2nd Regulan Hussars
- June News Roundup 2020 - Supplemental
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June 2020
- Did You Know? Other Games Come And Go, But MechWarrior: Living Legends Is Here To Stay
- Community Outreach - Michael At Metal Core Collectibles Talks About 3D Printing And Making Fan Designs
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May 2020
- Read more →
|Second Regulan Hussars|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||The Penitents/The Vindicated|
|Parent Formation||Regulan Hussars|
- 1 Unit Description
- 2 History
- 2.1 Formation
- 2.2 Reunification War
- 2.3 Star League Era
- 2.4 Early Succession Wars
- 2.5 Fourth Succession War and Andurien Secession
- 2.6 Intermediate Years of the Clan Invasion Era
- 2.7 Gibson Crisis
- 2.8 In Exile to the Periphery
- 2.9 Jihad
- 2.10 Dark Age
- 3 Officers
- 4 Tactics
- 5 Composition History
- 6 Notes
- 7 Rules
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
The unit was first formed in the 25th Century, where it served as early test bed unit for BattleMechs. Fighting under principality's House Selaj ruling family, the unit initial years with other two Regiments of early BattleMech design proved to be initially unreliable usage.
The Second Regulan Hussars was one of six regiments chosen to serve in the 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps formed in 2581 to support the Star League Defense Force when the Star League decided to intervene in the civil war that had been raging inside the Rim Worlds Republic since 2575.
The 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps incorporated the Second Hussars along with the Second Defenders of Andurien, the Second and Sixth Marik Militias and the First and Second Brigades of the Fusiliers of Oriente. The 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps was one of a number of Corps that made up Task Force MAILED FIST, the military component of Operation MAILED FIST, the Star League operation within the Rim Worlds Republic between 2581 and 2596 and would serve alongside the Draconis Auxiliary Corps, the Lyran Auxiliary Corps and the SLDF IV Corps, VI Corps and VIII Corps.
The Second Hussars spent the bulk of Operation MAILED FIST operating alongside the Defenders of Andurien and the Second Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente. Together, the three regiments would fight campaigns on Urjala in 2583, Kitopler in 2586, New India in 2587, Slewis in 2590 and Toland in 2593. The Defenders of Andurien and the Hussars went on to fight on Apollo in 2596, but the Fusiliers remained on Toland.
The campaign to secure Urjala saw the Hussars fighting against the same battalion from the Fourth Amaris Fusiliers that had successfully conducted a very damaging raid on at the main spaceport facility on Alarion in 2581, and while the Free worlds League forces quickly crushed the Amaris Fusiliers they rapidly found themselves experiencing similar problems to Task Force MAILED FIST units on other worlds - they lacked the numbers to exercise sufficient control over the ground, and as a result found their hold on Urjala slipping away in the face of a rebellious population. Eventually, a portion of the garrison on the nearby world of Bolan was dispatched to Urjala to help secure the Star League grip on the world, but the Second Hussars would remain on Urjala for another two years.
The Second Hussars fought the Fourth Amaris Fusiliers for a second time on New India, which was the garrison posting of the other half of the Fourth; in contrast to many of the other planetary campaigns being fought at the time, the fight on New India was actually a stand-up fight, with the Fourth Amaris Fusiliers fighting hard and selling themselves dearly, but without resorting to the more desperate or savage guerrilla and resistance tactics the SLDF was facing on other worlds.
In contrast with the difficult occupation of Urjala and the fierce battle for New India, the campaign for Slewis was remarkably easy; an agricultural world with a large timber industry, Slewis was targeted by the Fusiliers, Defenders of Andurien and Regulan Hussars in May 2590 and was the last world in the Timbuktu Province to be captured, but the occupation consisted largely of the leaders of Slewis calmly acknowledging the arrival of the Free Worlds League forces before simply continuing their farming and logging operations.
The Second Hussars and their companion units from the 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps operated largely independently of the other units within Task Force MAILED FIST; other than the large-scale operation to secure Apollo, the only exception to this was the campaign to secure Toland, where they fought alongside the SLDF Eighteenth Division against the local militia forces.
