1st Capellan Defense Force
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Cauldron's Bear_cl4w and Krasnopesky Talk MechWarrior Online
- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Read more →
|First Capellan Defense Force|
|Previous Designation(s)||Stapleton's Grenadiers|
|Parent Command|| Capellan Defense Force|
- 1 Description
- 2 History
- 3 Officers
- 4 Tactics
- 5 Unit Emblem
- 6 Composition History
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
Formerly known as Stapleton's Grenadiers.
The First Capellan Defense Force was raised in 3001 from the personal resources and retainers of Lady Margaret "Bloody Mary" Stapleton for the express purpose of destroying House Marik. Essentially a private army under the personal command of Lady Stapleton, the Grenadiers silenced critics by consistently outperforming expectations. Severely damaged and disgraced during the failed invasion of Sarna in 3057, the regiment was given a new life, brigade and name under the Xin Sheng movement in 3060.
Lady Margaret Stapleton's family and parents were killed during a Free Worlds League raid on Exedor. Devoting the rest of her life to avenge her loss, Lady Stapleton petitioned the Chancellor for the privilege of raising a regiment. Financed by her own money and composed of her family retainers with herself as Commanding Officer, Stapleton's Grenadiers came into existence in 3001 as an instrument for the destruction of House Marik.
3rd Succession War
-3008 - A Maskirovka failure led the Grenadiers into an ambush on Sorunda. Believing a Marik double-agent that a smaller force was on-planet and lacking the aerospace assets to confirm it, Stapleton's Grenadiers found three Atrean Dragoons regiments instead. Only the bravery of the Third Battalion fighting to the last man allowed the regiment to escape.
The massive losses on Sorunda have forced the Grenadiers to withdraw from the FWL border. Rebuilding has been slowed by a lack of finances and spare parts but Lady Stapleton was still eager for a fight.
-3021 - On March of that year Arian's Demons, a company from the First battalion of the unit raided Manteno to seize a NAIS facility that investigated on geological activities. They wiped the defending forces, Dasarick's Knights, the local Duke's private 'Mech company and razed the NAIS complex, though they only were able to steal a small amount of marginal data.
4th Succession War
-3057 - Stapleton's Grenadiers and the Tooth of Ymir invaded Sarna as part of Operation Guerrero. They were outnumbered by the defending Kaifeng SMM, the 1st Battalion of the Sarna Martial Academy Cadre and the Grim Determination mercenary regiment. Quickly losing air superiority to the aerospace cadets of the Academy, the badly damaged Grenadiers soon found themselves pushed back to the dropships. Colonel William Asselin and his command staff formed a last stand while the regiment retreated off the planet. This left the Tooth of Ymir all alone and they surrendered when they learned they couldn't leave.
Xin Sheng Campaign
-3060 - As the Xin Sheng movement permeated the military, the Strategios expanded the Capellan Defense Force to include BattleMech regiments. Stapleton's Grenadiers were renamed the 1st Capellan Defense Force and added to the new brigade as the military's symbol of rebirth and a fresh start.
-3062 - The First Capellan Defense Force was on New Sagan when the 1st St. Ives Lancers led by Kai Allard-Liao raided the planet. While the battle was inconclusive, the hovertanks of the CDF regiment performed impressively.
-3066 - While on another four-month tour in the Chaos March, Little Richard's Panzer Brigade was virtually destroyed on Genoa and Arboris by the Twelfth Vegan Rangers. This necessitated the early return of the 1st CDF to the Liao Commonality in case any further AFFS attacks were made. When none occurred, the regiment returned to the Capella Commonality.
Stationed on Capella alongside the Holdfast Guard since the start of the Jihad in 3068, the 1st Capellan Defense Force spent the entirety of it's garrison time without seeing combat. The numerous raids conducted by the Word of Blake Militia on the planet occurred at locations where the 1st CDF weren't. Thus while the Holdfast Guard and the other defenders were whittled down by attrition, the 1st CDF still remained at full strength.
-3075 - The 1st Capellan Defense Force was sent to garrison Sian following the reassignment of the Red Lancers and Warrior House Imarra to offensive operations. Fortunately or unfortunately, the Word of Blake had ceased their Sian invasions by that time and the regiment did not see any combat.
-3079 - The First Capellan Defense Force garrisoned Sian. Having spent over a decade without seeing any combat during two wars that both threatened the existence of the Capellan Confederation, many CDF warriors were frustrated and enraged. Only the honor of garrisoning the capital of the realm has kept the regiment from acting independently.
