7th Army (Star League)
- Your BattleTech News Round-Up For August, 2023
- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- Read more →
|Parent Command||Sixth Army Group (2764)|
Eleventh Army Group (2766)
Twenty-fourth Army Group (2772)
Commanded by the Army Headquarters on Sadurni, the Seventh Army was one of three light Armies within the SLDF; both the Seventh and its sister Armies, the Fifth Army and Sixth Army, were structured as light Armies with just three corps, a reflection of the densely-packed but relatively small area of space covered by the Capellan Confederation compared to the other Star League member states.
The Seventh was for many years considered a "sunset" assignment. Responsible for a relatively quiet area of the Star League, officers and units assigned to this army rarely saw combat. Therefore, many officers were transferred into the Seventh as their last assignment before retiring. This resulted in many aggressive officers asking for their units to be transferred to other armies. To stem the tide of reassignment requests, the RepDep Corps started posting officers and soldiers who were at the bottom of the evaluation lists to the Seventh. This continued until Commanding General Aleksandr Kerensky relieved the commander of Seventh Army and ordered the RepDep Corps to deny any transfer requests unless it was approved by a Major General or higher officer. The command staff was replaced by several aggressive officers from the Nineteenth Army, who were determined to whip the unit into shape.
The Seventh Army saw little combat during the Star League era, being responsible for half of the Confederation's border with the Free Worlds League; that changed when the Periphery Uprising began, with both the Sixth and Seventh Armies being called forward as reinforcements for the battered SLDF Armies within the Periphery. The Seventh expected to be deployed into the Magistracy of Canopus, but instead found itself being deployed into the Taurian Concordat alongside the Sixth Army; the resulting campaign would see the Seventh lose five divisions and an Independent regiments in combat, with a sixth division subsequently being disbanded. While this damage was relatively moderate compared to the overall size of the Seventh Army, the bulk of the casualties were inflicted on LVIII Corps, which was effectively destroyed.
|Commanding Officers of the 7th Army|
|General||Nguyen Huong||2763 - 2777|
Different per Unit.
Corps of the 7th Army
- LIII Corps
- LXXI Corps
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 87: "Sixth Army"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 94: "The Taurian Campaign"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1: p. 120: "Operation CHIEFTAIN Star League Defense Forces Order of Battle"
- The Star League, p. 152
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 43: "Seventh Army"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 95
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 87