Duke Narinder Selaj, the overall commander of the 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps and the second-in-command of the ground component of the operation to secure Apollo led the Second Hussars and the Defenders of Andurien personally to liberate First Consul Gregory Amaris from the Rim Provisional Government forces besieging his island estates. Duke Selaj managed to easily defeat the forces besieging the Amaris' estates, only to find Amaris himself to be unpleasant, hostile, and thoroughly ungrateful for his rescue; Amaris regarded Selaj as a provincial minor lordling from the Free Worlds League, despite the far greater wealth and and population of the Principality of Regulus, and bitterly resented the time taken to rescue him and the poor conditions he considered himself to have lived in... conditions far more opulent than most of his citizens or the soldiers of the Task Force had endured. Despite the difficulties in dealing with Amaris, Duke Selaj was able to send his troops and liberated Amaris loyalists to join the forces outside Terra Prime.
Following the injuries taken by Archon Viola Steiner-Dinesen in an attempted ambush that went wrong and saw the Lyran Fourth Royal Guards mauled by the Seventh Amaris Legionnaires and the Eighth Amaris Fusiliers command of the ground operations on Apollo passed to General Nathan Isaacson of the SLDF. Ignoring calls from Gregory Amaris for a highly destructive campaign to destroy the rebel forces, Isaacson directed the Second Hussars and the other Task Force MAILED FIST units on Apollo to lay siege to the Rift Republican Army and RPG forces on Apollo, resulting in a campaign that limited the loss of life on both sides and saw the Provisional Government and their supporting forces surrender in September 2596.
Star League Era
The Regulan Hussars fell under suspicion during the war between Gerald Marik and House Selaj, the ruling family of the Principality of Regulus, following the assassination of Captain-General Terrence Marik in 2678. The war finally ended in 2680, but not before the three regiments of Regulan Hussars had fought a delaying action on Hellos Minor and Harmony against six federal regiments to allow several members of House Selaj to escape into exile. The Regulan Hussars fought after a personal visit by Rajneesh Selaj, in which he protested his innocence, and as a consequence of the Hussars' experiences the brigade would remain wary of putting faith in politicians for centuries afterwards.
When the Marik Civil War erupted the Regulan Hussars sided with Captain-General Elise Marik rather than her brother, Oliver Marik, and remained loyal to Elise and her son Bertram throughout the conflict despite the Hussars havig been initially hit hard by the various forced retirements and purges instigated during the witch hunts conducted both by Elise Marik and her father before her. The Hussars' loyal support regained them the support and respect of Betram and the rest of House Marik; Bertram rewarded the Hussars accordingly, with the Hussars receiving quantities of the latest equipment from production lines in the Marik Commonwealth. Bertram also instigated the practise of ennobling the senior commanders within the Hussars down to the battalion commanders and awarded the Hussars a ten thousand acre estate in perpetuity.
The Second remained vocally supportive of the Captain-General throughout the remainder of the Star League era; with the Principality's borders being largely secure, the Second and the other regiments of the Hussars were known to deploy outside the boundaries of the Principality despite being a provincial force. These deploymnets were usually either to engage in wargames and exercises with other regiments for training purposes, or to reinforce federal forces.
As a formation the Hussars maintained a high level of combat-readiness, but Duchess Cameron-Jones refused to send any of the regiments to join the units being assembled on Solaris by Captain-General Ewan Marik following the attack on the Timothy Leary by the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces in 2745. The Duchess cited the requirement to preserve the security of the Principality as the main reason out of a number of political reasons for not deploying the hussars, despite the majority of the Hussars regiments expressing willingness to comply with Marik's request; fortunately for the Hussars, the relationship between the brigade and the Captain-General wasn't damaged, as Marik took out his frustrations on the Duchess rather than the brigade.
Despite the loyalty displayed to the Captain-General by the Hussars, SAFE agents were still operating within the support personnel within the brigade in the 2760s; the Star League Intelligence Command had evidence showing the presence of those operatives, and believed that their presence was most likely a result of orders from Ewan Marik following the Solaris incident. The Second was a cause of some concern for SLIC because of their emphasis on training and practising for planetary invasions, a type of battle and campaign that the existence of the Star League should have rendered moot.
Early Succession Wars
In May of 3014, the Marik Civil War broke out with Anton Marik declaring himself Captain-General over his brother Janos Marik. The 2nd Regulan Hussars saw its sister units, the 4th and 5th Regulan Hussars declare loyalty to the rebel leader. While the 2nd Hussars and other Regulan Hussar regiments remained in place, taking on Principality's neutral stance in the conflict.
