- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|2nd Drakøns Regiment|
|Unit Profile (as of 3050)|
The Second Drakøns was a BattleMech regiment formed to defend the Free Rasalhague Republic during the Thirty-First Century. The unit by the same name would later be formed by Clan Ghost Bear to honor this one.
Formation and The Ronin War
Established in 3034, the Drakøns regiments were populated by some of the most experienced troops available to the KungsArmé. Given their experience and their unit weight, the Drakøns were assigned to protect the Republic's province capital worlds. Revised version.
The unit’s first combat action came during the last days of the Ronin War, in the Predlitz system. Once formed, the 2nd Drakøns were ordered to relieve the battered 1st Tyr, which had been fighting the 8th Rasalhague Regulars and the 12th Sun Zhang Academy Cadre in the system since June 3034. When the 2nd Drakøns arrived in August, the Ronin units had been driven off of Predlitz proper to the moon of Krakau. The Drakons rerouted on their approach and assaulted the battered Ronin units, suffering heavy casualties in the process . The battle came to a head in the tunnels of a mining colony, when Sho-sho Sven Johannsen of the 8th Rasalhague Regulars was stopped just short of blowing the mine’s main fusion reactor by Löjtnant Kristof Martens of the Drakøns.
After destroying the Ronin units on Krakau, the 2nd Drakøns spent the rest of the war on Predlitz engaged in mop up operations. 
The Clan Invasion and regiment's destruction
In March 3050, Second Drakøns had been assigned to garrison the world of New Caledonia, when Clan Wolf arrived in system as part of their Operation Revival. Arriving in system, the Rasalhague forces mustered to help defend New Caledonia. The regiment engaged elements of Alpha Galaxy's 328th Assault Cluster. The regiment would take heavy losses as it withdrew to the continental capital of Redfev with aid of the Eighth Militia Infantry Regiment, and two armor tank regiments consisting of the First and Fourth Militia Tank Regiments. The orderly withdrawal to Redfev cost the unit two battalions worth of troops. Losing badly, the regiment's commander ordered the unit to it's DropShips and retreat to Rasalhague.
Working with a battalion from the 2nd Kell Hounds, the 2nd Drakøns’s 3rd Battalion met Wolf Clan forces from the 328th Assault Cluster on their own terms at Verthandi in an attempt to gain more intelligence about the Clans. They set up recording equipment on Prince William Island, then answered the Wolf unit’s formal challenge, asking that the battle take place on that island. The Wolf units agreed, and the Kell Hounds and Drakøns fought well, but they were ultimately forced to retreat. During the battle, an Elemental Star broke through to the rear and ruined the recording equipment. After this battle, the 2nd Drakøns once again retreated to Rasalhague. 
In July, Clan Wolf launched the third wave of it's invasion plan, arriving with a fleet of Jumpships in the Rasalhague star system. General Christian Månsdottir was the commander of the defending troops, which included the Second Drakøns' surviving battalion of Battlemechs among the mustered defenders waiting action near planet's capital city of Reykjavik. The unit was also backed up by an additional regiment of light class Battlemechs piloted by aging MechWarrior who had been called up from retirement along three regiments of combat vehicles and mechanized infantry.
By the 8th, the Wolves forces had landed across the planet, however stayed way from Second's positions at the capital city. Over the coming weeks, the Freeman and other units would be attacked and be defeated the by Wolves. The Fourth Wolf Guard who had taken northern city of Asgard, had been coming contact with the Second. By the 12th of July General Månsdottir would order the Drakøns to fall back to the city and prepare for what could be the final battle.
On July 15th Second and the First would unite their strengths fight Wolves who were now arriving to take the capital. From their conquest of cities of Ymir and Tyr, the Wolves redeployed the 352nd Assault and 279th Battle Clusters. The Second Drakøns would engage in a two day battle in the streets of Reykjavik, which lead to the destruction of seventy percent of the city. Fighting with no mercy, regiment brought on their own destruction with their fanatical attitude. By not fighting honorable, willing risk civilian lives, Wolves obliged the Drakøns and too fought with no mercy. The last of Second Drakøns with its sister regiment would die in ruins of the Riksdag Complex, where Republic's government once resided.
|Commanding Officers of the 2nd Drakøns|
Other Unit Officers
- Second Drakøns (BattleMech Regiment) [Veteran Skilled|Fanatical Loyalty]
- Unit Notes: The unit is stationed on New Caledonia.
Early history of the Second Drakøns is limited to a brief appearance during the Ronin War in 3034 at the time of formation and brief references mentioned in Clan Wolf sourcebook. As of this time, there no unit listing for it aside from sources listed in this article.
- 20 Year Update, p. 51
- Historical: Bush Wars, p. 121 Deployment Tables for July-October 3034
- Historical: Bush Wars, p. 115 End of Honor (August-October 3034) Predlitz - Second Drakøns first significant record battle of the regiment's history.
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook, pg. 58 New Caledonia March 3050 - Second Drakøns withdraw to Rasalhague after taking heavy losses.
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook, pg. 59 Verthandi May 3050 - Attemped Intelligence Gathering at Prince William Island.
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook, pp.35-36 Rasalhague: the Attack - Second Drakøns withdraw to Rasalhague after taking heavy losses.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 163, "Rasalhague Dominion/Tundra Galaxy" - Second Drakøns noted for their combined arms mentality, retaining cluster's mentality of using Melee weapons like hatchets.
- 20 Year Update, p. 51 Rasalhague Providence - Unit Commanding Officer Noted.
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade Print Edition, p. 14 "Scenario 1: Gathering Intel (planetary Invasion)"
- 20 Year Update, p. 51 Rasalhague Kungsare/Rasalhague Providence - 2nd Drakons status as of 3050 prior to the Clan Invasion.