5th Donegal Guards
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
|Fifth Donegal Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Parent Formation||Donegal Guards|
Star League Era
The Fifth Donegal Guards were either destroyed during the Age of War or deactivated during the Star League era. In 2782 the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces recruited the Twenty-second Dragoon Regiment, a Star League Defense Force regiment; formerly a part of XVIII Corps within the SLDF Seventeenth Army the Twenty-second was re-designated by the LCAF as the Fifth Donegal Guards.
War of 3039
During the Federated Commonwealth's first wave of the War of 3039 the Fifth was initially assigned to the invasion of Alrakis as follow-on support for the Twenty-third Arcturan Guards. However the latter's swift victory negated the need for reinforcement and the unit remained in reserve on Ryde. As a result the unit never saw action during the war and was redeployed to Helen afterwards.
After the unit was reduced in the Third Succession War, the Fifth Donegal Guards was treated as a third-rate unit. The units fortunes changed in 3060 when Katherine Steiner-Davion used the sorry state of the unit as a propaganda tool. As a result the unit got much needed new equipment and personnel. 
FedCom Civil War
During the War, a combat command from the Fifth occupied Kentares IV under the command of Lord Marcus Roland. The unit's actions on Kentares were called 'brutal', as they assisted Roland in savagely oppressing the citizens of Kentares. The Fifth was stopped by Ian Dresari and his army of irregulars, who defeated Roland and his men in less than three months.
The Fifth also fought ComStar troops on Benet III, credited with ravaging the 41st Avalon Hussars, and for fighting a guerilla campaign. Later in the War, the unit was transferred to New Avalon, where it was smashed during the Brunswick landings. 
What was left of the unit after the FedCom Civil War was still being investigated for war crimes when the Word of Blake's 31st Division landed on New Avalon. Not able to function as independent unit the Fifth accompanied the Second NAIS Cadet Cadre until both units merged with the First Davion Guards in January 3068.
|Commanding Officers of the 5th Donegal Guards|
|Hauptmann General||Walter Teudesco||3050|
|Hauptmann General||Ursa Potroy||3060 - 3067|
Like a pitbull they bite and do not let go until the enemy lay in the dust before them.
5th Donegal Guards (Regular/Questionable)
- - At this point in time the 5th were a medium-weight regiment stationed on Giausar and were at full strength.
5th Donegal Guards (Regular/Questionable)
- - At this point in time the 5th were just below forty percent of full strength, and were stationed on Giausar.
5th Donegal Guards (Regiment/Regular/Questionable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Giausar with an operational readiness of 61 percent. 
5th Donegal Guards (Regiment/Regular/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Giausar with an operational readiness of 37 percent. 
5th Donegal Guards (Green/Reliable)
- Note: At this point in time the unit was stationed on Phecda.
5th Donegal Guards RCT (Regiment/Green/Reliable)
5th Donegal Guards RCT (Regiment/Green/Reliable) 
- CO: Hauptmann General Walter Teudesco 
- Note: At this point in time the unit was stationed on Benet III. 
5th Donegal Guards Armor Brigade (2 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
CO: Leutnant General Susan Thwaites
Aide: Kommandant Khatoun Rashti
- 422nd Donegal Light Tank: Leutnant General Eward Potter
- 23rd Benet Artillery Group: Leutnant General Lewis Gunnel
5th Donegal Guards Infantry Brigade (4 Regiments/Green/Reliable)
CO: Leutnant General Palmer Hornby
Aide: Kommandant Joseph Paltineri
- 133rd Donegal Infantry Regiment: Leutnant General Saddler Bex
- 134th Donegal Infantry Regiment: Leutnant General Scott Hunter
- 29th Benet Light Infantry Regiment: Leutnant General Gabe Pentel
- 199th Lyran Jump Regiment: Leutnant General Ivan Hartman
- Field Report 2765: Lyran Commonwealth, p. 10-11, "Donegal Guards"
- First Succession War, p. 33, "Those Left Behind (Continued)"
- The Star League, p. 155, "Seventeenth Army"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 30-31, "Alrakis"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 139, "Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 66, "5th Donegal Guards Unit Profile"
- FedCom Civil War, p. 26, 82
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 169, "Donegal Guards bio"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 179, "Deployment Table"
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon, p. 6
- 20 Year Update, p. 19, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- First Succession War, p. 139, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (LCAF)"
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 99
- House Steinerp (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 119
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137
- 20-Year Update, p. 19