3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
|3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires|
|Unit Profile (as of 3081)|
|Parent Formation||Free Worlds Legionnaires|
The Third Free Worlds Legionnaires were originally a BattleMech Regiment, that served the Free Worlds League up to its break up during the Jihad in 3079. It would later serve with the Republic of the Sphere briefly as a whole until it disbanded and merged with Republic Armed Forces in 3081.
Did not participate in Operation Guerrero, but fought on Asuncion during the Zion Rebellion. They were the closest Loyalist unit to the province when it declared itself independent. They arrived in 3057 and spent quite a lot of time hunting down the mercenary forces employed by the secessionist government. They were not skilled in this type of operation, however, and it wasn't until the 3rd Free Worlds Guards arrived that the Rebellion was brought to a close in December, 3057.
As part of Operation SCOUR's Federated Suns Group I, the Third Legionnaires reinforced the 15th Arcturan Guards and 5th Crucis Lancers on Demeter. By performing an orbital drop, the Third was able to get behind the local Protectorate Militia divisions and the 9th Militia Division supporting them, and force them to pull back from the Vicore Industries complex. Three weeks after their arrival, the Third and other Coalition forces had taken control of Demeter; the Third Legionnaires had encircled the 9th Militia Division forces, which were comprised of two Level IIIs - Measure of Trust and Call to the Faithful - and which had retreated to the Vicore Industries plant. The Third Legionnaires spent three weeks trying to dislodge the Blakists until both the 9th Militia Division forces and the factory complex were destroyed by orbital bombardment.
Following the Demeter campaign the 3rd and the other elements of Group I were assigned to the liberation of Towne in March/April 3077. Information had been obtained by the Fox's Teeth indicating that the Word of Blake had developed and extensively fortified a facility on Towne for refitting and possibly manufacturing DropShips. The Blakist facility was located deep within a mountain range on the continent of Howell, and was protected by formidable defenses, including capital missile launchers. This became the site of the fiercest struggle during the campaign to liberate Towne, with the Blakists nearly defeating the combined forces of Group I. The defenses proved to be almost as tough as one of the Castle Brian complexes created during the era of the Star League, and drove the coalition troops to desperate measures; Princess Regent Yvonne Steiner-Davion personally authorised the use of orbital bombardment to crack the fortifications, and the Fox-class WarShip FSS Indefatigable moved in response.
As the Indefatigable moved towards Towne, it triggered another layer of defenses in the system that the various DropShips of Group I had failed to trigger; even as the Fox's Teeth were making a dangerous raid on the surface of the planet to disable the capital missile launchers there, hidden missile launchers within the system targeted the Indefatigable. Launch platforms disguised as ore processing stations within the Towne asteroid belt launched dozens of missiles, inflicting heavy damage on the Indefatigable and nearly stymied the liberation effort. As it was, the Indefatigable managed to make it to orbit and bombard the Blakists' defenses, allowing Group I to take the planet. The campaign took four weeks from start to finish, and while the 15th Arcturan Guards were ready to deploy on their next operation on the 22nd of April, the other elements of Group I would continue to rebuild on Towne for some time.
In the Terran assault, the Third Legionnaires were served under Commanding General Devlin Stone. Fighting alongside the 25th Arcturan Guards, 7th Pesht Regulars, Stone's Lament, Ryuken-ni, and the Ghost Legion, the Third tried to take over the Word of Blake's main command center at Hilton Head Island. The intense defenses that were installed inflicted heavy damage on all the attacking units.
In Service of the Republic of the Sphere
Operation Golden Dawn
In March 25th 3081, the Silver Hawks Coalition, an element of the now former and fragmented Free Worlds League began an effort to claim worlds within the Republic of the Sphere. This triggered a conflict between the two nations, under directions of Paladin Alys Rousset-Marik, the Legionnaires were deployed as part of one of her plans to counter the invasion.
Under the code name, Operation: Golden Dawn, the Third was dispatched to Augustine as part of the operation's first wave of the plan counter invasion on April 3rd. Deployed with the Northwind Highlanders regiment, Stirling's Fusiliers, the two units confronted the First Free Worlds Guards aka "the Amazons" on world. The Amazons put up a stiff resistance against Legionnaires and its allies due to their animosity towards Paladin Rousset-Marik, who had broken with the Free Worlds League. The Marik Commonwealth control of the planet faltered, the Amazons were withdrawn. The Guards commanding officer, ordered regiment to smash through the Legionnaires and Fusiliers on their way to withdraw point. Resulting maneuver caused significant damage to the Legionnaires and its Highlander allies.
In June, the Legionnaires were deployed to Stewart as part of third Wave of the operation to capture the Stewart Commonality's capital world. The campaign, along with three of the Highlander Regiments, and 12th Atrean Dragoons took two months to secure the world. Despite their superior numbers, the Legionnaires were forced to fight the Stewart Hold Guards and their local planetary militia in a guerrilla warfare style campaign. With supplies being struck by the Hold Guards, the Legionnaires and other Republic forces managed to destroy resistance outside the planetary capital of Lancaster with artillery fire.
Rebuilding and Merging
By the end of the Free Worlds League conflict, the command was merged and mixed into the Republic's newly forming brigades.
|Commanding Officers of the 3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires|
|General||Pierre Mondou||3050 - 3067|
The 3rd is specialized in planetary raids and assaults. After the Third's poor showing on Asuncion, however, General Mondou arranged for more training for his unit in countering small unit engagements.
3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Simone McNulty
- XO: Force Commander Arthur Hodgekinson
- 2nd Battalion: Force Commander Lesslie Burows
- 3rd Battalion: Force Commander Janvid Maedray
- Most 'Mechs are medium, and use only energy weapons
- Wing Commander: Commodore Morton Morris
- Reinforced to almost double standard size
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Michiko Hagiwara
- Includes several mobile artillery batteries
- Troop Commander: Lieutenant Colonel Col McGruer
- Formed from the remains of the previous Brigade)
The Legionnaires merging with the Republic of the Sphere forces is not clear where components of the Regiment were mixed into to form the RAF's brigades.
An Orion in 3rd Free World Legionnaires colors.
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 60 Jihad in Review - 28 January 3079 "Free Worlds League Parliament disbands the realm.
- Field Manual: 3085,pp. 167 - Forces Gifted to the Republic - Legionnaires gifted to Republic of the Sphere.
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 38, "3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires Unit Profile"
- 20 Year Update, p. 56, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 159
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 36, "Tragedy on Demeter"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 37, "The Tale Of Towne"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 103, "Hell at Hilton Head"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 167 FORCES GIFTED TO THE REPUBLIC - Third Free Worlds Legionnaires noted as being part of the gift combat units given to the Republic of the Sphere.
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 16-17, 81 Operation Golden Dawn "Details of the unit's destruction against the Republic of the Sphere forces.
- Field Manual: 3085, pp.166-167 Forging of the RAF - Damaged units from the Operation Golden Dawn were merged to form three main brigades of the RAF. The Legionnaires are not named as which brigades received its elements.
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 145
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 14 ALYS ROUSSET MARIK’S RESISTANCE - Third Free Worlds Leagionnaires status as of 3079.
- Field Manual: 3085, pp.166-167 Forging of the RAF - Text stats eventually all gifted units of the Republic were split and mixed/merged with new formed ones. The Third Free Worlds Legionnaires are not named as to which brigades received its elements.