Only in the last year of the conflict, would the 2nd Hussars be called into action. The Principality's government had finally been moved to declare its loyalty to Janos Marik as Captain-General.
In March 3015, the 2nd Hussars were deployed with the 1st Hussars on McKenna where the unit were to face against rebel aligned 5th Hussars fled to. Their presence on planet, forced the rebellious sister unit to flee. However, month after the 5th treat, most of the Wolf's Dragoons would arrive and force off the regiment with heavy damage. They fell back to the world of Ling for rest of the conflict.
Aftermath and the End of the Third Succession War
By the late Third Succession War, the 3rd Hussars had weaken in strength. As of 3025, the unit was known for its Close-Quarter fighting style. The unit was used in mission that called for Planetary Assault. While under the command of Colonel Banford (since 3015), the unit had poor recon assets, but winning record. However, its fighting style fatigued its assets. Colonel Banford redirected the unit's resources from its other Battalions, were redirected to support the unit's famed Green Monster Assault Battalion. The Green Monster's commanding officer, Major Ingrid Sjornsson, bullies resources to keep Battalion in top readiness at cost of rest of the Regiment.
Fourth Succession War and Andurien Secession
Intermediate Years of the Clan Invasion Era
Became the instigator of the Gibson crisis in 3054 when the then commanding officer, Nathan Roush used elements of the unit in an attempt to discredit Captain-General Thomas Marik. He provided insurgents on Gibson with a nuclear weapon from Regulan stocks and covertly transferred the Second Hussar's second Battalion to Gibson. The Word of Blake forces on the world fought the insurgents, and later the Knights of the Inner Sphere that came to investigate the rumors swirling around the planet. The Regulan-backed insurgents fought alongside the Knights against the Word of Blake and Regulan Hussars on the world. The Blakist forces surrendered to the Knights when the Second Regulan Hussar's commander launched his tactical nuclear device. The captured Regulan Hussar equipment was given to the Knights as spoils of war, and the battalion was disbanded.
In Exile to the Periphery
By 3059 the 2nd Regulan Hussars was stripped of its support and would be kept at partial regiment with only 2 Battalions worth of BattleMechs. Prince Kirc Cameron-Jones saved the unit from completely struck from FWLM's combat roster. The unit was then be dispatched to Periphery in exile.
Captain-General Thomas Marik would hand assign the unit's new commanding officer, Colonel Oskar Hausen. The 2nd Hussars would divided, due to distrust their new commanding officer. Opposition would come from the unit's principle combat battalion, the 2nd Battalion nicknamed the Green Monster Assault Battalion. It was believed that Force Commander Marie Lowe would someday invoke the Regulan Hussars' tradition of right to take command of the unit by combat.
The new unit was reassigned to Goth Khakar, a system along the Periphery border. This tough world allowed the Second time to regroup and recover. After rebuilding to regimental strength, they served as escorts for diplomats heading to the Niops Association as well as pirate hunters.
Sometime during the Jihad, the 2nd Regulan Hussars deployed to Wallis to defend that planet from invaders. In May, 3071 the 49th Shadow Division attacked the world and destroyed the 2nd Regulan Hussars completely.
By 3077, the 2nd Regulans had been rebuilt by Regulan Prince Titus Cameron-Jones. The reconstructed unit as part of Brigade wide reconstruction and rebuilding, had its iconic 2nd Battalion the Green Monster Assault Battalion, reactivated for service. The Regiment's lances sometimes would receive same-design lances.
The rebuilt Second Regulan Hussars use the same insignia as their predecessors, but they have taken a new regimental slogan: "The Vindicated." They use this slogan to remind everyone that they never trusted the Word of Blake.
In 3145 the Second served as the bodyguard unit for the Captain-General. This prestigious assignment only occurred after the 1st Regulan Hussars were defeated on Atreus in 3139. Their assignment as the Captain-General's bodyguard meant that they were stationed on Regulus.
|Commanding Officers of the 2nd Regulan Hussars|
|Colonel||Sweeney "Beadle" Banford||3015|
|Colonel||Janet Simmons||3050 - 3054|
|Colonel||Oskar Hausen||3059 - 3067|
- In 2765 the Second was actively training and practising for planetary invasions.
- During 3025, the unit utilized its heavy weight for up-close combat and planetary assaults.
