6th Fleet (SLDF)
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Parent Formation||SLDF Naval Command|
The Sixth Fleet was assigned to the Capellan Confederation region of the Star League until the Periphery Uprising. Standards within the Sixth Fleet had declined significantly prior to the New Vandenberg Uprising, a consequence of the Sixth Fleet being one of the least active fleets within the SLDF Navy, and the then-commanding officer of the Sixth, Admiral Kumar, had struggled to reforge the Sixth as an effective military formation. An investigation by SLIC and report from Admiral Harmom Kumar indicated that the problem was largely due to the squadron commanders inability to work with each other. These officers were either too ambitious or to ineffective to lead the squadrons they commanded.
Sixth Fleet was homeported at Tantara. The 61st Line Squadron and parts of the 64th Pursuit Squadrons spent most of their time in this system. The 61st remained because its commander wanted to use the local garrison to promote himself to fleet command, and the 64th's elements were there to be repaired. The 62nd Squadron was in constant motion on the Confederation/Suns border, and the 63rd was scattered in small flotilla sized detachments to dissuade raiders. The commanders of the 61st and 62nd Squadrons disliked each other so intensely that the 62nd traded parts and supplies with the Sixteenth Fleet's reconnaissance elements just to avoid traveling to Tantara.
Kumar's efforts to improve standards within the Sixth Fleet ultimately failed, and as a result the Sixth Fleet performed poorly when initially deployed into the Taurian Concordat as the Periphery erupted. The Sixth Fleet narrowly avoided a disaster when Taurian rebels converted civilian DropShips into fireships and used them in an attempt to destroy the SLDF temporary fleet base at New Ganymede, and it was only after flirting with destruction that the disparate elements of the Sixth Fleet would come together as an effective fighting force.
In 2765 the Sixth Fleet was commanded by Admiral Ilse Huang-Sanchez from the WarShip SLS Dunklesturm. Her predecessor, Admiral Kumar, spent a year trying to get the Sixth Fleet into shape. When he couldn't, he resigned his commission and reported on his Fleet's failings to the SLDF High Command.
|Commanding Officers of the 6th Fleet (SLDF)|
- Admiral Kumar spent a year trying to get the Sixth Fleet into shape. When he couldn't, he resigned his commission and reported on his Fleet's failings to the SLDF High Command.
- Admiral Ilse Huang-Sanchez commanded the Sixth Fleet from the WarShip SLS Dunklesturm.
The Sixth Fleet was comprised of four active squadrons immediately prior to the Amaris Civil War:
- 61st Line Squadron (Void Dragons)
- CO: Vice Admiral Trudel Larsen
- 62nd Reconnaissance Squadron (Nebula Eyes)
- Lead Ship: SLS Black Templar - CO: Vice Admiral Kalwa Seppanen
- 63rd Pursuit Squadron (Cameron's Greyhounds)
- CO: Vice Admiral Grant Baker
- 64th Pursuit Squadron (The Void Cheetahs)
- Lead Ship: SLS Irrefutable - CO: Vice Admiral Ziva Kleinerer
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 47, "Sixth Fleet"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 94