1st Donegal Guards
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|First Donegal Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Nickname||Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers|
|Parent Formation||Donegal Guards|
The Donegal Guards brigade predated the Lyran Commonwealth, having been formed originally as the military of the Protectorate of Donegal, one of the three proto-states that existed prior to the formation of the Commonwealth in 2341, and the First Donegal Guards were the lead regiment of the brigade. Like the other early regiments of the Guards the First were named for a regiment from Terran history that shared the largely Irish heritage of the Protectorate; in the case of the First, this regiment was the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Star League Era
Like the other regiments of the Donegal Guards the First enjoyed access to the best equipment found outside of the Royal Guards brigade during the Star League era, and was staffed largely with officers looking to advance through their leadership abilities and grasp of strategic skills, rather than through the political favoritism that often held sway in other formations.
In 2765 the First were still recuperating from the damage the regiment had taken during Operation CATALOG, a wide-scale operation conducted by the Lyran Commonwealth in an attempt to detect and disrupt interstellar criminal cartels. The First had fought well on Ilzra under the command of Colonel Pierre Dumas, but links between Colonel Dumas and a local criminal cartel that came to light after a company from the First had taken heavy damage during a battle at the secondary spaceport on Ilzra led to Dumas' being removed command, as the two may have been connected. Dumas' successor, Colonel Gunter Kirisaka, worked hard to move the regiment on from the events on Ilzra after he had assumed command and the regiment had been recalled to Donegal; Lyran authorities appeared to be content that the corruption uncovered on Ilzra had only affected Dumas and his immediate staff.
|Commanding Officers of the 1st Donegal Guards|
- First Donegal Guards (Regiment/Elite/Fanatical)
- - At this point the First was stationed on Donegal.
2786 - 2821
1st Donegal Guards (Regiment/Elite/f) 
- Note: At this point in time the assault-weight unit was stationed on Donegal. In 2821 the command was reduced to 32' percent of its strength and was deployed on Donegal. 
1st Donegal Guards (Regiment/Elite/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the heavy-weight unit was stationed on Donegal with an operational readiness of 79 percent.  The unit was destroyed during the war. 
- The First Donegal Guards do not appear to have survived the Succession Wars.
- The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were an Irish regiment within the British Army, created from the amalgamation of the 27th (Enniskillen) Regiment of Foot and the 108th Regiment of Foot as a part of the 1881 Childers reforms; the 27th could trace its lineage back to Tiffin's Regiment of Foot, formed in or around 1689, while the 108th Regiment of Foot had originally been formed in 1854 as the 3rd Madras (European) Regiment by the East India Trading Company. The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were amalgamated into the Royal Irish Rangers in 1968, along with the Royal Ulster Rifles and the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
- Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765, p. 10-11, "Donegal Guards"
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 139
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 99