1st Liao Guards
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|First Liao Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||The Cynthiana Highlanders |
|Parent Formation||Liao Guards|
|Disbanded||First Succession War|
The First Liao Guards were the first unit formed of their brigade. They were also the first unit sent to the Periphery border when Chancellor Warex Liao ordered the Liao Guards to improve. They spent forty years undergoing a massive training program that turned them from a useless parade ground unit into competent soldiers. They still retained their parade ground competence, but they were also capable of fighting battles and winning them.
First Succession War
During the First Succession War the First fought the Free Worlds League Military's invasion of the Sarna Commonality. They were highly effective in this role, and forced the FWLM to use nuclear weapons to destroy them.
Dark Age Era
The First Liao Guards were reformed sometime before Operation GREAT FLOOD as one of the Hidden Lion regiments resurrected by Chancellor Daoshen Liao using stockpiled equipment. The new Liao Guards used the Augmented Regiment formations commonly found in the CCAF by 3145. They were a front-line regiment of the Tikonov Commonality.
Operation GREAT FLOOD
During Operation GREAT FLOOD, the First Liao Guards landed on Styk, New Canton, and Zion after other CCAF regiments captured the planets. They then hunted down the remaining RAF stragglers and pacified the worlds. They later served as the garrison for the planet Liao soon after its capture and received a victory parade in Cynthiana from an elated public.
Operation CELESTIAL REWARD
The only Liao Guards regiment to participate in Operation CELESTIAL REWARD, the First Liao Guards were assigned to capture several former Republic worlds annexed by the Federated Suns. Victorious against the usually ad hoc garrisons found on these planets, the Liao Guards were easily defeated by the defending Third Federated Suns Armored Cavalry on Rio. They would later return to capture the planet after the Third FSAC redeployed to counter the ongoing Draconis Combine invasion.
As part of Operation TIAMAT the First Liao Guards assaulted Epsilon Indi in August 3149 alongside Warrior House Dai Da Chi. Initially stymied by the shell-games of the Thirteenth Hastati and other Republican defenders, prisoner interrogations by House Dai Da Chi informed the Liao Guards that only a battalion of the Thirteenth was defending the capital and spaceport. Over the next week the Guards hammered the Thirteenth with air strikes before overwhelming the Republican defenders.
|Commanding Officers of the 1st Liao Guards|
Lack of experience has made the First Liao Guards dependent on their numbers and technology to achieve victory.
First Liao Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical) 
First Liao Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the First was a medium-weight regiment operating at full strength and was stationed on Liao. The unit was destroyed during the war. .
First Liao Guards (Veteran/Reliable)(85% Strength)
- CO: Sang-shao Elliot Liao-Subramanya
Liao’s Banshees (Veteran/Fanatical)(90% Strength)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Cesaro Amaro
Highlander Tank Regiment (Regular/Fanatical)(80% Strength)
- CO: Zhong-shao Cody Truesdell
Cynthiana Highland Infantry (Regular/Fanatical)(85% Strength)
- CO: Zhong-shao Weisheng Weng
- The unit had a "A" Equipment Rating. They had numerous Assassins, Firebees, Riflemans and Wolverines.
Color Scheme and Unit Insignia
The Han character for Liao on an inverted green triangle.
- Field Report 2765: Capellan Confederation, p. 11
- Tenth Succession War (Source Book), p. 136, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces (CCAF) - Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 35
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 27, "General Review"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 28, "THE NEW OLD-FASHIONED WAY"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 72, "Third Federated Suns Armored Cavalry"
- Shattered Fortress, p. 72
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 47
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 28, "Sarna and Tikonov Commonalities"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 29, "Sian Commonality"