-3081 - Finding the Capellan Defense Force at peak strength with an abundance of extra equipment on Capella, the Strategios decided to vastly expand the brigade by adding three new regiments. About a battalion of the most aggressive Grenadiers were then transferred to form the 6th Capellan Defense Force.
-3085 - Soon after arriving to their garrison post on Ares, the 3rd Battalion led by Zhong-shao Alice Stapleton raided Shoreham. The far heavier machines of the defending Forty-second Avalon Hussars LCT could not catch the Capellans and the 1st CDF battalion left the world with several tons of captured autocannon ammunition and coolant.
-3141 - The First and Second Capellan Defense Force raided New Delos and surrounded the Iron Guard at the planetary capital. The 1st CDF breached the city's fortifications and advanced under a rolling artillery barrage supplied by the enthusiastic 2nd CDF. Refusing to surrender, the Iron Guard were completely destroyed in about four hours of brutal urban combat.. To add salt to the wound, the Steel Guard arrived just in time to see the Capellan regiments leave.
In 3141, the First CDF also raided Ipswich. During this raid, the Ducal Guard air wing ambushed the approaching Capellans and disabled most of their escorting fighters. The 1st CDF landed and faced the Eighth Oriente Hussars while being strafed by the Guard ASF as well. After the 8th Oriente Hussars own aerospace support arrived, the Capellan force withdrew but not before having two Union dropships captured. Despite the material losses, it appeared few lives were lost.
|Commanding Officers of the 1st Capellan Defense Force|
|Lady||Margaret Stapleton||3001 - 3025|
- Lady Margaret Stapleton was the unit founder.
- Sang-shao Gary Weinrib was one of the few survivors of the Sarna attack and winner of the Liao Sunburst of Gallantry.
Stapleton's Grenadiers relied on their aerospace wing to weaken the enemy before committing BattleMechs and armor into the battle. They are also trained to fight during the night with the Second Battalion usually sent as raiders supported by aerospace fighters.
-3025 - A broken lance gripped in a mailed fist on a red and gold field.
-3063 - A green inverted triangle with circles at each corner, set against the outline of a larger triangle in beige.
- CO: Colonel Margaret Stapleton
- 1st Battalion: Major Will Blackthorne
- 2nd Battalion: Major Philip Porter
- 3rd Battalion: Major Chang Rho Kim
3063 to 3067
- CO: Sang-shao Gary Weinrib
- XO 1st Battalion: Zhong-shao Alexander Zivojinovic
- 2nd Battalion: Zhong-shao John Rutsey
- 3rd Battalion: Zhong-shao B.J. Pratt
- Wing Commander: Kong-zhong-shao Alec "Bounty" Bain
- Armor Commander: Zhong-shao Eric Jarra
- Infantry Commander: Zhong-shao Lamont Forschault
- Infantry Commander (3067): Zhong-shao Terrence Bearpaw.
Due to the timing of the Jihad, the First Capellan Defense Force is one of the few Capellan units to emerge unscathed. They are at 100% of their pre-Jihad strength.
First Capellan Defense Force (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Gary Weinrib
First Capellan Defense Force Aerospace (Wing/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Wai Ching Yip
New Sagan Armor Auxiliaries (2 Battalions/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Etienne Morel)
First Capellan Defense Force Infantry (2 Battalions/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Jimmy Baker
1st Capellan Defense Force (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Sebastian Stapleton
First Capellan Defense Force Aerospace (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Tak Cheung Sin
New Sagan Armor Auxiliaries (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Zhong-shao Tuketu Shakopee
1st CDF Infantry (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Montrelle Estrada
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 76, "Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 27, "General Review"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 28, "THE NEW OLD-FASHIONED WAY"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 92, "Stapleton's Grenadiers Profile"
- BattleCorps Scenarios: Scenario: Hot Time in the Hot Zone
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 106, "Capellan Reserves"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 103
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 88
- Chaos March (sourcebook), p. 13
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 119
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 23, "Capellan Defense Force Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 32, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 12
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 29
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 33, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 40
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 108
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, p. 44
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 46, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3145"
- 20 Year Update, p. 63, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p.106
- 20 Year Update
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: CCAF
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League
- Chaos March (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: 3145
- Scenario: Hot Time in the Hot Zone (scenario)