- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Cauldron's Bear_cl4w and Krasnopesky Talk MechWarrior Online
- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2021
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Alarion nearby systems (3151)
|X:Y Coordinates||-319.706 : 138.602[e]|
|Recharge time||181 hours|
The Alarion system was home to at least one habitable planet, Alarion III, as well as orbital industrial facilities operated by a number of manufacturers including Bowie Industries, Ioto Galactic Enterprises, Nashan Diversified and Port Sydney Naval Shipyards. As of 3067 Alarion was located in the Alarion Province of the Lyran Alliance.
- 1 Alarion
- 2 Alarion III
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Geography
- 2.6 Planetary Locations
- 2.7 Industrial Centers
- 2.8 Nearby Systems
- 2.9 References
- 2.10 Bibliography
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||45°C (Warm-Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Fish|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3067|
|Ruler||Duke of Alarion|
|Socio-Industrial Levels||A-A-A-A-B (3067)|
|HPG (Representative)|| A (3025)|
Alarion III was the third planet in the Alarion system, and was commonly referred to simply as Alarion. Alarion was the administrative capital of the Alarion Province within the Lyran Commonwealth and later the Lyran Alliance and was home to a number of industries including JumpShip and WarShip manufacturers. The surface of Alarion was also home to a manufacturing facility owned by Bowie Industries and the Alarion Naval Academy.
Colonized at some point after the formation of the Lyran Commonwealth, the first attempts to settle on Alarion were nearly the last. The arrival of the first settlers inadvertently wiped out large sections of the local wildlife, while half the settlers died from the effects of a combination of native and terrestrial diseases. The Commonwealth was still a young nation at this point, but the Commonwealth government moved to salvage the colonization effort by imposing strict regulations on planetary development. The government measures were intended to encourage commercial and industrial growth in a sustainable fashion, while also strengthening the local ecology.
The combination of a strict quarantine and stringent settlement directives proved effective, and remained in place throughout the history of Alarion; despite the restrictions Alarion became a heavily industrialized world, a provincial capital and a major defense manufacturing asset, producing aerospace fighters and BattleMechs along with various black water craft.
The settlers who colonized Alarion were mostly either German, Romanian or English in origin or heritage and this influenced both the local architecture and the languages that became dominant on the planet over the centuries. Even as late as the thirty-first century the architecture was noticeably European in feel, while German and Romanian remained the most popular languages in use among the population. The population were largely opposed to conflict, but at the same time remained committed to maintaining a strong defense on the world.
Age of War
Alarion was the site of one of the Lyran Commonwealth's earliest BattleMech factories in the years after Lyran commandos stole the technical and manufacturing information on these large engines of war from the Terran Hegemony. Unfortunately for the Commonwealth, in 2462 - just three years after the Lyran armed forces first successfully deployed BattleMechs on the battlefield - a number of disaffected employees from the BattleMech factory on Alarion defected to the Free Worlds League, taking the technical details needed for the League to begin its own manufacturing program with them. Archon Alistair Steiner was furious at the loss and had the security staff responsible for guarding these industrial and technological secrets tried for treason through inaction, imprisoning many for life and even executing several.
As the Star League Defense Force completed the first wave of attacks in Operation MAILED FIST - the name given to the Star League intervention into the civil war that had been raging across the Rim Worlds Republic since 2575 - reprisal attacks from Republican forces against worlds within the Lyran Commonwealth were anticipated. What wasn't anticipated was the Rim Worlds Army launching a successful deep raid against Alarion, a secure interior world within the Commonwealth and an important industrial world.
The unit responsible for the raid was the Fourth Amaris Fusiliers, a unit which supported the Rim Provisional Government and which was assigned as the garrison unit for the worlds of New India and Urjala. A battalion from the Fourth managed to evade the various border patrols established by the SLDF and the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces and traveled to Alarion, which at the time was three jumps away from the border between the Republic and the Commonwealth.
The raiding party from the Fourth grounded on Alarion on the 9th of December 2581, having been mistaken for an ore-carrying vessel from Carlisle that was expected to arrive at around the same time; the Fusiliers landed at the port facility attached the planetary capital of Craiova, achieving total surprise over the local forces when their BattleMechs emerged and began to wreak havoc. The Fusiliers managed to inflict substantial damage to the port before retreating back to their DropShip and fighting a running eight-day space battle with the local LCAF contingent all the way back to their waiting JumpShip.
