- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Talking BattleTech Fiction with Philip A. Lee
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Alpha Eridani neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||77.285 : -32.361[e]|
The Alpha Eridani system was the location of at least one inhabited world - Alpha Eridani II, more commonly known as Achernar - and as of 3145 was located in the Tikonov Commonality of the Capellan Confederation.
- 1 Alpha Eridani
- 2 Alpha Eridani II
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Planetary Rulers
- 2.3 Military Deployment
- 2.4 Geography
- 2.5 Planetary Locations
- 2.6 Industrial Centers
- 2.7 Image gallery
- 2.8 Nearby Systems
- 2.9 References
- 2.10 Bibliography
The Alpha Eridani system is located near the Basalt and Tigress systems and consisted of a class B3V primary orbited by three planets. The system primary causes powerful gravitational fluxes throughout the system. This has the unfortunate effect of making the safer nadir and zenith jump points a long, hundred day transit to Achernar. As a consequence, alternate jump points are well-plotted within the Alpha Eridani system. The most commonly used is a LaGrange point between the planet Achernar and its moon, Ahir al Nahr, which reduces transit time to just 24 hours.
- 2319 - Independent world 
- 2344 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2772 - Terran Hegemony (from September)
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3063 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate  
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent 
- 3145 - Capellan Confederation 
Alpha Eridani II
|Alpha Eridani II|
| Jump point
|Moons||1 (Ahir al Nahr)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Plants|
|Ruler|| Susan Haider (Governor)|
Brion Stempres (Planetary Legate) (3130)
Rudy Maks (Planetary Legate) (3133)
|Capital||River's End |
The second planet of three in the system, Alpha Eridani II - named "Achernar" by the population - has been inhabited for centuries and is host to a number of industrial facilities belonging to companies such as Achernar IndustrialMechs, Achernar BattleMechs and Valiant Systems.
The settlements on Achernar were founded by the Achernar family. By 2344 Achernar was a possession of the Terran Hegemony. The Hegemony had initiated two "Campaigns of Persuasion" to occupy former Terran Alliance worlds by force, and by 2335 had expanded as far as Nanking. Nanking was the furthest world from Terra to have been occupied by that point, but the Tikonov Grand Union went to war with the Terran Hegemony between 2336 and 2338 over the Chisholm Protectorate, a nation which included Nanking and which had been attacked or conquered by the Hegemony. The Hegemony was ultimately victorious in this conflict, and continually sided with the Free Worlds League and the Federated Suns when it came to settling or influencing any disputes either nation had with any of the various nations of the Capellan Zone.
In 2344 Reynard Davion used two Federated Suns task forces to stage demonstrations of strength around Mirach to keep the attention of the Grand Union and it's armed forces focused there; Reynard then used this distraction to use a reserve task force to launch a highly successful attack on Almach, another world that had been contested between the Tikonov Union and the Marlette Association prior to the Association's merge into the Federated Suns. Reynard's reserve task force had been mustered at Achernar, which was on the Capellan border at the time, and was therefore likely to have been mustered with either tacit or open approval from the Terran Hegemony.
The Star League
During the Star League, the Achernar family established Achernar BattleMechs to produce the Dervish for the Star League Defense Force. After the fall of the Star League, the Achernar noble family immigrated to the Federated Suns, but the cost of the immigration was moving the Achernar BattleMechs factory to New Avalon. The Capellan Confederation took control of the world before the First Succession War. The Fourth Succession War would return Achernar to the noble family that bore its name. After their return, the Achernar family established Achernar IndustrialMechs on Achernar.
The Succession Wars
Fed-Com Civil War
During Wave Six the Fifth Syrtis Fusiliers fought with the Third NAIS Cadet Cadre against the Achernar SMM, which were loyal to Katrina Steiner, and suffered light loses in the resulting battles with the Militia. The SMM retreated under heavy casualties off world in the face of a regular army unit.
