guarding the Periphery border of the Draconis Combine, the 15th's area of responsibility was comprised largely of peaceful, underdeveloped worlds. The main action seen by the 15th involved challenges from DCMS ronin, particularly on and around New Samarkand, the former capital of the Combine.
The 15th's headquarters on Hassi R'Mel was in the Kagoshima Prefecture of the Draconis Combine. This was useful in a strategic sense as most of the Combine's JumpShip traffic (civilian and military) would pass through the system on their way to other Prefectures. This allowed the SLDF forces to keep their finger on the pulse of the Combine. The Draconis Rift, an area the 15th Army was responsible for guarding, was a desolate area with few inhabited worlds. Most of the stars here were small red and orange stars. These small stars were dim and made it difficult for JumpShips to recharge efficiently. To respond, the 15th added recharge stations in the Rift. These stations and the few bright stars in the region were heavily guarded by the 15th's component commands.
When the Uprising engulfed the Periphery, the 15th Army was rapidly deployed into the Outworlds Alliance in support of the 18th Army; over the course of the two years of conflict, the 15th lost ten divisions and two independent regiments in combat, with another two divisions ultimately being disbanded due to casualty levels. This meant that, at the time of Stefan Amaris' coup on Terra, the 15th was operating at roughly sixty-five percent of full combat strength.
During Operation CHIEFTAIN, the Fifteenth formed a portion of the Seventeenth Army Group. In July and August of 2772, the command attacked the worlds of Bharat, Hamal, Nopah and Yangtze as part of the first thrust of the first wave into the Terran Hegemony. The subordinate XV Corps faced considerable resistance on Bharat—after quickly securing their initial targets—when export armaments were turned against them. Hamal and Nopah were not major challenges for XL Corps, though the occupation timeline had to be adjusted to deal with some regions that had to be resecured on Hamal. A similar delay was experienced by XXIII Corps on Yangtze, in order to deal with defenders operating among the local communities.
On Terra, no earlier than the northern hemisphere's 2779 springtime, Fifteenth Army (with the Seventeenth Army Group) was to target a drop into Iceland, followed by a move to Greenland, with minimal opposition anticipated.
|Commanding Officers of the 15th Army (Star League)|
- When General Dimitry Barrios took command, the 15th Army would show up at a hotspot in far greater numbers than it needed to completely overpower its foe.
Corps of the 15th Army
- The Star League, p. 141, "Fifteenth Army"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 44, "Fifteenth Army"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 179
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 120, "Operation Chieftain: SLDF Order of Battle"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 131, "High Hopes"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation Liberation Wave 1 (July 2772 - December 2774)"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 133, "Seventeenth Army Group"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 134, "Follow-On Actions"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 96, "North American Landings (January 2779-June2779"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 97, "Troops Involved In the Outworlds Uprising"