5th Regulan Hussars
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
|Fifth Regulan Hussars BattleMech Regiment|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Regulan Hussars|
The Fifth Regulan Hussars spent most of the 31st century stationed on the Free Worlds League/Lyran Commonwealth border. As a result, the unit doesn't have the same regional loyalty to the Principality of Regulus common to Regulan Hussars units.
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 Gallery
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
The Fifth Regulan Hussars were formed between 2755 and 2765 by Duchess Elsa Cameron-Jones. Like its sister regiments at the time, the Fifth Hussars were vocally supportive of the Captain-General and the regiment was flush with newly-manufactured equipment originating from the factories of the Marik Commonwealth, a legacy of the Regulan Hussars' support for Captain-General Elise Marik during the Marik Civil war earlier in the century.
Despite the loyalty displayed to the Captain-General by the Hussars, SAFE agents were still operating within the support personnel within the brigade in the 2760s; the Star League Intelligence Command had evidence showing the presence of those operatives, and believed that their presence was most likely a result of orders from Ewan Marik two decades earlier, following Duchess Cameron-Jones refusal to send any of the Hussars regiments to Marik's show of force on Solaris following the attack on the Timothy Leary by the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces in 2745.
Fourth Succession War
In October 3028 the Fifth Regular Hussars were deployed as part of a task force to capture Wyatt, one of a number of attacks made during Operation DAGGER, the offensive planned by Captain-General Janos Marik to seize valuable industrial worlds in the Federation of Skye. Wyatt was a particular target of DAGGER because of the presence of two Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces line regiments, the Eleventh Lyran Guards and Seventeenth Arcturan Guards; while the Fifth Regulan Hussars and Twenty-fifth Marik Militia jumped into the Wyatt system intent on destroying both regiments, other FWLM regiments were capturing the Milton and Phecda systems in an effort to isolate the Lyran forces.
Unfortunately for the two League regiments, the two Lyran regiments had been forewarned of the attack. The Hussars arrived at a pirate point allowing them to make an immediate drop on the surface of the planet, while the Militia appeared at the zenith jump point - only to find the Eleventh Lyran Guards waiting at the jump point, with the 'Mechs embarked on transports and aerospace fighters patrolling. Before the Militia could launch fighters the Eleventh's aerospace fighters began strafing attacks, with pairs of Chippewas and Lucifers each launching a single attack before withdrawing. The cumulative damage destroyed two Unions and a Leopard; worse still for the Militia, one of the DropShips was transporting a battalion command staff, and when it was destroyed, not only were those staff killed, but the DropShip then exploded, damaging a number of neighboring DropShips as they separated from their Invader-class JumpShip. With the Militia forces frantically trying to form up, the Eleventh retrieved its fighters and jumped out to the Alchiba system, while the Arcturan Guards jumped for Cor Caroli. Although the plan to destroy the two Lyran regiments was unsuccessful, the League did capture Wyatt. The losses sustained by the Twenty-fifth Marik Militia were rumored to be the result of information leaked to the Lyran Commonwealth by the Fifth, but no evidence to support this theory was ever found.
Raiding neighboring worlds of the Federated Commonwealth as a show of strength during the Andurien Secession, the Fifth's assault on Milton secured them large amounts of supplies in 3035. These raids also prevented the Federated Commonwealth from capitalizing on the confusion of the Secession Crisis.
The Hussars did not participate in Operation Bulldog.
FedCom Civil War
During the FedCom Civil War the Fifth wanted to raid the Lyran Alliance to take advantage of the confusion. The LCCC denied them permission to do so, going so far as to remove their transport assets to prevent an unauthorized reconnaissance in force. The denial and removal of their JumpShips eliminated the little loyalty to the Free Worlds League government the Fifth felt.
The Fifth took heavy damage during the Jihad. In 3079 they were down to a battalion sized formation. they also participated in Operation BROKEN FIST and the Regulan assault on Circinus and the Word of Blake. In 3082 they raided Atreus, but the defending Eleventh Atrean Dragoons actually inflicted heavy losses on the unit. Later, they actually took control of Emris IV, raiding StarCorps industrial warehouses, but were driven off by the First Orloff Grenadiers.
In 3139 the Fifth was stationed to counter an invasion of Atreus by forces loyal to the Duchy of Oriente. When the Fifth arrived in-system however, they were forced to stand down by the Sea Fox's ship VoidSwimmer. The Fifth couldn't reinforce the world and for their failure they were stationed at Diass.
|Commanding Officers of the 5th Regulan Hussars|
|Colonel||Thomas Orrfelt||3050 - 3067|
After formation the Fifth spent some time attempting to identify its strategic niche; the Fifth began by concentrating on training in mobile warfare and quick-strike tactics.
In the thirty-first century the Fifth used combined arms to bring an opposing unit down. First the armor units brought the enemy to a halt then the flanks were each covered by three companies of medium 'Mechs. The reserve is made up of heavy 'Mechs, which are waiting for the right moment, a sign of weakness in their enemy.
Fifth Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Green/Reliable)
2786 - 2821
5th Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Green/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Ildlandet. In 2821 the command was reduced to 48 of its strength and was deployed at Banfora. 
5th Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Green/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Banfora with an operational readiness of 101 percent. 
5th Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Green/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Viribium with an operational readiness of 58 percent. 
Fifth Regulan Hussars (Veteran/Questionable)
- CO: Colonel Linda Koloff
5th Regulan Hussars(Regiment/Veteran/Questionable)
Fifth Regulan Hussars (Regiment/Veteran/Questionable)
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Thomas Orrfeld
- XO: Force Commander Imrie Swain: 2nd Battalion: Force Commander Desmond Weir
- 3rd Battalion: Force Commander Romesh Thakar
- Wing Commander: Commodore Rachel Prior
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Noel Joliceur
- Troop Commander: Lt. Colonel Theda Lim
- The unit contains several SAFE operatives to hold the unit inline.
The unit suffered severe losses during the Jihad, reducing them to a battalion sized unit.
Fifth Regulan Hussars (1 Battalion/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Imrie Swain
Fifth Regulan Hussars (2 Battalions/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Jocelyn Hunter
- The Fifth is described in 2765 as having been founded "in the last decade"; as the Fourth Regulan Hussars was founded in 2762 it's likely, but not certain, that the Fifth was founded between 2762 and 2765.
An Orion in 5th Regulan Hussars colors.
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 16, "Regulan Hussars"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 4, "Strategic Update"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 62-63, "Operation DAGGER"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 63, "Overview"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 109, "5th Regulan Hussars Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 158, "5th Regulan Hussars"
- Field Report: Free Worlds League, p. 9
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 86
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 81
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 83
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 110
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 116, "Regulan Strategic Military Command"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 109, "FWL Deployment Table - 3025"
- 20 Year Update, p. 57, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3050"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 162, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 92, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 16, "Regimental Status"
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 138
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 98
- Historical: Brush Wars, p.86
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 9