The Word of Blake attacked and conquered Achernar during September 3069 and incorporated it into the Word of Blake Protectorate. The Word of Blake upgraded the Achernar BattleMechs West Fabrication Facility to enable it to produce BattleMechs in addition to the IndustrialMechs it had produced before; the upgraded facility subsequently produced huge quantities of the Osprey medium BattleMech for the Blakists. When allied coalition forces prepared to assault Achernar as a part of the Federated Suns front of Operation SCOUR in June 3077 the planetary governor surrendered immediately to the inbound troops, but the Achernar Protectorate Militia refused to surrender and instead dug in around the West Fabrication Facility. The coalition troops from Group IV were forced to dig the Militia out from the factory complex, and as a result of this combat action the West Fabrication Facility was destroyed. In addition to the unknown number of Blakists killed when the factory was destroyed, two companies of the Iron Guard were confirmed to have been wiped out. Media outlets within the Federated Suns credited Field Marshal Katheryn Sandoval-Ito with leading the assault on Achernar personally from her Devastator and with leading the critical tipping point in the battle for the planet.
As a part of the extensive rebuilding taking place across the worlds of the Republic of the Sphere the destroyed West Fabrication Facility was redeveloped into a factory complex for the vehicle manufacturer Valiant Systems. Highlighted in a news report as an example of the ongoing recovery efforts by Federated Suns reporter Peter Remonde on the 15th of August 3081, Valiant Systems was due to begin production imminently of industrial vehicles as well as the Fox armored car, with plans already in motion to expand production on Achernar to include the Ranger Infantry Fighting Vehicle.
The Dark Age
During the Dark Age the Bahari Bay region was a popular tourist site, and the large agricultural fields located around the bay and Falconville City were dedicated to supporting the tourism industry. The Husfa Desert was known for a number of annual endurance races held there, while the Tamash Jungle's diverse range of wildlife - both predator and prey - made it a popular destination for adventurous hunters.
The abundant resources on Kal continued to attract interest during this era, and a number of mining companies waged covert property-rights wars over the various resources. A similar hotspot of activity was the Alberton Woods on Ram, the bulk of which had been declared a protected zone by planetary officials; despite the protected status of the woods, the number of rangers employed to protect and patrol it wasn't sufficient and the rangers were vastly outnumbered.
After the Blackout, Achernar was one of the few worlds with a working HPG station making it strategically important. In 3133 the Steel Wolves attempted to capture the HPG complex on Achernar, only to be blocked by a Swordsworn contingent under the command of Erik Sandoval-Groell. In late 3135 the Swordsworn were actively battling with the Republic Armed Forces for control of Achernar.
- Planetary Legate Rudy Maks
- Achernar Sarna March Militia
- Achernar Sarna March Militia
- Achernar Sarna March Militia
- - In 3067 the Achernar SMM operated at 50% of full strength, with 65% of their equipment featuring Star League technology.
Achernar is a temperate world; the XXX continents have vast carpets of lush plant life and are dotted with large patches of thick woods. There are also a number of open plains and deserts to be found on the surface; most of the dry landmasses on the planet lie more than 2,000 meters above sea level.
The continents of Achernar include Acul, Dilma, Eridanus, Kal, Neswa, Ram, South Raviri and North Raviri. Acul lies in the southern hemisphere, north of the Cruel Sea, and is divided almost evenly in half by a range of mountains known as the Akron Mountain Range. The northern regions of Acul are covered in thick forests, the largest of which is the Alberta Forest.
The continent of Dilma is divided into two main regions, the Dilma Jungle and the Akma Desert, while the Eridanus continent features three major rivers, the Brightwater River and the Shaw and North Plateau Rivers.
Kal is the largest continent on the planet and is dominated by the Arair Desert in the southwest, vast open plains across the center of the continent and light forests further north. The southeastern corner of Kal is home to Hash Bay, and the entire continent is rich with natural resources and the Arair Desert is well-known for its oversized snakes similar to Terran sidewinders.
