35th Royal CAAN Marine Regiment
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Talking BattleTech Fiction with Philip A. Lee
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Read more →
|35th Royal CANN Marine Regiment|
|Unit Profile (as of 2764)|
|Parent Formation||VII Corps|
The Thirty-Fifth Royal CANN Marine Regiment was a part of the Star League Defense Force Regular Army. It was originally formed during the creation of the SLDF in 2571 and was a part of VII Corps during the Reunification War, where it served in the Magistracy of Canopus campaign from 2577 to 2588. As a Combined Armor, Air, and Naval Regiment, the 35th Royal was designed for operating on water worlds and trained for performing amphibious operations.
As a part of the Magistracy of Canopus task force, the 35th Royal was stationed on Ayn Tarma when military action against the Magistracy began. Although in later years, independent regiments would form a part of almost every SLDF corps, VII Corps was particularly dependent on the four independent regiments assigned to it because of the general lack of transport assets that plagued VII Corps throughout the war, and the 35th Royal would see combat on three different worlds during the course of the war, including playing a decisive part in the capture of the Magistracy capital world.
The 35th Royal would remain on Ayn Tarma for the first year of the war, but in 2578, the 35th Royal was tasked to support the 57th Brigade invasion of Payvand along with four full regiments of troops drawn from the Free Worlds League Military. In 2579, the 35th Royal would fight alongside another independent regiment, the 401st Independent Regiment, in support of the two SLDF brigades tasked with taking Eleusis. The Eleusis campaign ended up being far longer and more destructive than originally planned; as part of an elaborate shell game the commander of the Magistracy Armed Forces had moved troops in and out of Eleusis, and when the SLDF task force arrived it discovered twice the number of regiments defending the world than intelligence had indicated - including almost the entire Chasseurs á Cheval. The MAF defenders resisted the annexation of Eleusis for months, and could have fought for several months longer than they did, if not for direct orders from the commander of the MAF and Magestrix Crystalla Centrella, to retreat to preserve their remaining strength for later battles.
In 2584, the invasion of Canopus IV itself was ordered and landings began in early April; the defending Magistracy Armed Forces units put up a fierce resistance and the 35th Royal was one of the early casualties - the 3rd Canopian Fusiliers struck at the 3rd Marik Militia and the 35th Royal, with the 35th Royal taking the brunt of the damage until reinforcements drove the Fusiliers back. Much to the disgust of the 35th Royal's CO, the regiment was moved back into reserve and had to sit out the next few weeks of the campaign. The 35th Royal wasn't idle in those weeks, despite being kept from the front; the regiment used the time to study the Canopian capital, Delphi, and it's surroundings; of particular interest were the wide golden beaches that made up much of the Bay of Altay. The other SLDF units manage to push the defenders back to Delphi itself, but the MAF units settled in for a siege and turned the initial assault on the city into a brutal meatgrinder that damaged both sides heavily. It was at this point that the 35th Royal embarked on a plan hatched during their enforced break from combat, recognizing that the Bay represented the one side of the city that the defenders hadn't heavily fortified and garrisoned. The 35th Royal launched an amphibious assault at dawn on May 2, taking the Magistracy forces by surprise and breaking the defenders as they came under attack from behind. This blow was enough to break the siege and force the Magestrix and those forces left on Canopus to surrender, although it wouldn't end the war.
Amaris Civil War
In 2764, almost 200 years after the Reunification War, the 35th Royal was still a part of VII Corps, which was now a part of the Eighth Army; the 35th Royal was assigned to District 1 of the Free Worlds League Military Region and then transferred to District 2 by 2765, during the Periphery campaign that erupted following the New Vandenberg Uprising. The 35th Royal survived the war, the Hegemony Campaign, and followed General Aleksandr Kerensky on the Exodus in 2784.
|Commanding Officers of the 35th Royal CAAN Marine Regiment|
- VII Corps units may utilize Overrun Combat.
- VII Corps units gain a +1 bonus to repair rolls.
- The VII Corps commander may select half of the maps used in any battle, irrespective of scenario rules.
- VII Corps units adhere to the Ares Conventions.
- VII Corps units suffer a -2 penalty to Initiative if forced to fight on city maps.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 148, "Magistracy of Canopus Front (Jump-Off &ndash 2582)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 149, "Magistracy of Canopus Front (2583 &ndash 2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 105, "Canopus (March-April 2584)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 30, "VII Corps"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 100-101, "Eleusis, Obrenovac, and Bethonolog (October-November 2577)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 150, "Magistracy of Canopus Front (Jump-Off &ndash 2582)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 104, "Canopus (March-April 2584)"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 108, "Independent Regiments"
- The Star League, p. 141, "Eighth"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 181, "The Star League"