17th Fleet (SLDF)
- Community Outreach - Michael At Metal Core Collectibles Talks About 3D Printing And Making Fan Designs
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May 2020
- "Mech Merc Company" - A Love Letter To MechWarrior 2, Now On Steam Early Access
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2020
- What ‘Mech Would You Survive The Coronavirus Outbreak In?
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Parent Formation||SLDF Naval Command|
One of the SLDF Naval Command's independent Fleets, the Seventeenth Fleet spent a number of years on extended bandit-hunting operations; as relations between the Free Worlds League and the Star League became increasingly turbulent under the reign of Captain-General Ewan Marik the Seventeenth was redeployed into the Free Worlds League, where its expertise in battling smuggling operations and other clandestine activities running via pirate points was put to use on behalf of the SLDF. The Seventeenth found itself working to ensure a steady stream of supplies to SLDF forces deployed within the League, a situation that continued after Kenyon Marik became Captain-General in 2763 up until the need for additional forces to combat the Periphery Uprising saw the Seventeenth deployed into the Magistracy of Canopus.
Using their experience in hunting pirates and bandits, the Seventeenth found several new delivery routes to the SDLF forces that they supplied. This was done so the Fleet wouldn't run into Free Worlds League naval vessels and possibly find itself in an unwanted conflict. The Fleet also escorted supply runs to insure that the FWL Navy didn't interfere with their delivery schedule. The Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, and Seventeenth armies would all have to abandon their positions if the Seventeenth didn't escort their supply ships. They would simply be starved out of their posts. When not on a supply run or bandit hunting operation, the Seventeenth was homeported at Connaught's Rookery Drydocks.
|Commanding Officers of the 17th Fleet (SLDF)|
The Seventeenth Fleet was comprised of four active squadrons immediately prior to the Amaris Civil War:
- 171st Reconnaissance Squadron (The Sherlock Holmes Squadron)
- 172nd Interdiction Squadron (The Young Knives)
- CO: Vice Admiral Hilary Yamano
- 173rd Escort Squadron (The Marvelous Manta Rays)
- CO: Vice Admiral Melvin Christie
- 174th Line Squadron (The Alpha Cygni Squadron)
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 48, "Seventeenth Fleet"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 208