Neswa is a U-shaped continent in the southern hemisphere and is covered by large stretches of hilly terrain, with hills that reach a height of five hundred meters being very common. Neswa is south of the continent of Kal, and the sea separating the two is named the North Sea. Neswa has a number of significant terrain features including Bahari Bay in the northwest, the Husfa Desert - a scorching, boulder-strewn and broken landscape - to the southwest, the Tasma Jungle to the southeast and the Aloi Forest to the northeast. A key feature of the Bahari Bay region are the Grey, Salt and Snake Rivers running through the region.
The continents of North and South Raiviri lie in the equatorial regions of Achernar; south of North Raviri is the Raviri Sea, which separates North Raviri from Neswa. Both continents are dominated by thick jungle known as the Adder Jungles, and the eastern edges of both continents feature an annual monssoon season that visits each with a steady stream of torrential downpours. In contrast, the western regions of both continents receive very little rainfall. South Raviri is home to an active volcano known as the Aimwell Volcano.
The continent of Ram lies in the southern hemisphere north of the Cold Ocean, and is mostly covered by a light forest known as the Alberton Woods.
- Achernar Military Base: home to the bulk of the Achernar SMM, the military base is located north of Falconville on Neswa.
- Bahari Bay: a popular tourist location on northwest Neswa, well-known for beaches, deep-water fishing and water sports.
- Eridanus-24: the main continental highway on Eridanus, connecting all the major cities and towns as well as various small mining and fishing hamlets.
- Falconville City: located in Bahari Bay, this is the largest city in the Bahari Bay Province on Neswa.
- Highland Basin: a popular location for hiking and photography on Eridanus.
- Landova City: a remote city on Eridanus.
- Landova Reservoir: a popular camping location located on the border of the Pathfinder Wildlife Refuge.
- Landova Spaceport: a small spaceport with a single drop pad and one runway, this spaceport on Eridanus is responsible for connecting Landover City with the rest of the world.
- Palisades Reservoir: located on Neswa, this reservoir is fed by the Grey, Salt and Snake Rivers and is a key target for the planetary defenders.
- Pathfinder Wildlife Refuge: a substantial wildlife preserve on Eridanus.
- River's End City: the planetary capital city, located at the terminus of the Brightwater River on Eridanus.
- San Marino Spaceport: a major spaceport serving River's End City on Eridanus.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 67, "Achernar World Profile"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- "A Call To Arms", p.31
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 26, "The War Leader"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding" -  Map
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 31, "Draconis Combine after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, Inner Sphere - 
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns After First Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 43, "Draconis Combine after First Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns After Second Succession War "
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), "Capellan Confederation - 3025 Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), "Federated Suns -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 64, "Draconis Combine after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 71, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 66, "Draconis Combine after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of 3039 Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 68, "Draconis Combine after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 71, "Draconis Combine after Operation REVIVAL -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns After FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 74, "Draconis Combine after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere - [October 3067] Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, Inner Sphere  Map
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 21, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces Deployment Table "
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Table "
- Field Report: Clans, p. 29, "Terran Corridor Clans Deployment Map [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- A Call to Arms p. 45
- A Call to Arms p. 100
- The Star League, p. 16, "Terra's Errant Flock"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 19, "Terra Resurgent"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 47, "The Jihad In Review"
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 82, "Osprey"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 57, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 37, "Liberated Achernar"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 40, "Sandoval-Ito: A Study In Success"
- Jihad Final Reckoning, p. 30, "Strange Bedfellows"
- A Call to Arms p. 45
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 7, "Important Military Actions of 3133"
- Dark Age: LinkNet Articles (3136), p. 17, "Letters From Home -- Week 02"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 4 "Functional Republic HPGs as of 01 January 3135"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 138 "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 24, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 17, "Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 137, "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- A Call to Arms, p. 20 & p. 40
- Jihad Final Reckoning, p. 33-34, "Achernar: An Example Of Recovery"
- 20 Year Update
- A Call to Arms
- Dark Age: LinkNet Articles (3136)
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Digest: Dark Age
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Report: CCAF
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Objective Raids
- The Star League
- Technical Readout: 3058