- In 3059, the unit remained specialized in assault operations and planetary invasions, the unit favoring frontal assaults.
Second Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
2786 - 2821
2nd Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Regular/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Wallis. In 2821 the command was reduced to 48 of its strength and was deployed at Epsilon. 
2nd Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Epsilon with an operational readiness of 115 percent. 
2nd Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Epsilon with an operational readiness of 75 percent. 
Second Regulan Hussars (BattleMech Regiment)
- Note: Unit was considered a Heavy Regiment, with Regular skills and light Aerospace Fighter cover. The Regiment has three Battalions, which includes the Green Monster Assault Battalion which is top Readiness, while others are poor fighting condition. The unit had Questionable loyality rating in 3025, and was stationed on world of Avior.
2nd Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Regular/Questionable)
Second Regulan Hussars (BattleMech Regiment)
- Note: The unit was rated Regular skilled, with a Questionable Loyalty. It would still be stationed on Avior as of 3050.
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Oskar Hausen
- XO: Force Commander John Shearer
- 2nd Battalion: Force Commander Maire Lowe
- Wing Commander: Lt.Commander Emmanuelle Marks
Second Regulan Hussars (2 Battalions/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Vinoth Singh
Second Regulan Hussars (2 Battalions/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Alex McGowan
The unit's famed Green Monster Assault Battalion first noted in the original House book and active in 3025. In Masters and Minions, the sourcebook notes the reactivation of the Green Monster Assault Battalion, but does not say when.
The Field Manual: Free Worlds League gives the 2nd Regulan Hussars Force Specific Abilities when special scenario rules are utilized. The unit receives the Force the Initiative ability and receives F Equipment Rating (3059).
When the unit deploys a force as big as Battalion or large, the Hussars would receive +2 to the player's initiative roll. However, it receives a penalty of -1 when it fields a company or less of units.
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 16, "Regulan Hussars"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 86
- House Marik, p. 103 - Early History of Hussars, ties with 2nd.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 152, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (Jump-off - 2587)
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 131, "False Starts (2579-81)
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 153, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (2588-2596)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 134, "Helbrent to Nightwish (July 2582 - November 2584)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 132-33, "Alarion (December 2581)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 135, "Arlina to Viborg (December 2584 - September 2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 136, "Illium to Barcelona (March 2589 - August 2591)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 139, "Bitter Harvests (2591-2596)"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p.103, "Regulan Hussars"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 4, "Strategic Update"
- Historical: Brush Wars, pp. 18,20 Opening Moves - 2nd Hussar's sister units choose back Anton Marik in his Rebellion. Principality of Regulus, had decided to maintain a neutral stance, keeping the 2nd Hussars and other units on side lines.
- Historical: Brush Wars, pp. 23-24, 27 Other Actions and Collapse- Regulus government convinced call suppose for Janos.
- Historical: Brush Wars, pp. 31, 39 - Unit's actions during Anton's Revolt. Unit presence in April, indicated in description of the McKenna action. Month later Wolf's Dragoons would kick them off planet.
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 104 - Unit fluff from the original house book.
- Historical: Brush Wars, pp. 86, 89 - 2nd Hussars set out the Andurien Succession.
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, 2nd Regulan Hussars not listed active in war.
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 107, "2nd Regulan Hussars Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 107 - Unit History / Officers - unit's history after the battle with the Knights and intermediate years of rebuilding.
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 158
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 16
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 81 - Regulan Hussars - 2nd Hussars noted as being active again as of 3077.
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 9
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 110
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 116, "Regulan Strategic Military Command"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), pp. 104, 108 - Commanding Officer noted. 2nd Hussars' profile notes Banford as being command of the unit for 10 years. (The book was written in game year 3025).
- 20 Year Update, p. 57, FWLM Deployment Table - 3050
- Objective Raids, p. 39, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 162, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 92, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3085"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 104 - Unit's specialization noted, and its earlier close-quarters abilities.
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 16, "Regimental Status"
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 138
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 98
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League) p. 81, 105 - Regiment's status as of 3025.
- Historical: Brush Wars, p.86
- 20 Year Update, p. 57 Regulan Hussars - 2nd Hussars' status.
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 133 - 2nd Hussars force specific abilities.
- 20 Year Update
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: FWLM
- Field Report 2765: FWLM
- Historical: Brush Wars
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Objective Raids