- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Has Arrived - Here's What You Can Expect
- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- Read more →
|Aeron Strike VTOL|
|Mission|| Strike Craft |
|Armor||Durallex Super Heavy Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Nissan 160 XL|
|Communications System||Maxell 1500-ECM|
|Targeting Tracking System||Maxell TA 65/Targeting Tracking|
The Aeron attack VTOL was derived from prototypes created by the Word of Blake at the beginning of the Jihad era. These experimental models mounted a new vector thrust propulsion system on a Hawk Moth chassis. It was thought that this method of propulsion would prove less vulnerable to damage than conventional rotor blades. Early versions of the Aeron were first deployed by the Blakists as part of operations on Outreach in late 3067. However, experience showed the vector-thrust system to be less rugged than was hoped, and the Blakists abandoned the concept.
Brooks Incorporated of Andurien acquired vector thrust technology from the bankrupt Michaelson Heavy Industries and put the fully-developed Aeron into production by 3082. The craft was in widespread use among the forces of both Inner Sphere and Clan factions by the mid 3080s.
Weapons and Equipment
The Aeron carries a single Hellion-A III Extended Range Large Laser mounted in the nose. This weapon is aimed with the assistance of a battle-grade Targeting Computer. This allows the VTOL to target enemy units quickly and accurately even while moving at high speed.
Defensive equipment includes a Guardian ECM Suite, which allows the craft to both jam sophisticated electronic detection gear to interdict enemy signals. Physical protection consists of 3.5 tons of Durallex Super Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor, concentrated to protect the crew and the relatively fragile fusion engine.
Together these give the Aeron the ability to survive in the battlespace long enough to deliver precision, long-range laser strikes before using its speed and agility to withdraw. 
- Developed in 3084 as a less-expensive alternative to the base model, this variant is specialized for use in a recon and 'sniper' role. . The standard Targeting Computer is removed and replaced with a Beagle Active Probe. The BAP also includes a half-ton cargo bay designed to house and deploy remote drones. . BV (2.0) = 775
The Aeron was originally based on a VTOL that first appeared in Microsoft Game Studios' video MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf. The craft was unnamed in this game and used as a support craft in Wolf's Dragoons efforts to topple the Word of Blake.
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental, pp. 12-13, "Aeron Strike VTOL"
- MUL online entry for the Aeron
- MUL online entry for the Aeron Strike VTOL (BAP) variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 16