9th Lyran Guards
- June News Roundup 2020 - Supplemental
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June 2020
- Did You Know? Other Games Come And Go, But MechWarrior: Living Legends Is Here To Stay
- Community Outreach - Michael At Metal Core Collectibles Talks About 3D Printing And Making Fan Designs
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May 2020
- Read more →
|9th Lyran Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Parent Formation||First Lyran Guards Division|
Star League Era
During the Star League era the 9th Lyran Guards was one of ten regiments within the 1st Lyran Guards Division, one of five Divisions of active regiments within the Lyran Guards brigade in the closing decades of the Star League's existence. By the mid-twenty-eighth century the 1st Division was the only Division of the Lyran Guards to be at full strength, and while the Lyran Guards were supposed to be loyal to the Lyran Commonwealth first and the Archon second, the various regiments of the First had been used at various points to keep powerful nobles in line.
Like the other regiments of the Guards during this era, the 9th lacked any particular political ties - either regional or familial - unlike regiments in other brigades; commonly assigned to garrison postings, the 9th Lyran Guards and their sister regiments were postings of choice for those who wanted to work for the Commonwealth without either regional loyalties or particular ambitions. This led to the 9th and her sister regiments being manned by soldiers who were professional, but without the close-knit ties found in more parochial regiments. The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces was intent on generating more camaraderie and esprit de corps among the Seventh and the other Guards regiments, but with little success by 2765.
Second Succession War
In 2838 the Free Worlds League Military was struggling under the combination of the ComStar interdiction of the Free Worlds League and Parliament's efforts to choke off funding to the military. Both the Capellan Confederation and Lyran Commonwealth had taken advantage of the League's woes to make military gains, with the LCAF expanding two major salients into the League with ruthless efficiency. However, in 2838 the FWLM forces fighting a tenacious defense in the League systems of the former Terran Hegemony found their LCAF opponents being hampered by expeditions from the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns, both looking to make gains of their own from the weakened League. Alula Australis was one of the systems caught up in this - the LCAF had landed the 9th Lyran Guards on the planet and were well on their way to crushing the FWLM garrison when the 4th Avalon Hussars arrived as part of an AFFS expeditionary force. Both competent and determined, the Hussars battled the Guards for six weeks, until both formations were battered and bloodied and forced to withdraw - leaving the remains of the FWLM garrison to resume control over the system.
|Commanding Officers of the 9th Lyran Guards|
9th Lyran Guards (Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the 9th was based on Miquelon.
2786 - 2821
9th Lyran Guards (Regiment/Regular/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Miquelon. In 2821 the command was reduced to 45 percent of its strength and was deployed on Kowloon. 
9th Lyran Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Kowloon with an operational readiness of 97 percent.  The unit was destroyed during the war.
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 13-14, "Lyran Guards"
- Second Succession War, p. 44, "The Four-Front War: Operation COOKIE JAR and the ComStar War (2837-2842)"
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 139
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 99