- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Happy Holidays From Sarna!
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For December 2020
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For November 2020
- Did You Know? - There Was A BattleTech Card Game, And It Was Great™
- Read more →
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Earthwerks APL I|
|Communications System||Neil 6000|
|Targeting Tracking System||Garret A6|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
The Apollo is designed to be a long range fire support BattleMech. This is accomplished by mounting an engine on the 'Mech that gives it a top speed of only 64.8 kph and eleven and a half tons of armor. The 'Mech was then armed with massive missile launchers which can rain destruction down on an enemy. While the Apollo has less than average speed for a medium 'Mech, if it is employed correctly the Apollo should have nothing to fear from enemy fire; it is fully capable of staying at the edge of the battlefield and laying down suppressive LRM fire.
Weapons and Equipment
The Apollo uses a pair of Zeus LRM-15 launchers with Artemis IV fire control systems to give the 'Mech increased missile accuracy. These two launchers with their advanced fire control system can, on average, do almost as much damage as a pair of LRM-20 launchers. These are backed up for close combat by a pair of Sunglow Prism-Optic Small Pulse Lasers which almost feel as if they were added to the 'Mech as an afterthought.
- The 1R variant of the Apollo is a simple modification of the 'Mech that looks to give it a longer combat life at the cost of accuracy. The Artemis IV fire control systems have been removed in favor of an additional two tons of LRM ammunition increasing the amount of time the Apollo can sustain an LRM barrage by thirty three percent. BV (1.0) = 973, BV (2.0) = 1,148
- The 2S was built to address the concerns about short range defense that MechWarriors who pilot the Apollo had. This modification removes the two Small Pulse Lasers from the 'Mech and replaces them with two Medium Lasers giving the Apollo a more powerful close range punch. BV (1.0) = 1,120, BV (2.0) = 1,283
- Using a Composite Internal Structure and XL Engine allowed engineers to install a pair of Extended LRM-15 launchers. A single ER Medium Laser in the head rounds out the armament. To protect the Apollo, ten tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor has been installed. The ammunition bays carry two tons of ammunition each and are protected by CASE II systems. BV (2.0) = 1,343
- Cobra - the Cobra fire-support BattleMech owes its existence to the Apollo-class BattleMech. When Earthwerks Incorporated of Keystone refused to sell the Apollo to the LAAF, the Alliance commissioned Defiance Industries to produce the Cobra based on battlefield observations.
The APL-4M variant is subject of the following Design Quirks:
- MUL online date for the Apollo (BattleMech)
- Combat Operations, p. 129
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 62
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 150
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 63
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 151
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 64
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 152
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 65
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 117
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 - Battlemech Quirk Table - BattleMaster Entry.