The repercussions of the raid on Alarion went beyond the substantial disruption to the local economy caused by the raid itself; Archon Viola Steiner-Dinesen believed that the raid was evidence that the Rim Worlds Army was far more capable and aggressive than the planning assumptions made by the SLDF had indicated, and that the scope of Operation MAILED FIST should be broadened to include the entire of the Rim Worlds Republic rather than those worlds in close proximity to the Dark Nebula. This put the Archon at odds with General Nathan Isaacson, the SLDF officer commanding Task Force MAILED FIST, causing a rift that would last for the duration of the campaign, but the threat of the Archon removing the logistical and economic support provided by the Commonwealth was enough to convince the SLDF to broaden the scope of Operation MAILED FIST.
FedCom Civil war
By the end of the FedCom Civil War the population of Alarion had settled almost all of the islands on the planet as well as the vast majority of the two major continents, with five million people living in the planetary capital city, Craiova, alone. Craiova was also home to the second largest spaceport on the city; the largest spaceport was actually located within the Bowie Industries factory complex. Alarion was ringed with satellite facilities that supported the Port Sydney Naval Shipyards, which at the time were the only shipyards in the Lyran Alliance capable of both maintaining and manufacturing WarShips, and the Alliance had founded the Alarion Naval Academy on the planet accordingly.
Despite the damage inflicted on worlds in the Alarion Province by the deep raids conducted by the Free Worlds League Military during the late thirtieth century the population of Alarion itself held no particular grudge against the Free Worlds League, placing blame instead at the feet of Archon Alessandro Steiner. As a consequence many companies on Alarion were still willing to trade with the League.
Despite the apparent equanimity of the population regarding the League, tensions were high on the planet because of Duke Anatoly Serfass' actions during the FedCom Civil War, with pressure mounting among the public for him to step down because of his support for Archon Katherine Steiner and his jailing of a number of prominent anti-war protestors.
The Word of Blake struck at Alarion on the 12th of April 3069, the same day they attacked the Federated Suns world of Galax, evidently targeting systems capable of manufacturing WarShips. The Blakist forces didn't only use WarShips to demolish the shipyards in the Alarion system and seize every vessel capable of jumping for their own purposes; they also poisoned Alarion's ecosphere with an intensely powerful bioweapon. The only vessel to avoid capture or destruction was the Mjolnir-class WarShip LAS Fylgia, which managed to escape from the Alarion system.
The news agency Donegal Broadcasting Company sent a vessel packed with advanced sensor equipment to the Alarion system in early April 3078 to investigate Alarion from orbit, to see if they could identify any signs of life; the ship spent five days in orbit, looking for hope that someone had survived the combination of nuclear and biological weapons the Word of Blake had rained down the planet. The sensors confirmed that the satellites in orbit were still transmitting, but that no signals were being broadcast for them to carry; equally, while two broadcasting stations were found to be active in the northern hemisphere of Alarion, investigation confirmed that the two stations were running on emergency power and were simply bouncing static back and forth to each other.
- 2341 - No record 
- 2462 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2571 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2764 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3075 - Lyran Alliance (dead or dying world) 
- 3079 - No record 
- 3081 - Lyran Alliance (dead or dying world)
- 3085 - No record
- 3130 - No record 
- 3135 - No record 
- 3145 - No record 
3062 - 3067
- Duke Anatoly Serfass
Alarion has two continents, which the colonists named New Brunswick and New Jordan as well as numerous tropical islands.
| Closest 32 systems (31 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
|Stellaris||38.2||Reese Station||42.1||Nuelson Minor||42.3||Zaprudy||45.8|
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 164, "Alarion Planet Profile"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 73-74, "Alarion"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 21, "Lyran Military Superiority"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 132-133, "Alarion (December 2581)"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 66, "Alarion: World In Recovery?"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25, "Rim Worlds Republic At the Fall of the Star League "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Field Manual: SLDF, Inner Sphere - 
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere - 3075"
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 19, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 126, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 139, "First Succession War Deployment Table - LCAF"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 118, "Unit Deployment Table"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p.44, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p.45, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- 20 Year Update, p. 71, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 51, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 179, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: LAAF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Shattered Sphere