1st Alarion Jaegers
- "Mech Merc Company" - A Love Letter To MechWarrior 2, Now On Steam Early Access
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2020
- What ‘Mech Would You Survive The Coronavirus Outbreak In?
- MechCombat from Ralph H. Reed
- Catalyst, Coronavirus, And Clan Invasions - Interview With BattleTech Art Director Brent Evans
- Read more →
|1st Alarion Jaegers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Parent Formation||Alliance Jaegers|
The 1st Alarion Jaegers were a House Steiner house unit formed during mid 31st Century under the reign of Archon-Princess Katrina Steiner-Davion. The unit was created to protect the Alarion Province of the Lyran Alliance after that province was organized.
Personnel for the 1st Alarion Jaegars, as were the Jaegers as a whole, were drawn from a variety of Lyran units as part of Archon's Order 573023, with extrovert unit CO Julie Hoffman one of the most popular commanders in the Donegal Broadcasting Corporation "Fighting for Peace" propaganda series and attracting steady public support for and applications to join her unit. Integrating such a large and disparate band into a single whole was a challenge to which the unit's command staff excelled at, with the newly formed Jaegers passing their combat-readiness test in less than eight months, followed by reaching regimental status ten months later. With the permission of the LAAF high command, the 1st Alarion CO worked closely with her fellow officers to build a solid working relationship with the Alarion Naval Academy and the War College of Buena, allowing them to directly offer positions within the 1st to both academy's top graduates.  
The Jaegers first real action outside twice monthly exercises were civil defense operations intended to limit anti-Katherine rebellion on the seat of the Alliance's naval program, the most notable being code named Cleansweep taking place in 3062 in the wake of increased tensions on Solaris VII. As rioting on Alarion's capital of Craiova escalated out of control, the Jaegers and Alarion APM were dispatched only to come under sniper fire resulting in the death of three infantry troopers before they could restore order. Colonel Hoffman ordered the arrest and incarceration of three hundred civilians suspects, which triggered an outcry from the public. Though the protests against the LAAF and Archon ultimately calmed down, while Cleansweep was militarily sound, the actions of Colonel Hoffman and the 1st had undid most of the public relations benefits of "Fighting for Peace".  
Feeling the formerly positive attention around her turn negative and believing that Cleansweep showed her unit was ill-suited to civil defense and policing actions on Alarion, Hoffman requested the 1st Alarion be transferred to garrison the Mountain Wolf BattleMechs facilities on the nearby world of Vendrell. Provincial Commander Hauptmann-General Peter Zenger took this under advisement, but ordered the 1st to remain on station on Alarion. 
FedCom Civil War
The Alarion Jaegers didn't see much action in the early part of the Civil War. They spent most of the early waves moving to reinforce strategic positions. Later the 1st Alarion Jaegers were one of the involved and effective Loyalist units in the FedCom Civil War as part of the famous 11th Arcturan Guards led battlegroup, seeing action in some of the most significant battles in the Alliance as well as the fighting on Tikonov in the Federated Suns. After that action they were tasked to liberate Skye from the latest Free Skye rebellion, but these orders were later countermanded and the unit was ordered to reinforce Tharkad. In March 3064, the Jaegers joined Task Force 11A where they attempted to trap Victor Steiner-Davion and his accompanying troops. There they attacked the Outland Legion's second battalion, and they were part of a major Loyalist victory. Later they took part in the fighting on Tharkad where they a months long mobile campaign against the Kell Hounds. This conflict led to the near total destruction of the unit, with only two lances of 'Mechs left intact while the supporting armor and infantry units were down to less than one tenth and one third of their original strength. While all but destroyed by the Civil War and despite its significant role in opposing him, the unit's performance lead Archon Peter Steiner-Davion himself to authorize the 1st Alarion Jaegers be rebuilt. While the reborn unit and its CO pledged their support to Peter, the LAAF High Command had questioned the credibility. 
The still rebuilding 1st Alarion Jaegers, a mere 15% of their pre-Civil War strength, were stationed on Alarion when a Word of Blake task force hit the planet. The unit's base of operations outside of the planet's capital city was totally erased by the Blakist nuclear strikes from orbit. The later sterilisation of the planet by bio-weapon attack left no survivors of the unit or the world's population.
|Commanding Officers of the 1st Alarion Jaegers|
|Colonel||Julie Hoffman||3057 - 3067|
- Colonel Julie Hoffman held the post since the 1st's formation. One of the principal focuses of the "Fighting for Peace" propaganda series, the charming if extroverted Hoffman was delighted with the positive attention she received initially, less so when the media turned against her after Cleansweep. Hoffman successfully led the 1st through the maelstrom until she died in battle on Tharkad. 
- Colonel Helen Johannes had been Julie Hoffman's aide.
The unit has developed its combat doctrine around the use of Combined Arms. Using the unit's two infantry companies and single Armor Company to pin down the enemy combatants while 'Mech Battalions attack the pinned down foe from the flanks or rear. The integral Air Wing is highly proficient at supporting their land-based units with air-to-ground attacks.
Abilities as of 3062: The Alarion Jaegers may use the off-map movement special ability and it gains +1 to its initiative any turn that has the enemy using improved positions or gun emplacements. For RPG purposes, any player character in this force gains the Bad Reputation trait.
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 49 - "1st Alarion Jaegers Unit Profile".
- Era Report: 3062, p. 35 "1st Alarion Jaegers
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 69
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 89
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 126
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 176
- Storms of Fate, p. 19, the Jaegers fight on York
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 176
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 167 "1st Alarion Jaegers"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, p. 45
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 130, "Special Force Rules" - 1st Alarion Jaegers special abilities and negative attributes for RPG characters.