2nd New Hessen Irregulars
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|2nd New Hessen Irregulars: New Kids On The Block|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|CO||Colonel Pat Hampton|
The Second New Hessen Irregulars were a mercenary unit raised in the Capellan Confederation.
In the Fourth Succession War the Second Irregulars fought the 2nd New Ivaarsen Chasseurs when they landed on New Hessen in 3028. The Chasseurs ignored the Irregulars at first and were able to take the city of Buchvaal. When the Second Irregulars entered the city to assault the AFFS unit, the Chasseurs inflicted massive losses on the Irregulars.
Re-formed in 3066 as part of Hampton's Hessens, the Second New Hessen Irregulars are 100% battle ready, but haven't seen any real combat as of 3067. This changed at the outbreak of the Jihad. The long trip home quickly raised their skill level from Green to Veteran.
Their first contract was with the LAAF to garrison Thorin. When the Jihad started a few months later, the Word of Blake destroyed much of Hampton's Hessens. The survivors were ordered to Galatea, where they linked up with the rest of the Hessen Irregulars.
The Hessen Irregulars made plans to return to New Hessen, and took many smaller mercenary units and civilians along with them. The trip took many months, because the Hessens lacked complete JumpShip assets, but as they faced Blakist forces, casualties quickly reduced the flotilla's size. Their largest loss took place in the New Canton system, where the Irregulars were forced to abandon a battalion of friendly troops. A few weeks later they arrived at New Hessen and found a strong garrison in place. The local government had built up a massive defense garrison, and the Hessens were quickly rebuilt. They then jumped to New Canton and dropped every BattleMech into the Blakist's garrison and re-education camps while fighters destroyed static defenses and opened holes in the camp walls. As the Irregulars' DropShips landed outside the city, General Hampton led a fighting withdrawal to protect the refugees from the Word of Blake forces. The brutal close range fighting cost the Irregulars a battalion of troops, but they rescued the battalion of soldiers they had to abandon earlier and hundreds of refugees.
In 3085 they were stationed on New Hessen, under contract to the Federated Suns.
|Commanding Officers of the 2nd New Hessen Irregulars|
|Colonel||Pat "Ton" Hampton||3067|
The Second Irregulars have begun to hone their urban fighting skills.
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Pat "Ton" Hampton
- XO/2nd Battalion: Major Tom Mardul
- 3rd Battalion: Major Paul Buchwald
- The unit is 60% upgraded and fields a mix of heavy and light 'Mechs, with a few mediums.
- The Fourth Succession War Scenarios Volume One, p. 10
- The Fourth Succession War Scenarios Volume One, p. 11
- Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 43, "2nd New Hessen Irregulars Unit Profile"
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 64, "Hampton's Hessens Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 160
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 107, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3025"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p.107